THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2005, 07:56 AM   #61 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1
And despite the inclusion of the smiley an originally light-hearted thread starts spiraling downhill.

Good point. I missed ChofuHS's smiley.

ChofuHS and I had an exchange, but it's gone now. Nothing to see here. Move along!

(DMDeane and Appleye1, sorry to make your posts out of context now. Feel free to edit to complete the sweep up on aisle 3!)

There are some nice shots of the exterior here:

http://slacy.com/gallery/v/2004/album163/

This was from our big Giveaway of December 2004. You can see the volleyball court, and the exterior shots look a bit more attractive than in some other photos in this thread.

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 12-04-2005 at 04:11 PM.
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #62 (Print)
Justin Thyme

I visited Apple's HQ in 1981 (hmm- maybe 80)- it was in an industrial park, pretty non descript prefab thing that could have housed an injection molding operation (as many of the neighbors did). Apple logo outside- No one had a clue what was done there- not very many people really knew what a micro was. About where DVRs are today.

Sounds like Tivo HQ is much much nicer on the inside than Apple's was. I really hardly noticed though, as far as I was concerned the atmosphere was electric and quite frankly I or any of my friends would have killed to have been offered a job there. Ok, maybe not my friend who worked at Stanford Research Center.
The only thing better would have been to work here. It may looked a little on the uninspired side, but this is where Apple was born.

My advice to Tivo employees is to take lots of pictures and keep them for posterity- especially the candid ones. People will be amazed to see what it was like in the early pioneering days. You can usually tell the pioneers- they are the ones adept at ducking arrows.

Anyhow, I think this one was posed but rather indicative:

The guy doing all the work is Steve Wozniak. The guy not doing any work is Steve Jobs.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 12-04-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #63 (Print)
usnret

So, what happens if there is a big quake or something, and the MotherShip is out for a month or so?? Is there an "alt site" to provide services to Tivo users??
usnret is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #64 (Print)
ChofuHS

[QUOTE=TiVoOpsMgr]Good point. I missed ChofuHS's smiley.
QUOTE]

Here is another.

Quick check shows I have edited. Got to run to airport to take wife. Will double check later to make sure I completed the job. Let me know if I missed anything due to being in a big hurry!

Joe

(ps thanks, I think I made a good point or two myself, and yes, I do love TiVo!) And want it to be even better!
ChofuHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #65 (Print)
rhuntington3
Howdy!

Howdy Pony! Howdy Stephen! Howdy Bill! Howdy Jerry!

Thanks for sharing with us! Nice pictures!
rhuntington3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #66 (Print)
ChofuHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdeane
If you had done your homework you would have known that TiVo has no control over the DirecTV boxes.
But complaining to TiVo about something that TiVo has no control over, such as DirecTV, is just silly. You're wasting your time here.

Would I be correct in assuming that TiVo entered into a contract with D* which spelled out how much control TiVo would, or would not have over thier own software? If so, this contract was agreed upon by both companies and all of these issues were negotiable at that time.
ChofuHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #67 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnret
So, what happens if there is a big quake or something, and the MotherShip is out for a month or so?? Is there an "alt site" to provide services to Tivo users??
The service and servers that run the "Mothership" are not at our HQ; they're in an earthquake-hardened remote co-location facility with independent power, an amazing sprinkler system, huge concrete walls, armed guards, and guard dogs. (Not kidding!) Photos of that place are grim indeed; it looks like a prison to me. But inside are racks and racks of cages and machines.

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #68 (Print)
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Good point. I missed ChofuHS's smiley.

ChofuHS and I had an exchange, but it's gone now. Nothing to see here. Move along!

(DMDeane and Appleye1, sorry to make your posts out of context now. Feel free to edit to complete the sweep up on aisle 3!)
IMO there is nothing for me to clean up; smileys are not an excuse to plead "protection" from any kind of response because one used a "smiley". IMO it's not a "mistake" that we both "missed" the smiley. Anyway I did miss most of the exchange so I really don't know about most of what you are referring to.

Not intending to divert this thread or anything, just commenting. And now, I invoke thee, smiley protection powers!

Last edited by dmdeane : 12-04-2005 at 10:18 PM.
dmdeane is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #69 (Print)
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChofuHS
Would I be correct in assuming that TiVo entered into a contract with D* which spelled out how much control TiVo would, or would not have over thier own software? If so, this contract was agreed upon by both companies and all of these issues were negotiable at that time.
At the risk of going further off topic.....you (assuming you are a DirecTV subscriber) also entered into a "contract" when you bought a DirecTiVo and signed up for DirecTV service, and part of that involved the fact that DirecTV, and not TiVo, controlled all of the software updates and the DirecTiVo platform as a whole. The only exception to this is if you were paying full price for DirecTiVo many years ago when the platform was still controlled by TiVo; however, as you say TiVo and DirecTV renegotiated that deal, and in exchange for handing over control of the DirecTiVo platform to DirecTV, TiVo also negotated a much, much lower monthly subscription price for DirecTiVo users. So you can have your cake, or you can eat it. But not both.

The fact is, the deal is as it is, and not as it was. You can have a DirecTiVo with low monthly subscription and no software updates, or you can have a TiVo standalone box with lots of software updates but a higher monthly subscription price. DirecTV controls the software on the boxes; you get a lower subscription price. TiVo is no longer in control over the DirecTiVo boxes. You cannot have it both ways, reaping the benefits of DirecTV control but blaming TiVo for DirecTV's refusal to allow software updates. TiVo cannot make any updates without direct approval and authorization from DirecTV, and DirecTV (for many reasons we can speculate about) says no. So you can either sign the petition to DirecTV (if it is still up on this website; I have not looked) or you can complain to DirecTV directly. Since thanks to Murdoch DirecTV may be dumping TiVo entirely, don't expect them to listen to you.

It has always been DirecTV's network, anyway, so they make the rules - TiVo never had an "equal" negotiating position vis a vis DirecTV, and that's not going to change unless the FCC steps in and forces the satellite providers to open up their networks in the same manner as they are doing with the CableCARD standard. In like manner, don't expect the TiVo/Comcast deal to be any different; Comcast will be calling the shots, not TiVo, in deciding how the software works on Comcast's cable boxes. Only the full implemention of CableCARD is going to change this situation and put TiVo in full control over its product - and only on standalone TiVo boxes.

Edit: here's the thread about DirecTV and HMO and other TiVo updates missing from DirecTiVos, and the online petition; rather large thread but worth looking at if you find the subject of interest: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=109505

Anyway......back to the thread's original topic......more candid pics of TiVo office cubicles would be nice. Pics of TiVoShanan would be nicer.

Last edited by dmdeane : 12-04-2005 at 11:05 PM.
dmdeane is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #70 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

The bezel on the top left was the strictly-functional bezel used for the Pioneer 810H & 57H models,one of which you see in the middle of the tall steck in the desk shot. The lack of a door for the DVD tray definitely made it look like an old VCR. Needless to say, aesthetics come into play later in "the process". Several others also never made it into production, including the very limited "the buttons are replaced by pictures of Jerry's coworkers circa 2001" model on the top right!

As for what's under the adapters, that is just a regular ol' Philips DSX5500 sat receiver, which came into my ownership for the creation & testing of IR codes 10064 & 10065.

As for the other stuff in the picture, I'll just whistle, look into the air, and rock back and forth on my feet for a little longer..............

Jerry
TiVo CS Engineer & Grillmeister
TiVo Ninja
TiVoJerry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #71 (Print)
smak

Is that one in the middle left with the big Tivo logo the Friends Tivo that had the extra big camera friendly logo?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #72 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Unofficial guide to the bezels on my wall by panel sections:

Section 1:
Top left is the pioneer proto bezel described above. Below it is the S2 Sony. Below that the S1 Sony.
Top right is the special Jerry model mentioned earlier. Below it is a clear DTV combo bezel. Below that is the original S1 DTV combo bezel.

Section 2:
Top left is one of the original S1 Philips bezels (hdr114). Below it is the the original S2 bezel. Below that is the well known hdr312 (Philips 30hr) bezel.
Top right is the hdr212 (Philips 20hr) (kinda stealthy tactical look IMHO). Below that is a clear S2. Below that is the hdr612 (Philips 60hr, silver)

Section 3 has two prototype DTV combo bezels

I'm starting another wall on the other side of the cubicle opening, but that's not photo-worthy yet (and passersby keep knocking them down by accident, gotta use something besides paperclips to hold them up!).

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #73 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Get pegboard hooks or even coat hanger wire, and glue them to the insides of the bezels.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #74 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

So I can finally let you all know that Megazone was correct in noticing that the TiVo Wireless G Adapter (and its carton) is visible in the second pic. That orange box was one of the oompa loompas I was referring to...

orange..........oompa loompa...................don't mind me, sometimes I think I'm clever.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #75 (Print)
DCIFRTHS

Send a message via AIM to DCIFRTHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
So I can finally let you all know that Megazone was correct in noticing that the TiVo Wireless G Adapter (and its carton) is visible in the second pic. That orange box was one of the oompa loompas I was referring to...

orange..........oompa loompa...................don't mind me, sometimes I think I'm clever.

Is it now available for sale?

EDIT: That's a big YES.

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 12-27-2005 at 04:43 PM.
DCIFRTHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #76 (Print)
DCIFRTHS

Send a message via AIM to DCIFRTHS
Will they be available in retail outlets? If so, which ones?
DCIFRTHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #77 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Only available at the TiVo Store at this time. I do not have an ETA for the move to retail.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #78 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Me and my eagle eyes. :-)

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #79 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

It's days like this that I'm glad I have a red battle helmet! There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 AM   #80 (Print)
SC0TLANDF0REVER

Send a message via AIM to SC0TLANDF0REVER
Quote:

I believe you have my stapler. /milton

Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #81 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
I believe you have my stapler. /milton

It's mine and if you try to take it from me.......I'll.........well.........I'll burn the building down......../me as milton

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #82 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

What great fun thanks for sharing!!!!

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #83 (Print)
mmilton80

Quote:

It's mine and if you try to take it from me.......I'll.........well.........I'll burn the building down......../me as milton

...my name is Milton...well last name...woo hoo corporate shout out!!

"But I don't want to be a pirate!"
mmilton80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post