TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #61 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
My son has seen the trailers and commercials for the movie Zathura. He really wants to see it. I'm concerned that it may be a little bit much for him, seeing as he's only 3 years old.

Rather than spend a lot of money on a movie he might want to leave, I decided to rent Jumanji and watch it at home. My reasoning was that if he did OK with Jumanji, a similar movie with a similar plot line, than he should do OK with Zathura.

We watched it on Saturday and he did OK, only getting nervous in a few spots. We had to stop about a half hour before the end to go out for the evening. Now, he doesn't want to finish it. I think it has frightened him a little. I told him that if we don't finish Jumanji, it must mean he doesn't want to see Zathura. He insists he still does.

What do you all think? Should we take him to Zathura or is he too young to handle it? If I pay all that money, he's by-God gonna sit there and watch the whole thing, I don't care how scared it makes him.

Help me decide. I just don't want to waste that kind of money.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #62 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Then check the thread!



last I checked, she had not received it.

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #63 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #64 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
last I checked, she had not received it.



Hmm.

Let's see here. When was the last you checked? A few days ago? Now what would be the most efficient way to get the latest info or read the content of any additional posts to that thread...

Hmm...


I suppose we could talk about it here for a few minutes...
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #65 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDing
I'm thinking of buying a new home theater receiver.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?



A YAMaha.

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #66 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Hmm.

Let's see here. When was the last you checked? A few days ago? Now what would be the most efficient way to get the latest info or read the content of any additional posts to that thread...

Hmm...


I suppose we could talk about it here for a few minutes...



I think yesterday.. I guess I was expecting to see her start a new thread in some place othe then a ghetto.




(Please let it be a Hilary Duff CD )

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #67 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDing
My son has seen the trailers and commercials for the movie Zathura. He really wants to see it. I'm concerned that it may be a little bit much for him, seeing as he's only 3 years old.

Rather than spend a lot of money on a movie he might want to leave, I decided to rent Jumanji and watch it at home. My reasoning was that if he did OK with Jumanji, a similar movie with a similar plot line, than he should do OK with Zathura.

We watched it on Saturday and he did OK, only getting nervous in a few spots. We had to stop about a half hour before the end to go out for the evening. Now, he doesn't want to finish it. I think it has frightened him a little. I told him that if we don't finish Jumanji, it must mean he doesn't want to see Zathura. He insists he still does.

What do you all think? Should we take him to Zathura or is he too young to handle it? If I pay all that money, he's by-God gonna sit there and watch the whole thing, I don't care how scared it makes him.

Help me decide. I just don't want to waste that kind of money.

I think if there are any questions at all, then you should choose a different movie. There is no shortage of appropriate children's movies. How about that Wallace and Gromit movie?

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #68 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I think yesterday.. I guess I was expecting to see her start a new thread in some place othe then a ghetto.




(Please let it be a Hilary Duff CD )



Now, if it were a Hilary Duff CD, wouldn't that be a little suspicious? Like I'd chosen the contents of the Mystery Prize only *after* the winner was determined?

That wouldn't be very fun (nor fair) now, would it?
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #69 (Print)
sschwart
It sucks to be me
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 6,143
Send a message via AIM to sschwart
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be interesting if a mod shuffled a thread OUT of the nut house that jumped fof from under 15k to over 15k...

Wait.. who's fof? is he the guy that's moonlighting with our evil twins?
sschwart is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #70 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwart
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be interesting if a mod shuffled a thread OUT of the nut house that jumped fof from under 15k to over 15k...

Wait.. who's fof? is he the guy that's moonlighting with our evil twins?

Who's to say which twins are the evil ones...?

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #71 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I think if there are any questions at all, then you should choose a different movie. There is no shortage of appropriate children's movies. How about that Wallace and Gromit movie?

Well, we already saw Wallace and Gromit. I think that's where he saw the Zathura trailer to begin with.

I'm really not worried about my son's well being. That's really secondary or tertiary.

I'm just concerned about my hard earned money going down the drain.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #72 (Print)
dansee
Now Slothier!
 
dansee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pleasant Valley, MO
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via AIM to dansee Send a message via Yahoo to dansee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I think if there are any questions at all, then you should choose a different movie. There is no shortage of appropriate children's movies. How about that Wallace and Gromit movie?

Or that Jarhead movie... perfect fun and frivolity for the holidays. For kids of all ages.
dansee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #73 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwart
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be interesting if a mod shuffled a thread OUT of the nut house that jumped fof from under 15k to over 15k...

Wait.. who's fof? is he the guy that's moonlighting with our evil twins?

Intersting proposition.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #74 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwart
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be interesting if a mod shuffled a thread OUT of the nut house that jumped fof from under 15k to over 15k...

Wait.. who's fof? is he the guy that's moonlighting with our evil twins?


That's an AWSOME idea!!!

Hey Matt, why can't you come up with stuff like that?

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #75 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
I'll be in Pheonix, AZ at the end of Feburary and I was wondering if there are any TCFers in the area that would like to get together.

Anybody interested in having a day of activities, capped off with a fun dinner?
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #76 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Now, if it were a Hilary Duff CD, wouldn't that be a little suspicious? Like I'd chosen the contents of the Mystery Prize only *after* the winner was determined?

That wouldn't be very fun (nor fair) now, would it?



well, yes. But the CD could have been something added in as a "bonus".

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #77 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDing
I'll be in Pheonix, AZ at the end of Feburary and I was wondering if there are any TCFers in the area that would like to get together.

Anybody interested in having a day of activities, capped off with a fun dinner?

I've always wanted to go there at Spring Training time. Maybe if you hold off a couple weeks.

I hiked up Camelback Mountain last time I was there. But I hear it's a less strenuous trek up Cameltoe Mountain...

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #78 (Print)
dansee
Now Slothier!
 
dansee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pleasant Valley, MO
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via AIM to dansee Send a message via Yahoo to dansee
That's because you don't have to use your tongue when you climb Camelback...
dansee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #79 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I've always wanted to go there at Spring Training time. Maybe if you hold off a couple weeks.

I hiked up Camelback Mountain last time I was there. But I hear it's a less strenuous trek up Cameltoe Mountain...

I hadn't thought about Spring Training. Maybe I could reschedule my dates.

That was a great idea hefe. We should contiue to exchange ideas about some sort of gathering.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #80 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Oops. I couldn't help it.

I just posted in Meets.
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #81 (Print)
dansee
Now Slothier!
 
dansee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pleasant Valley, MO
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via AIM to dansee Send a message via Yahoo to dansee
I knew a girl named April once. She was hot.
dansee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #82 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDing
I hadn't thought about Spring Training. Maybe I could reschedule my dates.

That was a great idea hefe. We should contiue to exchange ideas about some sort of gathering.

In addition to exchanging these ideas about achieving close corporeal proximity with other members, perhaps we can also discuss the underlying religious implications of our our nation's foreign policy decisions...

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #83 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Stop!

More fun!

NOW!



<sigh>


What's that saying about "the best laid plans?"


Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #84 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Stop!

More fun!

NOW!



<sigh>


What's that saying about "the best laid plans?"




They are made in Intercourse?

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #85 (Print)
MattDing
Registered User
 
MattDing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,454
Send a message via AIM to MattDing
I really enjoyed the book Of Mice and Men.

Steinbeck was a very compelling novelist. It really captures a person's search for self.

Anyone else love this book?
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #86 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer

What's that saying about "the best laid plans?"


Ah yes...from a stanza of To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough written in 1785 by Robert Burns, from which we get the title of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

Quote:
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murd'ring pattle!

I'm truly sorry man's dominion,
Has broken nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!

Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin!
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's winds ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
An' weary winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell-
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee mony a weary nibble!
Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald,
To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld!

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,

An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me
The present only toucheth thee:
But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!


"The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men/Gang aft agley" [i.e., "So often go awry"].

This idea of unforeseeable failure applies to Lennie, George, and Candy's plan to buy a farm on which Lennie will tend rabbits.

Now if these rabbits had pancakes on their heads, that might be fun. But we don't want to encourage that.

__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #87 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDing
I really enjoyed the book Of Mice and Men.

Steinbeck was a very compelling novelist. It really captures a person's search for self.

Anyone else love this book?



I liked Lenny.

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #88 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,104
Send a message via AIM to Fofer


Now the question is, did MattDing know all of that? The whole "best laid plans" and Mice and Men connection?

If so, dude's a genius!
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #89 (Print)
dansee
Now Slothier!
 
dansee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pleasant Valley, MO
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via AIM to dansee Send a message via Yahoo to dansee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I liked Lenny.

I was more of a Squiggy fan.
dansee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #90 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer


Now the question is, did MattDing know all of that? The whole "best laid plans" and Mice and Men connection?

If so, dude's a genius!

Who wouldn't know that?

It's basic... like knowing how to figure the area of a circle...



__________________
JPTMFITF4O5TISMO
Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > The Fun House

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index