THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #31 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Isn't it impossible to RMA an OEM drive?

Probably a hassle I'd imagine. Never had to.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #32 (Print)
GTO40
Tivo Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to GTO40
Maxtor, Seagates, & IBM's now at 1.5 years out since my first upgrade with no problems.

IMHO, A harddrive's 24/7 - 365 continuously moving parts functioning without a break is a bit much to not expect failure at some point. As harddrive prices have declined, (even as the drives have increased in size), upgrading makes more sense to consider a part of DVR life. One could view a harddrive similar to tires on a car, which at 40000+ miles need replacing
GTO40 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #33 (Print)
austin61

I have two Seagates and one WD. All have worked flawlessly. The Seagate were quiet right from the start. The WD was unbelievably noisy when I first installed it. I read about a utility on the upgrade site that was successful in quieting the drive down.

I upgrade these quite a while ago so two are 120gb and one is a 160gb. I'd like to upgrade them to bigger drives, but I don't want to lose the recordings. It's my understanding that you can only upgrade to a larger drive once and keep your recordings. Am I right?
austin61 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #34 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin61
I have two Seagates and one WD. All have worked flawlessly. The Seagate were quiet right from the start. The WD was unbelievably noisy when I first installed it. I read about a utility on the upgrade site that was successful in quieting the drive down.

I upgrade these quite a while ago so two are 120gb and one is a 160gb. I'd like to upgrade them to bigger drives, but I don't want to lose the recordings. It's my understanding that you can only upgrade to a larger drive once and keep your recordings. Am I right?

I believe this is right.

But if they are S2's, you can transfer shows off of the one you're going to upgrade to the others, then back again once the upgrade is done. A bit of a pain, but it works.

I recently did this on two of mine. Transfers take a long time.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #35 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

To assist in future upgrades, I saved an image of never upgraded 40G CADE (clear and delete everything) current OS (7.2.1oth).

The guided setup now worked flawlessly with my wired ethernet, no phone line needed. And the interface was much easier in dealing with the cable box and lineup.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #36 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO40
Maxtor, Seagates, & IBM's now at 1.5 years out since my first upgrade with no problems.

IMHO, A harddrive's 24/7 - 365 continuously moving parts functioning without a break is a bit much to not expect failure at some point. As harddrive prices have declined, (even as the drives have increased in size), upgrading makes more sense to consider a part of DVR life. One could view a harddrive similar to tires on a car, which at 40000+ miles need replacing

40000 miles? Wow, you must be pretty tough on your cars.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #37 (Print)
Dirac

Or have high-performance tires... mine last about 25000 miles.

Dirac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 AM   #38 (Print)
jsluo

Smile hard drive fan

I used a 200 GB Maxtor that was on sale for $70. Didn't know about the RPM and heat issue until it was too late. However, I managed to add a hard drive fan, the
HDC-502A HDD Cooler under the hard drive in my Series 2.

Only problem I had was that there was no clearance, so I bent the two base mounting tabs flush, and then used zip ties to secure the drive mount.

We shall see if this helps at all. Only problem is that the Tivo is rather noisy, but I have many low noise items in my home (180 gallon fish tank, wine refridgerator, etc.), so I don't really notice the noise!
jsluo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #39 (Print)
GTO40
Tivo Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to GTO40
Three so far - I drive a sport compact car, 40000 miles is about max on a great set of performance tires.
GTO40 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #40 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO40
Three so far - I drive a sport compact car, 40000 miles is about max on a great set of performance tires.

Yeah. Initially I misread it as the car needed replacing at 40000 miles.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #41 (Print)
Dirac

That WOULD be being tough on your car!

Dirac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #42 (Print)
bengalfreak

Is there a reason why this thread is still focused on tires?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #43 (Print)
webcrawlr

I run Seagates in my TiVos. The only reason I went with them was they were the quietest drives at the time (and that's what mattered to me).
webcrawlr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #44 (Print)
scottwood2

I had a Maxtor 80G 5400 RPM for 2 years. Worked well.

I just installed a Maxtor 200G 7400 RPM drive. Works but it seems really noisy.

Don't know about the heat issue someone else was talking about. Does the 200G Maxtors run hot?
scottwood2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #45 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

a 7200 runs hotter than a 5400 for sure

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #46 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
a 7200 runs hotter than a 5400 for sure

Can run hotter, sure. But some 7200's can be cooler than some 5400's. And many can be more than cool enough.

Speed's not that big a deal.

My Samsung's are currently at about 35°C. Just one drive in the case (200G or 160G, in this case).

Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #47 (Print)
scottwood2

So what is concidered too hot (Temperature)?
scottwood2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #48 (Print)
Pizzagod
TiVoMeister

I just checked on one of the OEM drives (Maxtor) I bought from Weaknees, and the warranty was only 1 year. You can RMA the drive if it's still under warranty, but OEM warranties are extremely short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Isn't it impossible to RMA an OEM drive?
Pizzagod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #49 (Print)
Nahmat585

would it be cool to get a BIGG ASS harddrive, like 500 gigs?
Nahmat585 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #50 (Print)
Lannister80

I keep hearing about how great the latest generation of Western Digitals are. The WD3200JB, to be specific. I'm getting 2 next week so I can do a 2x320GB in my Series 2 TCD540080.
  • Very cool running (temp never exceeded 45C even under heaviest loads, a new record for 7200 drives according to Tom's)
  • Quiet (expecially after putting the drives into "quiet" mode)
  • Low power use (8.6W during use), Seagate's ST3250823A 250GB requires 12W)

Check out the review at Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050217/index.html

ZipZoomFly has them for $123.
Lannister80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #51 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzagod
I just checked on one of the OEM drives (Maxtor) I bought from Weaknees, and the warranty was only 1 year. You can RMA the drive if it's still under warranty, but OEM warranties are extremely short.

I'm pretty sure you can't RMA an OEM drive to the manufacturer. You have to send it back to the company you bought it from. I am also pretty sure that most Maxtor drives, as well as WD, have a one year warranty regardless if they are retail or OEM.

Also, are you sure that the Weakness drives are OEM?

Old 12-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #52 (Print)
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

I have had terrible 'luck of the draw' with Maxtors. After the fourth one in 18 months - up and died on me.. I removed them from all my devices. I just don't trust them anymore.

I've replaced with Samsung across the board and I personally have found the reliability to be much much better.

Much like with the tires noted above, your mileage may vary.

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #53 (Print)
GusMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister80
I keep hearing about how great the latest generation of Western Digitals are. The WD3200JB, to be specific. I'm getting 2 next week so I can do a 2x320GB in my Series 2 TCD540080.
  • Very cool running (temp never exceeded 45C even under heaviest loads, a new record for 7200 drives according to Tom's)
  • Quiet (expecially after putting the drives into "quiet" mode)
  • Low power use (8.6W during use), Seagate's ST3250823A 250GB requires 12W)

Can you elaborate a little on the "quiet" mode you are referring to? Is it a utility that comes with the drive? If so, do you have to run it before or after install?
I ask because I just upgraded my DVR80's with WD drives and they do appear to be a little chatty.

Thanks in advance.
GusMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #54 (Print)
Lannister80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan
Can you elaborate a little on the "quiet" mode you are referring to? Is it a utility that comes with the drive? If so, do you have to run it before or after install?
I ask because I just upgraded my DVR80's with WD drives and they do appear to be a little chatty. Thanks in advance.

I don't think it comes with the drives. It's a boot disc ISO you can download (only like 2MB) that you can use to set the head seek mode on a WD drive.

"Quiet" mode is where the seeks aren't as fast or aggressive, meaning the heads will tend to sweep back and forth across most of the surface of the disk (which will cause access time to go up a little) as opposed to zipping back and forth in the fastest way possible (loud). I think it's a Hitachi utility, I know I read about it in another thread on this site, I think it's a pretty common thing to do. Anyone know where to get this ISO?
Lannister80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #55 (Print)
xnevergiveinx

i'd like to check out that utility, i have a hitachi and western digital drive in my series 2

i only use seagate drives. bye bye lifetime!
xnevergiveinx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #56 (Print)
flmgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
Okay, I know dozens of people will say I'm wrong, here goes anyway:

Modern desktop PC drives (the cheapest drives you can buy) are NOT designed for the type of duty cycle that they experience in a TiVo (or any other DVR). Drive manufacturers have designed the current crop of drives to operate in the average PC - where the temperature of the drive rarely exceeds 30°C and the drive operates for an average of 8 hours per day. They are NOT designed to operate reliably in the 40-45°C environment of a TiVo and they are not designed to operate 24 hours per day. They will actually last longer if stopped and restarted every day and operated for a few hours, than if left on 24x7.

Drives designed for use in servers are more expensive BECAUSE they are designed to operate at higher temperatures and in a continuous duty cycle.

Now, I'm not saying that you should go out and buy server drives, or special "DVR" certified drives - they are much more costly. However, the longevity of a particular desktop drive in a TiVo is due more to the luck of the draw than to one manufacturer building "better" drives than another. I operated Maxtor 60GB, 80GB and 120GB drives in my Series 1 DirecTiVos for over 3 years before upgrading to Series 2 units. I currently have Maxtor, Western Digital and Seagate drives in these boxes. If they last 3 years, I'll consider myself lucky. I won't be surprised if one or two fail before then.

So, bottom line...buy the drive with the best warranty, or the lowest price. But realize that unless you enable MRV to offload programming when a drive gets flaky, you probably will lose recordings eventually due to a drive failure.

you might be right or wrong. but i go the cheapest route. i don't even want to deal with warranties and that stuff, that's just a total pain in the a...

i just bought a 250GB drive today for $80.- incl taxes, a hitachi, i didn't even know they made HD's, but hey it was the cheapest. and who cares if it dies after two years ? i'd be happy because i can replace it with a 500GB for the same price, and with more and more HD content i WANT to get a 500GB whenever my 250GB dies...
flmgrip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #57 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip
you might be right or wrong. but i go the cheapest route. i don't even want to deal with warranties and that stuff, that's just a total pain in the a...

i just bought a 250GB drive today for $80.- incl taxes, a hitachi, i didn't even know they made HD's, but hey it was the cheapest. and who cares if it dies after two years ? i'd be happy because i can replace it with a 500GB for the same price, and with more and more HD content i WANT to get a 500GB whenever my 250GB dies...

Planning for failure is not an option when there's a hundred hours of shows I don't want to miss.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #58 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Some drives don't have a util to set the "acoustic managment" in the drive... go to the mfg website and poke around in their support area.

For my Samsung 120GBs (from NewEgg.Com, 3-yr warranty) I was able to download the util from the Samsung website and set them to "quiet mode"... they have slightly less performance that way (not a factor in DVR use) and I cannot even hear them seeking unless I get my ear right up next to my DTivos.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #59 (Print)
GusMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
i'd like to check out that utility, i have a hitachi and western digital drive in my series 2

Give this link a shot. It did work on one WD drive that I have that is not in a Tivo, and as mentioned, it will not work for all drives. However, it will work if it is compatible with the drive.

Scroll down through about 1/2 the list to find the tool.

Hope that helps.
GusMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #60 (Print)
xnevergiveinx

Quote:
Give this link a shot. It did work on one WD drive that I have that is not in a Tivo, and as mentioned, it will not work for all drives. However, it will work if it is compatible with the drive.

Scroll down through about 1/2 the list to find the tool.

Hope that helps.

awesome, i've got about 5 noisy drives to try this thing on, thanks gusman!

i only use seagate drives. bye bye lifetime!
xnevergiveinx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post