THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #61 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet
Because MM now broadcasts for the other 12 hours a day shared on the ITV News slot so that ITV4 could be launched.
Actually there was no change to MM - ITV News was reduced to 6am to 6pm to allow ITV4 to broadcast from 6pm to 6am.

MM is still a 24 hour transmission (but not 24 hour programmes)

Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #62 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat
Actually there was no change to MM - ITV News was reduced to 6am to 6pm to allow ITV4 to broadcast from 6pm to 6am.

MM is still a 24 hour transmission (but not 24 hour programmes)

I think the plan is that MM is only 12 hours a day once ITV's Kids channel is launched in spring 2006?
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #63 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

I think you may find that ITV Kids will take over the 6am to 6pm slot from ITV News when it closes.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #64 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
I think you may find that ITV Kids will take over the 6am to 6pm slot from ITV News when it closes.

You mean when ITV News channel closes on Freeview or closes on all tv platforms? I must say if its not on Freeview then ITV might as well throw in the towel on ITV News as Sky Digital has CNN, Euronews, CNBC, Fox News and Bloomberg competing against ITV News in addition to Sky News and BBC News 24 on digital satellite and cable.

BBC News 24 and Sky News are miles better in my humble opinion.

I must say that for an otherwise cynical money grabbing organisation Sky's spend on two low advertising revenue generating tv news channels is quite impressive.

By the way are any of you aware of this new loony Ofcom proposal where it suggests flogging off a third of the current analogue tv bandwidth to mobile phone companies etc after digital switchover rather than giving us more Freeview channels or HDTV channels on DTT.

Some of you guys might feel like putting in a response to this.

www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2005/11/nr_20051117

You can send an email to judith.ross@ofcom.org.uk to try and help shape the ideas they put in th formal consultation document in a year or so's time. You might perhaps like to express hostility to the idea of no HDTV on Freeview/DTT.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #65 (Print)
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindlemon
What I'd like to know is, why is ITV News (ch 81) only broadcast for about 12 hours a day? Do they think nobody wants to see the news after 6pm?

On Sky it's 24 hr. I hope it is otherwise I'm wasting my time working for it after 1800

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS.
Ashley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #66 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
On Sky it's 24 hr. I hope it is otherwise I'm waisting my time working for it after 1800

I'm interested to hear we have on ITV News worker on here Ashley.

But what exactly are your viewing figures for ITV News after it goes off the air on Freeview?

I suppose when ITV gets the right to boot some of the shopping channels off the Mux it has bought off SDN ITV News may be able to return to Freeview in all its former glory?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #67 (Print)
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

I work freelance for ITN, which means I work for ITV News, London News and C4 News. The ITV News Channel is only part of what I do.

I don't know any viewing figures for the News Channel.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #68 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
I work freelance for ITN, which means I work for ITV News, London News and C4 News. The ITV News Channel is only part of what I do.

I don't know any viewing figures for the News Channel.

It seems ITV News Channel had 0.13% of the viewing audience compared to 0.53% for BBC News 24 and 0.62% for Sky News based on figures a few months ago after the election. And that was before the major cutback in its viewing hours on Freeview.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3...-103685,00.html

I have a horrible feeling that most of those awful 09 quiz show channels in fact now get higher viewing figures than ITV News Channel.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #69 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Quote:
By the way are any of you aware of this new loony Ofcom proposal where it suggests flogging off a third of the current analogue tv bandwidth to mobile phone companies etc after digital switchover rather than giving us more Freeview channels or HDTV channels on DTT..

If you read the document you'll find that more channels and HDTV is one of the options they are considering.

But selling off at least part of the spectrum has always been the objective of analogue switchoff.

So you'd have to say that yes, we're aware of it and perhaps you are the only one who wasn't!

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 05:24 PM   #70 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderton
If you read the document you'll find that more channels and HDTV is one of the options they are considering.

But selling off at least part of the spectrum has always been the objective of analogue switchoff.

So you'd have to say that yes, we're aware of it and perhaps you are the only one who wasn't!

Is that the Royal We then Stuart?

Selling off part of the spectrum has always been a possible objective of digital switchover but by no means a certain one. And I very much doubt that almost anyone else in the forum apart from you was aware of this latest release from Ofcom before I published the link.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #71 (Print)
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Quote:
It seems ITV News Channel had 0.13% of the viewing audience compared to 0.53% for BBC News 24 and 0.62% for Sky News based on figures a few months ago after the election. And that was before the major cutback in its viewing hours on Freeview.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3...-103685,00.html

I have a horrible feeling that most of those awful 09 quiz show channels in fact now get higher viewing figures than ITV News Channel.

That I can beleive!

One of those programmes is made at ITN in the old C5 News studio.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #72 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I was referring to the fact that the switchoff was to free up spectrum to be sold. That falls firmly into the "common knowledge" category. Why else do you think switchoff was happening in the first place?

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #73 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that the switchoff was to free up spectrum to be sold. That falls firmly into the "common knowledge" category. Why else do you think switchoff was happening in the first place?

Ummm well so the dtt signal power levels could be turned up significantly so far more of us than 75% could get around 36 channels through just our aerials and/or so that the number of digital channels on DTT could be further increased to 60/70 or so.

Of course if BT switch the whole phone system to an IP based network and broadband television really takes off perhaps the whole idea of an aerial and/or even satellite based television will be redundant in another 10 years or so. Apart from those unlucky people living say 7km from their exchange who will still need a satellite dish or perhaps may be able to get boosted DTT.

I noticed there was muttering in the Ofcom document about the freed up tv spectrum being perfect for providing wireless broadband services in rural areas. Although I think they have in mind WiMax knowing that broadband unbundling of small rural exchanges with only 200/300 lines is probably never going to happen.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #74 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

And the Governmnet cares about power levels on DTT transmissions because.... er....

They are not spending millions and risking screwing around with people's TVs (a very dangerous game for a Goverment) to increase reception of BBC4 in outlying areas.

Switchover only became an option in the immediate aftermath of the Government making billions for the 3G auction.

Lots of possibilities have raised over the years. For a long time it looked as though mobile phone companies would buy it all for video transmission to handhelds - certainly the smart money was on that.

But the figures that Freeview slots are going for now, plus the fact that moobile phone companies realised that they screwed up on 3G makes at least some TV much more likely.

And more salable to the electorate by Prime Minister Brown.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #75 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Quote:
Sorry ndunlavey its a dog eat dog world out there now called the free market.

So instead of one new channel every 6 years on analogue tv you get a new channel or two on Freeview every month, while the less popular channels get wiped out to make way for them. Just be thankful you don't have Sky Digital where channels appear and disappear almost daily.

Sounds too much like hard work to me to bother to keep up. I suppose if I care enpough I rescan a few times a year and see what shows up. I guess if these people cared enough about market they'd tried to communicate better.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #76 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Quote:
They are not spending millions and risking screwing around with people's TVs (a very dangerous game for a Goverment) to increase reception of BBC4 in outlying areas.

I think they must have done the opposite of that in one of the recent Freeview reshuffles. My parents can n o longer get any of the channels of the multiplex that carries BBC4, but get most other stuff.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #77 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Quote:
Seems you were right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4527932.stm

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #78 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindlemon

Hooray. ITV News has always been a rubbish channel run on a shoestring compared to BBC News 24 or Sky News. Its interesting that Sky an otherwise ruthlessly commercial company runs such a professional news channel with high editorial standards and values when they must surely lose a huge amount of money on it. I presume its important for corporate prestige though to show that Sky is a serious broadcaster.

I would hope that someone would consider getting CNN or Euronews on to Freeview instead but since ITV owns the slot am not hopeful. 24 hour Men & Motors seems to be the more likely outcome.

Euronews is clearly run on even more of a shoestring than ITV News (eg no studio news presenters) but is actually interesting because it doesn't just cover the same subject matter as BBC News 24 and Sky News. I really do think that Freeview ought to have an internationally oriented news channel like CNN or Euronews to balance things up.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 AM   #79 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

ITV News is on 6am to 6pm on Freeview - as I said back in post #63 - I think you'll find that ITV Kids will take over the Freeview slot.

ITV Kids launches at around the same time as ITV News closes - and will be on air 6am to 6pm.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:38 AM   #80 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
ITV News is on 6am to 6pm on Freeview - as I said back in post #63 - I think you'll find that ITV Kids will take over the Freeview slot.

ITV Kids launches at around the same time as ITV News closes - and will be on air 6am to 6pm.

I would still like to see Euronews or CNN appear on Freeview as a third news channel but clearly this would rely on a separate deal with National Grid Wireless (nee Crown Castle) or on one of the shopping channels being cleared off the Freeview airwaves when its current contract comes to an end.

I could make a post in Digital Spy's digital terrestrial forum but the debate there these days is so utterly childish that I don't think there would really be much point. Are there any better web forums than Digital Spy these days to discuss Freeview issues?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #81 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Two 24hr news channels is plenty IMHO.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #82 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
Two 24hr news channels is plenty IMHO.

Two 24 hour mainly UK focused news channels is plenty I agree. Even one would be plenty.

However I do think there is room for either CNN or Euronews to give the Freeviewer a rather more internationally flavoured news alternative. After all they seem to find a market on the Sky platform where capacity constraints are not an issue.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #83 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

CNN used to be good - but not anymore. Has to many pre-recorded programmes.

Doesn't cover breaking news very well anymore.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #84 (Print)
Captain Scarlet

Quote:
CNN used to be good - but not anymore. Has to many pre-recorded programmes.

Doesn't cover breaking news very well anymore.

I agree regarding CNN on the whole. Although the level of its coverage of the Buncefield oil disaster last Sunday was considerably more balanced than the complete hysteria and utter feeding frenzy engaged in by the three domestic 24 hour news channels.

My preference would be Euronews, which is clearly run on an absolute shoestring (no presenter in a glossy studio and instead just a few cheap multilingual voice over staff) but is very effective in showing all kinds of stories you would never ever get to see on the three British 24 hour news channels.

However I suspect that for the Freeview marketing coalition that CNN would be a better name for marketing if they could some how find a way to bring them on board. What does the C3&4 multiplex contract say about the total level of news output I wonder?