TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #151 (Print)
miscellaneous

1. I just read the last 4 pages of this, and finally came around to the realization of what it meant in an earlier post: 'she asked for a reduced shooting schedule, and he said the only way was to kill the character off.' She's definitely going to be around in flashbacks as they further develop backstories and show different characters in backgrounds of shots and things like that. Yes, it will be greatly reduced, but she's gotta still be there.

2. I had no idea the height difference there; Shannon looks like an Amazon next to those two. Suddenly, she's a lot hotter in my eyes (I like taller women).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS
She does clean up nice.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #152 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
One thing that has me confused about people assuming it's Shannon that's dead... in the previews it said "One of these people will die" or something like that. Shannon's face did not appear during that voiceover. Sawyer's did. Of course there was the line "He's already dead" referring to Sawyer. That could be taken literally or not. I'm confused.

I'm hoping that next week's episode shows the two groups coming together, and then the flashbacks show the tailies. I would not want to see an episode that is only about the tailies and not the original group, especially since this week we didn't see Kate or Jack. I caught him in the hospital scene... I was looking for him too.

It was a qualified assumption for me, I haven't completely ruled out the possibility you mentioned, although I don't think that line was meant to be taken literally.

It's possible they'll show scenes on the plane or the airport in which people from the main group appear. I also don't want another week of no Kate, I'll have to break out the season 1 DVDs.

And I didn't see Jack, even though I thought of it right away when Shannon got that phone call. But I wasn't looking that hard because I didn't think that we really needed to see him to get confirmation of the connection. I guess they needed to provide a glimpse for anyone who hadn't made the connection already.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #153 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscellaneous
She's definitely going to be around in flashbacks as they further develop backstories and show different characters in backgrounds of shots and things like that. Yes, it will be greatly reduced, but she's gotta still be there.

Do you have a source for that, or is it just your speculation? I said earlier that I think there's still a lot of backstory to be told about them, but I just don't see how they'd segue to it with Shannon and Boone both dead. Perhaps in backgrounds or crossing paths with someone, but not to a Shannon and/or Boone-focused backstory.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #154 (Print)
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers
What did the comment that beyotch lady say to Mr. Eko mean when she said "I liked you better when you didn't speak/talk."?

I'd guess he went into a state of shock after the crash and didn't talk for days/weeks.
LordKronos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #155 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
Do you have a source for that, or is it just your speculation? I said earlier that I think there's still a lot of backstory to be told about them, but I just don't see how they'd segue to it with Shannon and Boone both dead. Perhaps in backgrounds or crossing paths with someone, but not to a Shannon and/or Boone-focused backstory.

Maybe Boone will rise from the grave!!!

Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #156 (Print)
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

Quote:
What did the comment that beyotch lady say to Mr. Eko mean when she said "I liked you better when you didn't speak/talk."?

I wonder if he was mute before the crash, and now, similar Locke, he can talk.
danieljanderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #157 (Print)
fsck_101

Send a message via Yahoo to fsck_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscellaneous
2. I had no idea the height difference there; Shannon looks like an Amazon next to those two. Suddenly, she's a lot hotter in my eyes (I like taller women).

IMDB lists Maggie Grace as 5'9", Evangeline Lilly at 5'5", and Emilie de Ravin at 5'2".

They're all hot, but I'll take Claire
fsck_101 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #158 (Print)
loswald
fairly consistent

This may have been mentioned before so I'll keep it short.

If Shannon was 18 when her father died, she would have been 18 when Jack met/saved his wife and met Desmond. According to Hurleys census she was 20 when the plane crashed.

I don't think it matters, but just another bit of information.
loswald is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #159 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
I saw Jack in the hospital just fine.. immeadiately. And I don't have HD.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #160 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljanderson
I wonder if he was mute before the crash, and now, similar Locke, he can talk.

I was thinking the same thing.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #161 (Print)
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by loswald
This may have been mentioned before so I'll keep it short.

If Shannon was 18 when her father died, she would have been 18 when Jack met/saved his wife and met Desmond. According to Hurleys census she was 20 when the plane crashed.

I don't think it matters, but just another bit of information.

That would make Jack's marriage shorter than I thought.
cherry ghost is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #162 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:

When the Tailies first captured Mike/Sawyer/Jin, Mr. Eko was pretending to be a non-English-speaking savage. I thought that's what she was referencing.
thenightfly42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #163 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Too bad her friend/roommate/dance class partner wasn't on the plane ...

No question, she can be my au pair anytime. Who was the actress playing that role?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #164 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
I'm also astounded at the people who think this was a boring episode!

The flashbacks were a little on the dull side, but there was a lot of juicy stuff in the island action:

There was a lot of stuff that could have been good, but was poorly handled. The love/hate/love thing going on with Sawyer/Michael/Jin has no dramatic motive from scene to scene. I've never bought the Sayid/Shannon love story (it started out pretty good in an earlier episode, with Shannon looking for a sugar-daddy and Sayid putting her in her place, but lately it's been far too Harlequin for my taste). Shannon's turn from "ohh, Sayid!" to "you don't believe me!, wahhh..." was too quick for me.

After giving it a little thought, my real complaint is not that the story is moving to slowly, but rather too quickly, at least where the character interactions are concerned. It's difficult for the writers to cut between so many storylines in each episode and still give each one the attention it deserves. I'd like for them to move the island plot along a little quicker and move the character interactions along a little slower, if that's possible.

The worst possible thing they can do is try to force the character development along by skipping key dramatic moments while dragging the island plot in an attempt to increase the suspense--which is what they did in this episode. The reluctance of the tailies to share information is a good example. Here, the writers were trying to increase the suspense by withholding information from us, but all they ended up doing was making the Ana character even more annoying.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #165 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
Didn't like this ep at all. I've never liked the Sayid-Shannon storyline. I just can't buy the young preppy rich bitch hooking up with the greasy-permed Iraqi. Just a little creepy to me. And their "tender moments" were eye-rollingly bad. Is this the type of "character-centered" storyline that the producers are so sure are the reason for the show's success? Bleh! Less Hallmark more Hatch, please!

Through the whole lovey-dovey sequence, I was praying for something, anything to interrupt them. If it were any show but Lost, I might have fastforwarded the scene. I don't really like Walt, but I've never been happier to see his character.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #166 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

I found that the two possible deaths in this episode didn't really affect me. Nor did Boone's death last season. Somehow for me, it is the show, rather than the characters. (Just keep Hurley and Locke alive, anyone else is fair game IMHO.)
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #167 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

I still maintain that it's possible that Mr. Eko was not on the plane. He seems a bit too comfortable on the island. OTOH, I suppose if we had been watching the tail folks for a year and just met our survivors, I may think the same thing about Locke.
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #168 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
Prediction - Very last episode X number of people get off, and Hurley throws them a HUUUUGE party

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #169 (Print)
Todd
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew
I have no doubt that Shannon is dead. No spoiler, just seems quite obvious to me. Call it a hunch.

Yeh, but then this island apparently has strange healing powers, so who knows....
Todd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #170 (Print)
cherry ghost

from "man of science...man of faith"

EMT: Female, late 20's, no ID. She coded twice on the way over here.

NURSE: Where's the other one?

EMT: Right behind us. They're on their way. Fire Department had to use the jaws.

INTERN: What we got here? What the hell is that thing?

JACK [walking into the room]: Piece of the steering column. All right, let's go. Keep that collar steady. You page my father?

INTERN: Already did.

JACK [to EMT]: Tell me.

EMT: Her tire blew, car jumped the divider, went head-on with an SUV.

NURSE: BP's dropping.

JACK: Pericardial's pierced. Was she driving?

EMT: Yeah, alone.

JACK: Where's the driver of the SUV?

[A man is wheeled in on a gurney.]

EMT #2: Adam Rutherford, 57, chest trauma, no breath sounds.

but then last night, the doctor tells Mrs. Rutherford that her husband was in a head-on collision with an SUV. Were they both driving SUVs, did the doctor make a mistake, or was there a third car/SUV involved in the crash? Or, it could be sloppy writing.
cherry ghost is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #171 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamijc
I thought that, too. They hid his face a lot and shot him from the side or behind.
To me it looked like he was wearing a ton of makeup, which was distracting.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #172 (Print)
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally Posted by durvivor
EW reports about this weeks episode

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

In the scene where they are getting stretcher saywer up the hill, there is a cave on screen and you can just make out a figure? Anyone see it?

I've reviewed that scene twice and didn't see anything like that ...

Old 11-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #173 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Anyone else thought that one of the girl ballerinas was going to be Shannon?
Yes, I think that's what we were supposed to think. Nice misdirection.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #174 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
It's subject to debate whether it's certain she was the same character, but it's definitely the same actress. I don't think she (the character) was even named in either instance. Probably the most trivial connection, if it is at all, at least based on what we know currently. Would be interesting to see if they develop it some day, but given the likely brief relationship between her and Sawyer, and the trivial nature of her connection to Hurley, I'd be surprised if they ever did. I just don't see how they'd re-introduce her.
I see this as evidence that the flashbacks are not the real world, but some Matrix or Truman Show type of thing. The same car hits multiple characters, the same legal conference room is used for two scenes where a parent is about to give up a child, the same woman is two different characters. The castaways flashbacks overlap so much you'd almost think they didn't live on Earth, but in some smaller simulated world where overlapping experiences would be far more likely. I think this theory is a long shot, but evidence that supports it continues to accumulate.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #175 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid
I see this as evidence that the flashbacks are not the real world, but some Matrix or Truman Show type of thing. The same car hits multiple characters, the same legal conference room is used for two scenes where a parent is about to give up a child, the same woman is two different characters. The castaways flashbacks overlap so much you'd almost think they didn't live on Earth, but in some smaller simulated world where overlapping experiences would be far more likely. I think this theory is a long shot, but evidence that supports it continues to accumulate.

Maybe there is another explanation. The actress in question happens to be the real life wife of the actor who plays Michael.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #176 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
I too thought at first that there was a cave in that tree when they had to hoist Sawyer up. They all seemed to look at the same spot for a bit. I thought maybe they were going to make camp there or something.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #177 (Print)
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

I think next weeks episode will be a communal gathering of all the survivors. Sayid takes shannon and the rest of em back to base camp. Jack does what he can to bandage everyone up, ect. Now, Jack with his excellent leadership skills demands the tailies tell their story. Reluctantly, Ana Lucia tells the story from the beginning.

Basicallly, the story of of the tailies is the flashback for the episode. What do you think?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #178 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost
but then last night, the doctor tells Mrs. Rutherford that her husband was in a head-on collision with an SUV. Were they both driving SUVs, did the doctor make a mistake, or was there a third car/SUV involved in the crash? Or, it could be sloppy writing.

I wondered about that too, especially since we had had a discussion about the origin of the term SUV. Good catch.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #179 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse
I've reviewed that scene twice and didn't see anything like that ...

Just watched the eps again... I was specifically looking, but saw nothing.

There was no mistaking Ian Somerhalder. Even though we saw his name in the opening credits, we both gasped in unison when they first showed him. I had forgotten how painfully beautiful he is.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #180 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by danplaysbass
Basicallly, the story of of the tailies is the flashback for the episode. What do you think?

The previews made it sound like we would be seeing the tailies' story from the beginning - starting with the plane crash. I think that there will be numerous episodes with little or no development of the original group's story.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it would be a bold and interesting move.