You don't have HD, do you?

Nope, why? Doesn't that work in HD?

Philips DTiVo PVR (DTV/R10)
Hughes DTiVo PVR (GXCEB0T)
markz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #152 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

I find it very amusing that we're having the "it's a black foot", it's a white foot" conversation. We were having the same debate over the prisoner in the basement on Desperate Housewives. In this case it really doesn't matter since we know nothing about Alex's father. Personally, I assumed the person with the bear was Alex. If she's a teenager and was born on the island and raised by The Others, she may not exactly be the most mature, well-adjusted teenager on the planet... hence the continued attachment to the bear.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #153 (Print)
mqpickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30mpwrd
Not that it matters, but isn't this the first time we've had flashbacks from two survivor's memories in the same episode?

I was going to mention the same thing.
mqpickles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #154 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
I don't understand why Sawyer would want to stage a jailbreak and then when given the chance to join Michael and Jun, he doesn't take it.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #155 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
Except, of course, for the kidnapping, shooting, torching their raft, and leaving them to die.

But yeah, they *looked* it.

Have we seen that teddy bear before? It seems familiar, but it IS a teddy bear, so I'm not sure if it's from Lost or not.

The people who are hunting the tail survivors seem to be much more brutal. The people on the boat didn't shoot Sawyer until he pulled a gun and surely didn't stick around to make sure everyone was dead. The M.O. of the people hunting the tail section people would be more like jumping on the raft and killing them right away then taking Walt . As they did it, it was more like "the sea killing them" or however the saying goes.....

Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #156 (Print)
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man

Note that last season, Danielle initially assumed that Sayid was one of "the others". Perhaps she encounters "others" from various groups from time to time, and since some of them are clearly really malevolent, she has learned that any "stranger" is someone to be extremely wary of.

I thought she said that she has NEVER seen them. Only that she hears them whisper in the jungle.
danieljanderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #157 (Print)
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

The dirty legs seemed dirty in all the same places. I don't twins or clones, I just think sloppy editing.
danieljanderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #158 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Not that it matters, but isn't this the first time we've had flashbacks from two survivor's memories in the same episode?

In a regular episode yes, but the finale (Exodus) of last season had multiple points of view in the flashbacks.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.

Last edited by hefe : 10-20-2005 at 11:00 AM.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #159 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:

So the others have attacked and killed the second set of survivors to the point that they feel the need to constantly hide their location. Why haven't the others attacked / killed off a bunch of the main group? Maybe they want something from the tail section survivors even more than they wanted Walt, something that they haven't yet been able to take?

Maybe the pickings were so good at the tail section, they have not needed to bother the front people so much.

Maybe Russo was right in her prediction at the end of last season and not about the boat, the others were coming, but they were coming for the tail section people, not the ones on the beach.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #160 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljanderson
I thought she said that she has NEVER seen them. Only that she hears them whisper in the jungle.

From last season's episode, Solitary:
Quote:
SAYID: Your distress signal -- the message I heard -- you said, "It killed them all."
(She stands up and takes a couple steps away from Sayid.)
DANIELLE ROUSSEAU: We were coming back from the Black Rock. (She turns around.) It was them. They were the carriers.
SAYID: Who were the carriers?
DANIELLE ROUSSEAU: The others.
SAYID: (not following) What others? What is the Black Rock? Have you seen other people on this island?
DANIELLE ROUSSEAU: No. But I hear them. Out there in the jungle. They whisper.
(She turns and looks at Sayid. He has a sad look on his face as he considers what she's saying.)
DANIELLE ROUSSEAU: You think I'm insane.
(Silently, he shakes his head.)
SAYID: I think you've been alone for too long.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #161 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

More thoughts on the "multiple sets of Others" idea:

The Whisperers - Not much is known about them, but based on their whispers (transcripts of which can be found here) they don't appear to be insanely malevalent.

The Wildmen - Definitely dangerous. So far, only the tail-section survivors have encountered them (although, they may be about to lead them to the fuselage survivors). It's possible that they are the same group as the Whisperers, since there was some discussion among the Whisperers about either killing or capturing Sawyer and Sayid. And the Wildmen may not have had a "choice" in killing the tail-section survivors if they were closer to whatever it is the Whisperers/Wildmen are protecting.

The Syndicate - Organized. Equipped. These include Ethan and the Boatmen (wasn't that a 60's group?). They may be the remnant of the Dharma Initiative, but that's by no means clear. As far as we know, they don't have access to the underground bunker. Desmond was only a proxy link to TDI, so we've never actually met a member of the TDI for certain.

I'm leaning toward the theory that The Syndicate is a remnant of one of the Dharma groups, which was independent of the "Swan", which explains why they don't know about the Hatch. I'm not sure how the Wildmen/Whisperers fit in. They could be remnants of other Dharma projects, or guenia pigs from one or more of the projects.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #162 (Print)
JMikeD
Professional Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
My captioning turns on whenever I hit mute.

That's a brilliant idea! I wish my TV did that.
JMikeD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #163 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
Ethan and the Boatmen (wasn't that a 60's group?).

Echo and the Bunnymen were late 80s, early 90s.
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #164 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

I'm surprised nobody's commented on Sawyer's crack about the Tail Survivors planning on eating them. Wasn't that idea tossed around in last week's thread?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #165 (Print)
Martin Tupper
Not Actual Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
Maybe the pickings were so good at the tail section, they have not needed to bother the front people so much.

Maybe Russo was right in her prediction at the end of last season and not about the boat, the others were coming, but they were coming for the tail section people, not the ones on the beach.

By island time, the boat has only been gone 4 days, and Russeau warned them of the impending attack after the boat left. The tail people's knowledge and fear of teh others leads me to believe that they have been under assault longer than 4 days.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:13 AM   #166 (Print)
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
I'm surprised nobody's commented on Sawyer's crack about the Tail Survivors planning on eating them. Wasn't that idea tossed around in last week's thread?

Wow...someone better start getting on Sawyer for 'smeeking'

Old 10-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #167 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

OK, a variety of comments.

First, the tailies say that they have "trust issues". Kate said the exact same thing in her first flashback (to the farmer about her hiding her money).

Second, I'm not certain that Kate was really looking for a message from Sawyer. After all, Sawyer was on the raft; why would he write a message? Especially one to her, since he was leaving with it. No, I think she was looking to see if any notes said anything like "Hey, we've got escaped fugitive Kate on the Island, come get her! (Do I get a reward?)"

OK, wild speculation time (no spoiler box since this is purely wild speculation).
<WildSpeculation>
Jack mentioned his wife again last night when he told Sun the story about losing his wedding ring. Apparently his wife was away at the time, since he had time to search everywhere then get a duplicate made. So, let's assume that his wife traveled at lot.

Suppose that the reason Jack is no longer married is that his wife died. In a plane crash. Somewhere in the Pacific... Hmmm....
</WildSpeculation>

Finally, for everyone who is saying they are tired of all the flashbacks and want more focus on the mysteries of the Island. Well, I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof, the producers, have said that they consider this show to be about the characters first and the island mysteries second. In fact, they say that the people focusing on the island mysteries are a minority of their viewers. Cites:

( from http://www.usatoday.com/life/televi...st-inside_x.htm )
Quote:
Lost producers acknowledge a smaller, vocal fan base deeply interested in "cult" aspects of the show, but they say the show's huge audience — it was last week's third-most-watched program with 23.2 million viewers — indicates broader interest. The writers seek balance, executive producer Damon Lindelof says.

Although the producers are interested in advancing the mysteries of the island, "the real story we're trying to tell is about the people," Lindelof says. "We attribute (the large audience) to the fact that people are really watching the characters, so we try to focus on that.

( from http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/...s.ap/index.html )
Quote:
"Lost" co-creator Damon Lindelof said viewers can relate to the characters, often picking their favorites.

"At the end of the day, the show at its core is about the characters," he said. "I think the reason people really love this show is they find the island mysteries are compelling, but they watch every week because they really bond with the people."

( from http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.c...50947168140.htm )
Quote:
Damon Lindelof: I know that the big criticism of the show is that we don’t give satisfactory answers to our mysteries. I would just hope that the fans exercise patience and restraint and remember that the show is primarily about the characters and what they are going through on the show. That if the fans trust us the answers will come. I think that the problem with a show like Twin Peaks, people look back on it fondly, but they say “Once we found out who killed Laura Palmer, I wasn’t interested in the show anymore.” So, the fact is, every time we answer a mystery, we have to lay seeds for a new mystery. I think that gives the audience the illusion that we are always engaging in some sort of con game with them. But that is just the nature of the beast. Moving forward into season two, you will find out in the first five minutes of the season premiere, what’s in the hatch. Once you find out what’s in the hatch, that is going to create more questions as to how it got there and what it’s purpose is. The truth is in there… I would hope.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.

Last edited by tanstaafl : 10-20-2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #168 (Print)
mmilton80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966

I was on the cannibal bandwagon. When Sawyer made the comment, I was excited. I hope that some tribe is cannibal on this island.
mmilton80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #169 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth
When will we find out more about the black smoke that drags people into the Earth?
I'm in no hurry. I'm guessing the answer to that will be the jump-the-shark moment for the show. Not that the answer will be lame; only that it's such a big question that when it's finally answered a lot of the mystery of the island will be taken away.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #170 (Print)
Cboath
Lurker Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljanderson
The dirty legs seemed dirty in all the same places. I don't twins or clones, I just think sloppy editing.

I disagree. It was kindof obvious, and I am thinking intentional. To what end I have no idea, but this show is better than "sloppy editing".

Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #171 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
Nope, why? Doesn't that work in HD?

With the HD-TiVos it can be only be done with the receiver's CC, not the TV's. And there's no on/off button for them, it takes about 4-5 steps through the menus to turn them on or off.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #172 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilton80
I was on the cannibal bandwagon. When Sawyer made the comment, I was excited. I hope that some tribe is cannibal on this island.

Well, whichever "others" were seen last night, they're clearly not cannibals. Why would they have staked that one person that Jin found, and not eat him?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #173 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
With the HD-TiVos it can be only be done with the receiver's CC, not the TV's. And there's no on/off button for them, it takes about 4-5 steps through the menus to turn them on or off.

That's my biggest annoyance with the HD TiVo. One button push would be sweet.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #174 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl
OK, wild speculation time (no spoiler box since this is purely wild speculation).
<WildSpeculation>
Jack mentioned his wife again last night when he told Sun the story about losing his wedding ring. Apparently his wife was away at the time, since he had time to search everywhere then get a duplicate made. So, let's assume that his wife traveled at lot.

Suppose that the reason Jack is no longer married is that his wife died. In a plane crash. Somewhere in the Pacific... Hmmm....
</WildSpeculation>

Oh, if you REALLY want wild speculation...
<WildSpeculation>
Jack is no longer married because he caught his wife having an affair. We eventually find out she was having an affair with Sawyer, who had targeted them for his scam because they had no children.
</WildSpeculation>

Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #175 (Print)
canyonero!
Weak. Powerful Weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchO
Echo and the Bunnymen were late 80s, early 90s.

And they have a great new album too

I can't believe the negative reaction from some people about this episode. If you want everything wrapped up for you in a neat package right away, watch a movie. This show is meant to keep us guessing for weeks, months, and hopefully years.

Each episode can't be the same either. Why do they have to keep showing the bunker? We know what's happening. Locke coordinated shifts for people to press the numbers every 108 minutes. When something new happens with that, we'll find out.

Desmond? He's gone! Until he comes back. It's pretty clear the island is pretty large, so it's not like Jack & Co. are going to setup a search party for him.

Each episode this season has been very different, in subject matter, tone, and over all mood. I love it. This episode wasn't pointless. Could it have been edited down and combined with another one? Probably, but you could say that about every episode I bet.

I for one love the flashbacks. Yes, this week didn't have a huge twist to it, but then again, most don't. Other than "Walkabout", most of last season's flashbacks were simple character back-stories.

In Damon Lindelof I trust.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Oh and put me down for thinking Shannon gets killed off as well. I had read AICN before watching the show, and if you watch the preview for next week, they show Shannon at the same time as the announcer says "... will be lost forever."
canyonero! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #176 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76
The people who are hunting the tail survivors seem to be much more brutal. The people on the boat didn't shoot Sawyer until he pulled a gun and surely didn't stick around to make sure everyone was dead. The M.O. of the people hunting the tail section people would be more like jumping on the raft and killing them right away then taking Walt . As they did it, it was more like "the sea killing them" or however the saying goes.....

I got your point, I was kidding with my reply. Based on appearances I'm doubtful that they're from the same group of people. Although I don't think we really know enough about the brutality of the M.O. of the "others" who Ana-Lucia, Libby, Mr. Eko, et. al. are afraid of, the ones whose legs and feet we saw. But we do know that they don't leave tracks, and unless there was just a lull in the conversation, they keep quiet while walking around the island. The people on the boat didn't seem to make any such efforts. Sure, Mr. Eko said that "they" have Walt, but we really don't know that for certain.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #177 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy
Well, whichever "others" were seen last night, they're clearly not cannibals. Why would they have staked that one person that Jin found, and not eat him?

I thought the cannibal speculation was about the tail section survivors themselves. For survival purposes only I mean, like in Alive.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 10-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #178 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
I thought the cannibal speculation was about the tail section survivors themselves. For survival purposes only I mean, like in Alive.

ohhhh yeah.... Well, if they had been cannibals, Sawyer surely would have been a goner. a) annoying Anna-Lucia, b) already tenderized with the gunshot wound and multiple blows to the head, and c) pre-salted through his sea voyage.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #179 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Oh, if you REALLY want wild speculation...
<WildSpeculation>
Jack is no longer married because he caught his wife having an affair. We eventually find out she was having an affair with Sawyer, who had targeted them for his scam because they had no children.
</WildSpeculation>

Actually, that may not be so wild, considering all the character connections in this show. Plus, the writers may not have thought of it yet, and you may have given them the idea.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #180 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
ohhhh yeah.... Well, if they had been cannibals, Sawyer surely would have been a goner. a) annoying Anna-Lucia, b) already tenderized with the gunshot wound and multiple blows to the head, and c) pre-salted through his sea voyage.

Yeah I don't think they are, anymore, but it was my first thought when they took them into the cave and Libby said "there were [23 of us]." Plus, in Alive, they didn't actually kill the people they ate.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704