Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #31 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Doh! Both my TiVo's re downloading simultaneously... and we've got two computers actively surfing the net. What are my odds of success?
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #32 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Doh! Both my TiVo's re downloading simultaneously... and we've got two computers actively surfing the net. What are my odds of success?

I've only got the one TiVo, for now, and it started downloading before The Simpsons started running at 6:00(according to it's position in the now playing list anyway), and it's now 6:40 and only 14 minutes into my download(e.g. the length of Red Trousers shows as 0:14). It seems that either it's a VERY big file, or they're trickling it down so that they don't swamp the connection or recieiving TiVo. So hopefully, you'll eventually end up with two good downloads. In any event, good luck!
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #33 (Print)
pdhenry

Yep. It's downloading while at the same time Good Eats is recording. 17 minutes downloaded as I type. I expect it is slower than real time...
pdhenry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #34 (Print)
pdhenry

Now mine is downloading the cNet video and the Red Trousers download has disappeared...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #35 (Print)
ufo4sale

Is it to late to sign up for this thing?
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #36 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Mine's still going but only downloaded 8 minutes in the last hour or so.

It's on a b wireless so it'll take awhile.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #37 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
Is it to late to sign up for this thing?

Nope. Actually, the sign up website will probably be up for a couple of more weeks. If you like the movie, tell your friends.

Pony

Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #38 (Print)
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

Send a message via ICQ to knuckles
Looks good, but why can't I transfer it to my pc? I wanted to take it with me over the Thanksgiving holliday, but it doesn't look as if I will be able. I guess I will have to watch it later.
knuckles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #39 (Print)
tazzftw

Here's a question. How much room does it actually take? It's downloading on my TiVo now, and it appears that it's going to take all night. I don't want to wake up with several shows gone.
tazzftw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #40 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
I checked my recording history and saw this message:
Quote:
TiVo Video Download Trial: "Red Trousers: The Life of the Hong Kong Statement" on Tue 11/22 5:14 PM.

This program was not downloaded onto this DVR because its download type was unsupported

Is there any explanation for this? Currently the CNet clip is downloading, but I seem to be having packet loss issues with my cable connection at the moment.

Do these clips resume if the connection is lost?

Will it try to download again or do I have to sign up again?

Edit - I noticed my clocks were blinking meaning I had a brief power outage today, but I'm not sure what effect that would have on the download. The TiVo is on a UPS as is my router and cable modem. My wireless bridge that the TiVo is plugged into is not though meaning the connection would be lost.

Last edited by morac : 11-22-2005 at 11:36 PM.
morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #41 (Print)
peteypete

Mine's downloading now. Yippee.

I wonder if tivo can tell what the default record quality setting is on individual tivos and then send appropriate sized files to the individual tivos.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #42 (Print)
Tow2A
Tow2A

Alright!!! Mine has about 1 hour downloaded right now. Cannot watch until the whole thing downlaods though Has anyone gotten the CNET stuff yet? I can't wait for that either
Tow2A is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:56 PM   #43 (Print)
uTivo

I was about 47 minutes into the download of Red Trousers and got the message saying it cannot be viewed until d/l is complete, yada yada, press "Select" to continue. After I pressed select, it transitioned to the blank brown/orange screen with the "Tivo - Playing" animation/graphic and has not gone back to the Now Playing screen yet. It's been over 10 minutes and no key press can get it out of this state. I think I have crashed the Tivo! Has anyone seen this anomaly when attempting to play the non complete download?

I have a 240 S2 connected via a Netgear 11b wireless adapter.
uTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 01:26 AM   #44 (Print)
jstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry
Now mine is downloading the cNet video and the Red Trousers download has disappeared...

It seems that the c/net download has priority, similar to priorities of season passes. The same thing happened to mine. The c/net download was half done, but I decided to cancel it because I'm not currently interested in digital camera reviews. After I cancelled the c/net download, the Red Trousers download started again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
I checked my recording history and saw this message:

Quote:
TiVo Video Download Trial: "Red Trousers: The Life of the Hong Kong Statement" on Tue 11/22 5:14 PM.

This program was not downloaded onto this DVR because its download type was unsupported

Mine said the same thing, but the Red Trousers downloaded started again after I cancelled the c/net one, so I think this "unsupported format" message is bogus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzftw
Here's a question. How much room does it actually take? It's downloading on my TiVo now, and it appears that it's going to take all night. I don't want to wake up with several shows gone.

My Red Trousers download was about one and a half hours of completed download before it was interrupted. According to my TiVo Desktop program, it was around 3.3 GB large at that point. That seems to be about the size that a show recorded at best quality would be for the same time span. I think Red Trousers will end up being around 4 GB and will be very good quality video.
jstr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 AM   #45 (Print)
jstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles
Looks good, but why can't I transfer it to my pc? I wanted to take it with me over the Thanksgiving holliday, but it doesn't look as if I will be able. I guess I will have to watch it later.

According to Red Trousers description:
"Due to the policy set by the copyright holder, this recording cannot be transfered to VCR, DVD, or any other media device. To learn more, visit www.tivo.com/copyprotection."

That's too bad. This looked like a good candidate for recording to DVD. I love martial arts movies and this behind the scenes look at these stuntmen definitely would of been a keeper.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:38 AM   #46 (Print)
peteypete

Got the whole movie. Kinda nice to get a whole feature film. Quality is pretty good with all the action movement.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #47 (Print)
jstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
Got the whole movie. Kinda nice to get a whole feature film. Quality is pretty good with all the action movement.

Glad to hear someone has completed the download and that the quality is good. I was just on the Tai Seng Entertainment website and was glad to discover that this will be in letterbox format. BTW, the Red Trousers DVD goes for around $16, so this is really a great treat that we are getting from TiVo. I'm going to make sure I send TiVo an email to say thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #48 (Print)
peteypete

It is letterbox and it's actually quite an interesting show. I was afraid it was going to be cheezy but it's shows what the stunt guys do behind the scenes. They are crazy.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #49 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
It seems that either it's a VERY big file, or they're trickling it down so that they don't swamp the connection or recieiving TiVo.

It seems like it's probably both! After a couple hours of downloading, I only had like 18 minutes or so of content. Then again, my TiVo units are wireless which don't get the throughput of a wired unit.

I didn't think to check this AM before coming in to work to see if they arrived, but I assume they're waiting for me... I'm leaving work early to try and avoid the holiday traffic in and out of town - which means I gots some Red Trousers on my afternoon agenda. (Somehow I don't think my fiance will dig it, so I have to watch on my time rather than our time)
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #50 (Print)
pdhenry

Looks my my download started again overnight - one minute (!) downloaded so far.

Hope it's finished before Sunday night...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #51 (Print)
morac

Well my Internet service at my house completely died shortly after writing my previous message and it's still out so I can't try anything. My TV service is also having issues at this point (got to love Comcast).

Anyway, the C-Net download that was nearly finished stopped at 13 minutes (partial), but trying to play it results in the following error:
Quote:
The TiVo DVR was not able to record this program because there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel you don't receive
The above error makes no sense since there is 13 minutes of the show you'd think it would play.

I also noticed that right above this in my now playing list was the Red Trousers video listed as 0 minutes (partial). Trying to play that gives a message that more needs to be downloaded in order to play. Since my net connection is down, I don't know if it would actually try to download at that point or not.

It seems like there needs to be some kind of user control of when downloads are allowed to occur and the ability to pause and resume (or retry) the downloads in case of conncetion problems.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #52 (Print)
cheerdude

I had noticed that it was downloading last night (wireless) - However, this morning, I cannot find it in my Now Playing list.

Does this mean that the d/l did not complete and that TiVo is going to try again later this evening?

You are coming to Vegas in late June.... right?
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #53 (Print)
uTivo

Update: It looks like only the UI (tivoworld?) crashed since the download completed and other scheduled shows recorded. I still had to power cycle the Tivo this morning .

Quote:
I was about 47 minutes into the download of Red Trousers and got the message saying it cannot be viewed until d/l is complete, yada yada, press "Select" to continue. After I pressed select, it transitioned to the blank brown/orange screen with the "Tivo - Playing" animation/graphic and has not gone back to the Now Playing screen yet. It's been over 10 minutes and no key press can get it out of this state. I think I have crashed the Tivo! Has anyone seen this anomaly when attempting to play the non complete download?

I have a 240 S2 connected via a Netgear 11b wireless adapter.
uTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #54 (Print)
pdhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
Does this mean that the d/l did not complete and that TiVo is going to try again later this evening?
Hope so - that's what mine appears to have done...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #55 (Print)
mportuesi
glassy-eyed zombie

Letterbox, but not anamorphic

My copy was downloading late last night, and it is now finished this morning.

As others have said, this movie is letterboxed, but it is not presented in anamorphic widescreen (like a widescreen DVD). At least I couldn't figure out how to get it to display native widescreen (I have set my TiVo to 16:9 widescreen under the Settings > Video menu).

So, in order to watch it on my widescreen set, I have to "zoom" on the letterboxed picture. The result fills the screen, but it's pretty low-res.

Was the decision to letterbox the movie deliberate? I was under the impression that TiVo could present anamorphic widescreen content via download. Would have been nice to see how an anamorphic movie download via compares to a DVD.
mportuesi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #56 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mportuesi
Was the decision to letterbox the movie deliberate? I was under the impression that TiVo could present anamorphic widescreen content via download. Would have been nice to see how an anamorphic movie download via compares to a DVD.

Since anamorphic content isn't any different, storage-format-wise (other than potentially some flagging that doesn't matter significantly), a TiVo is more than capable of playing it (correcting for anamorphism is a display thing, not a playback device thing.)

Of course, TiVo would have to know, per-downloading-TiVo, whether or not the display device attached to the TiVo is capable of handling anamorphic video. The "widescreen" setting might be a good choice for that, but I don't know if it factors in at all (apparently, it didn't for this download.)

Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #57 (Print)
pdhenry

I'm still at one minute - maybe this isn't going to work for me after all...
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #58 (Print)
morac

Well my home internet connection is back up, but because it was down when this tried to download I ended up with a 0 minute "Trial Video Download" show which I ended up deleting.

How can I get my TiVo to redownload the video. Will adding my TSN to the request list again work?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #59 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

For the few people that have run into issues...

Can you take a moment and send me a private message with your TSN, a short description of the issue (include the error message if any), and the time this occurred?

If we detect on our side that the download failed another download will be automatically scheduled sometime in the next few days. But providing the information above to me in a private message will help us correlate what you're seeing on your side with what we see on ours (and will also make sure that we're aware of your issue).

Thanks!
Pony

Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #60 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Oh, and for those that are enjoying the movie...I'll pass your happiness on to the team.

I told you it was cool, didn't I?

Pony