TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #151 (Print)
mearlus

I added our two Tivo's to the list shortly after the announcement and got the update today when I got home from work on both boxes.

I'd just suggest being patient. *shrug*
mearlus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #152 (Print)
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67
OK, so now that we know 7.2.1 really does exist, and that there really is a way to get it downloaded to our machines, and that some folks have actually received it, and that it introduces clipping and so on, the $20,000 question is:

Does it resolve the DVD burning issues the Toshiba machines have been exhibiting since 7.2 was sent out? Will these machines continue to churn out coasters three out of four burn attempts?

I remember reading a few posts where using a cleaning disk took care of DVD problems. You might want to try this first.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #153 (Print)
Peter000
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to Peter000
Just got my update... didn't even realize it was happening. Fantastic.
Peter000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 AM   #154 (Print)
toughcrowd

I got it today, three days after priority list. I love when the priority list works. Thanks.
toughcrowd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:40 AM   #155 (Print)
E94Allen

It depends on what channels in this case in CartoonNetwork such as DragonBalls I would perfer it to be clipped at ending instead of beginning because DragonBalls ends at :25 then other show on same channel start 5min after ( :30). I use DragonBalls as example because I do watch that show so I do know.
E94Allen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #156 (Print)
thezoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
You may want to double check you went to the correct page. Prior to Tuesday going to http://www.tivo.com/priority took you to old the 4.1 priority list upgrade. If you weren't on http://research.tivo.com/72.1priority/ you should probably reenter it again.

BTW I just got it this evening.

yeah I went to the 72.1priority link.. I also got it last night too! :-)
thezoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #157 (Print)
bmgoodman

Beware the possible long reboot!

I signed up on the priority list and got my download last night. I did a manual restart of the Tivo to install it and was a bit surprised to see a warning that the installation could take an hour or longer! It's no big deal if you are prepared for that length of time, but don't think you can do a "fast" reboot just before a scheduled recording. Just FYI.
bmgoodman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #158 (Print)
thezoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I signed up on the priority list and got my download last night. I did a manual restart of the Tivo to install it and was a bit surprised to see a warning that the installation could take an hour or longer! It's no big deal if you are prepared for that length of time, but don't think you can do a "fast" reboot just before a scheduled recording. Just FYI.

I think its always said that.. it never takes more then 15 mins to install. The download took over a hour and a half.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #159 (Print)
Stu_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoo
I think its always said that.. it never takes more then 15 mins to install. The download took over a hour and a half.

Using a modem are you? The download took my Networked tivo about a couple minutes (although I wasn't watching the clock).
'course it then had to then unpack the file which took a while longer, at which point I let the wife watch Gilmore Girls..so not quite sure how long that took.
Stu_Bee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #160 (Print)
thezoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
Using a modem are you? The download took my Networked tivo about a couple minutes (although I wasn't watching the clock).
'course it then had to then unpack the file which took a while longer, at which point I let the wife watch Gilmore Girls..so not quite sure how long that took.

yeah.. Im using the modem. I had to disco the cable modem a few months back.. trying to save some money. I wish I had it now tho with Galleon and all the HME and HMO apps.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #161 (Print)
tazzftw

Oh, so it IS suppost to take that long on a modem.

I let the download go on for a little over and hour last night. I got so frustered, thinking that the connection locked out that I disconnected and started over. After I connected again, it only took a few minutes.
tazzftw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #162 (Print)
MickeS

I was a little freaked out by the "This may take an hour to install, possibly longer", because I had a recording scheduled about half an hour later. Luckily, it only took maybe 10-15 minutes.

I signed up for the priority list on Monday, and got the update when I connected manually last night (Wednesday) around 6 PM (previous connection was around 8 AM yesterday morning, and there was nothing there for me then).
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #163 (Print)
HookedOnTivo
This is my title

Got it Tuesday. Never signed up. Didn't even know where was a update coming.
HookedOnTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #164 (Print)
VinceA

Send a message via ICQ to VinceA Send a message via AIM to VinceA
Got it on all three of my Series 2's last night. I signed up on the first day the priority list was made available.
VinceA is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #165 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
yes that was the old behavior,

but now it seems like since 7.1 that the TiVo will automatically reboot at 2am even if a show is recording. there have been reports of this happening. I bet it had to do with enough calls of someone who always had a show recording at 2am and not getting the reboot.

OK - I am happy to report my TiVo did not do this bug. When I saw I had a pending restart I looked and indeed had a recurring recording of "The Division" going each night from 1:30am to 2:30 am -
the TiVo did do a restart sometime during the night but I had the full recording of the Division.

so maybe it will restart when you are just watching something but it did not reatrt for me with a recording going.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #166 (Print)
juanian

I also had a recording going at 2 AM this morning, and I found my TiVo rebooted with 7.2.1 and didn't pre-empt the recording. So, it must have rebooted before or after that show.

The problem I didn't get a chance to test is if a reboot still occurs during a "Save to VCR". I have had this occur twice in the past (I start downloading some shows before I go to bed). Since I didn't notice the pending restart last night, I wasn't able to test it. (It is very annoying to find that a show being saved to a DVD is interrupted due to a reboot, especially if the other shows previously transferred to the DVD have already been deleted from my TiVo.)

Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #167 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Got mine early this morning after signing up on the priority list three days ago. I had set my TiVo to record a replay of a hockey game at 2 a.m. (which is normally around the time my TiVo updates) with the recording ending at 4:30. TiVo updated at 5:30 a.m. getting the 7.2.1 update and all is well.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #168 (Print)
timon

I can't get clipping to work with CSI and ER but I can with Lost and CSI:NY. I'm checking the "To Do" list, after waiting a while, to see what's going to record and clip after making the changes. This is what I've found so far.

If I set CSI:NY to follow Lost in the SP then CSI:NY gets clipped.

If I set ER to follow CSI in the SP then CSI gets clipped.

I've moved ER and CSI all over my SP and no way can I get the start of ER to clip. It's always the end of CSI.

The only difference I see is that Lost runs overtime and ER start early.

Anyone else seen this?
timon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #169 (Print)
mchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon
... and no way can I get the start of ER to clip.
Is this a typo, or did you mean this?

E-Ring (ER) airs first, so the only way to clip the start of ER would be to have a conflicting show air before it... CSI and Lost both air after it...

edit:
In the above scenario, I've set my SP's as ER-Lost-CSI, which then causes the beginning of CSI to be clipped, not the end.

Is that another typo in your post? The only way to get CSI to be clipped at the end would be to have a conflicting show after it... ER and Lost both air before it...

Quote:
It's always the end of CSI.

edit2:
I then changed my SP's, switching Lost and CSI (ER, CSI, then Lost), resulting in Lost now being clipped at the end. Note this change didn't take place immediately after moving my SP's around... it was several minutes (the update to the To Do List isn't real time):

Note: The only two shows here that are affected by clipping are Lost and CSI, because Lost overlaps CSI by 5 minutes. ER and Lost do not overlap, unless you've padded one or the other.

edit3:
Edited to remove ':NY' from 'CSI' for easier readability.

(4) S2 TiVo's, all upgraded

Last edited by mchips : 11-13-2005 at 12:18 AM.
mchips is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #170 (Print)
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchips
I then changed my SP's, switching Lost and CSI: NY (ER, CSI: NY, then Lost), resulting in Lost now being clipped at the end.

Glad you got it to make sense , but why would you want to clip the end of "Lost"? Personally, I rather clip the beginning of a show than the end.
ebf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #171 (Print)
mchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf
Glad you got it to make sense , but why would you want to clip the end of "Lost"? Personally, I rather clip the beginning of a show than the end.
I only did it as an example, because he said he was switching all of his SP's around, and no matter what he did, CSI was the show that always got clipped (although he said, 'at the end,' which can't be right).

So, I was just demonstrating how it's supposed to work. I actually have a Lost SP on another TiVo, and only added it here to try to duplicate timon's problem.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #172 (Print)
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchips
I only did it as an example...

Ah! I confused the posters... Hope it makes sense to timon now!
ebf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #173 (Print)
mchips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf
Ah! I confused the posters... Hope it makes sense to timon now!
I just combined the two posts into one to hopefullly make it a little less confusing...

Old 11-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #174 (Print)
skanter

Got 7.2 three days after signing on priority list.

Question: how does Tivo know which show to clip if it is NOT a SP?

skanter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #175 (Print)
timon

I meant just what I posted. I'm not talking about E-Ring I'm talking about "ER". Let me restate but with added times and days to make it clearer.

All of the follow are as shown in the to-do list. I have no idea if this is what it will do later in the week when it's recorded.

If I set CSI:NY (Wed 10-11PM) to follow Lost (Wed 9-10:05PM) in the SP then the beging of CSI:NY gets clipped as it should.

If I set ER (Thur 9:59-11PM) to follow CSI (Thur 9-10PM) in the SP then the end of CSI gets clipped when the begining of ER should get clipped.

The CSI to ER overlap is the one that's been talked about for a long time so one would think that TiVo would have tested it. Either that or I'm doing something wrong.

I hope that makes things clear.

One more think, how do you capture pages of the to-do list so you can past them to the posts?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #176 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

Bizarre! As I read your post, you're describing what appears in the To-Do list (that's great that it tells you what's going to be clipped)... rather than what actually GOT CLIPPED.

You'll have to report back what actually happens! With luck, the To-Do list display is what's wrong, not the clipping program. Otherwise, here comes 7.2.2
TiVoEvan74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #177 (Print)
mchips

Quote:
I hope that makes things clear.
Yes, thanks... it makes a whole lot more sense now... there are just too many CSI's on the air...

I'll play around with the Thur. night eps and see if I can duplicate your problem and post back.

Quote:
One more think, how do you capture pages of the to-do list so you can past them to the posts?
I record the TiVo screen through a stand-alone DVD Recorder, write it to a DVD-RW, then capture a frame via my PC.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #178 (Print)
timon

This is getting more and more bazar. Now CSI:NY is set to not record because of a conflict. The only conflict I can find is LOST unless something else popped in. I'm still looking into this but it looks to me like TiVo has a problem with this option.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #179 (Print)
mchips

Quote:
This is getting more and more bazar. Now CSI:NY is set to not record because of a conflict. The only conflict I can find is LOST unless something else popped in. I'm still looking into this but it looks to me like TiVo has a problem with this option.
The problem's not with the TiVo...

Lost is now scheduled to run 9 minutes over instead of the previous 5. Clipping/Overlap protection only works with shows that have 5 minutes or less of overlap.

Last edited by mchips : 11-13-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #180 (Print)
juanian

Video playback delay after pause fixed with 7.2.1

One of the more annoying "features" of 7.2.0 was the change in how the video playback resumed after a pause (in order to address better synchronization between the video and audio). When pressing Play after the TiVo had been paused, a video frame from about 1 second after the paused point is displayed, and then the audio is started. Once the audio caught up to the video's point, the video would be resumed.

I just noticed that this terrible 1 second video pause/skip has been eliminated in 7.2.1 . (I was planning to call TiVo support to complain about this, but (as you can tell) I can't quite get a grasp on how to describe it clearly.) Did anyone else notice this behavior with 7.2?

(So you thought that 7.2.1 only dealt with Overlap Protection™? )

I can confirm that the To Do List refresh bug still exists with 7.2.1. (If you have a big To Do List, and if you go to the To Do List and leave it quickly (like to check History), the To Do List display will be truncated.) See "To Do List" bug for more details.