July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #31 (Print)
TiVoJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat
Once you've seen Raging Rudolph on Mad TV, you'll never look at the orginal the same way again. I was amazed when I first saw it, they put a lot of work into making it look like the original.

Along with Gump Fiction they're the best parodies Mad TV has done.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I nearly had an asthma attack I was laughing so hard reliving the short. I had forgotten how funny it actually was. Thanks

WHere can I get the sequel to this one called "The Reinfather"? I found an RM file, but it won't play for me.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #32 (Print)
Idearat

I do hope all the people who complain about how Rudolph was treated have seen Raging Rudolph . The creators seemed to agree he was unfairly picked on, so he gets even.

After seeing it, the original looks much better for your kids to watch!
Idearat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #33 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Dissecting (seriously) a decades old Rudolph for things that likely no one cared about when it was made is plain wrong. enjoy the show! light a nose! Or for those that insist on tearing it apart, I do hope you are analyzing the other cartoons your kids watch today and not sending them the wrong message there or in video games either.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #34 (Print)
Tivortex
What was that ?

I've got Raging Rudolph on tape somewhere, along with the Mad TV animated Gumboy.

The Dennis Leary's Merry F#^%@*! Christmas special last night also had an opening number done in the same type of animation style which was, emm, well, very Dennis Leary like.

And if I hadn't grown up on the Rudolph special I would never have learned that Bumbles bounce !

Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #35 (Print)
PeternJim

I love the show and am looking forward to watching it again. I'll be interested to watch to see whether they include the scenes that were deleted in the TV version for so long, but were recently recovered and included in a recent DVD release, including finally finding out what Yukon Cornelius was looking for all along -- and here, I thought it was gold! Wrong!

But, that said, I have to agree that this is one of those charming things that doesn't bear close scrutiny. The reindeer, elves, and Santa all treat Rudolph horribly. And it doesn't hold up to say that it all works out in the end and everyone comes to see the wonders of diversity and being different. They don't give a flying crap about Rudolph - just that his nose gets them through the fog. Does anyone imagine for an instant that if that Christmas Eve hadn't been foggy they would've thought twice about the way they treated him? Their real message was "Oh, yeah, freak, what can you do for me today?"

Again, over-analyzing, but why is it a surprise that Santa should be cruel? After all, his PR department has it that he delivers toys for free to all the good little boys and girls of the world, but as South Park has pointed out, he delivers the best toys to the rich girls and boys, and pretty crappy ones to the poor kids, and nothing at all if you aren't Christian, or at least a secular American.

I was always more bothered by the Island of Misfit Toys. Personally, I always wanted one of those Polka-Dot Elephants, and never understood why he was sent to the Island of Misfit Toys in the first place. And who the hell cares if it is a Charlie-In-the-Box? Given the attention span of anyone capable of being amused by one of the damn things, I doubt the name matters a lot. And what they heck was the girl doll's malfunction, anyway? Neurosis?

Okay, fine, yeah, yeah. But just like the Batman TV show, I have always loved shows that are brilliantly done on many levels, and have always loved going back as an adult to things I loved as a child and finding a whole new level to them -- especially when the new level includes a degree of ironic humor or cynicism that I could never have dreamed of as a child. Watched The Wizard of Oz lately? Yeesh.
PeternJim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #36 (Print)
vman41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeternJim
Again, over-analyzing, but why is it a surprise that Santa should be cruel?

Santa has always been portrayed as pretty judgemental (making a list, checking it twice...).
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #37 (Print)
BetterYeti
Looks like chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
I think it was ingeniously subversive for the time it was produced, 40 years ago.
Particularly since Hermie is SO gay. NTTIAWWT
BetterYeti is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #38 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by woyton
I think it's hilarious that something that's been around since 1964 requires the OP to include the word "spoilers" in the thread title.

I laughed so hard I almost spilled my coffee when I saw *spoilers* on this thread!!!

Spoiler Alert:

<spoiler> Rudolph Has a red nose and it's lit by a GE lighbulb!! (anyone else remember the old GE commercials that featured the Elves from this show?) </spoiler>

Old 11-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #39 (Print)
vman41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterYeti
Particularly since Hermie is SO gay. NTTIAWWT

I thought that was real reason noh-body wanted to play with a Charlie in the Bahx.
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #40 (Print)
FourFourSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inziksych
I think it's kind of sad you're not letting your kids watch it (only because I loved it so much when I was a kid).

Well, first, to be clear, it's not that I'm not "letting" my kids watch it. If they asked to see it, then sure, I'd let them watch it. But seeing as they never watch ads (all Tivo trained, and most of their shows are ad-free anyway), I doubt they even know it's on. And given that both my wife and I disliked this special as kids, I'm not going to force it on my kids - heck, I haven't even brought it up!

I'm all for shows about not fitting in. I absolutely love the Charlie Brown Christmas and Halloween specials. I just don't particularly like this one, so why watch it or force it on my kids? There's a ton of good stuff out there, old and new. Why watch something that I don't like? Isn't the point of Tivo to watch the stuff you DO like?
FourFourSeven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #41 (Print)
TiVoJedi

Donner: "This is MAN's work"!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #42 (Print)
DLL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski87
I hope that you're not trying to be sarcastic-- those leagues ARE a good thing. (for younger kids- at a certain age it obviously isnt appropriate any more) They let the kids focus on: learing skills, being part of a team, and having FUN.

My oldest lost all interest in basketball the year that her coach was more interested in winning then in the game. To elaborate, he was more interested in HIM winning- beating the teams coached by his buddy, for example. Made it all about him, not the kids.

If I was reading non-existent sarcasm into your comment, apologies.

Bullcrap. That is what practices are for. When game time comes, that is when kids learn how to win and lose. Part of life.

Coaches that are only for themselves is bullcrap as well. I agree it is always about the kids. Kids need to learn how to win and lose though and it starts at an early age.

I was really amused about the "I won't let my kids watch" comment. Kids are watching other crap as well!!
DLL66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #43 (Print)
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
Santa has always been portrayed as pretty judgemental (making a list, checking it twice...).

sounds like maybe a touch of OCD to me!
dylking is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #44 (Print)
alansh

Hermey isn't gay -- he's Jewish! That's why he wants to be a dentist, and isn't "into" the whole Christmas thing.

Santa is a crab in most of the old specials:
The Year Without a Santa Claus: Santa cancels Christmas because he feels unappreciated.
'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Santa is going to skip an entire town because somebody wrote a letter to the paper saying he didn't exist.
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Santa cancels Christmas because it's snowing too hard.
alansh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #45 (Print)
lander215
Hooked on TiVo

Damn, missed it. Anyone know if they're going to re-air it?
lander215 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #46 (Print)
TomK

It looked good in HD.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #47 (Print)
itsmeitsmeitsme

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourSeven
Well, first, to be clear, it's not that I'm not "letting" my kids watch it. If they asked to see it, then sure, I'd let them watch it. But seeing as they never watch ads (all Tivo trained, and most of their shows are ad-free anyway), I doubt they even know it's on. And given that both my wife and I disliked this special as kids, I'm not going to force it on my kids - heck, I haven't even brought it up!

I'm all for shows about not fitting in. I absolutely love the Charlie Brown Christmas and Halloween specials. I just don't particularly like this one, so why watch it or force it on my kids? There's a ton of good stuff out there, old and new. Why watch something that I don't like? Isn't the point of Tivo to watch the stuff you DO like?

But maybe your kids would like it. I can't stand the Charlie Brown specials but if my 7 year old daughter wants to watch, I would certainly let her.
itsmeitsmeitsme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #48 (Print)
jmoak

Why am I such a misfit? I am not just a nitwit.
You can't fire me I quit, since I don't fit in.
Why am I such a misfit? I am not just a nitwit.
Just because my nose glows, why don't I fit in?

Merry Christmas Everyone, regardless of your luminance!
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #49 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

I am a nitwit, you insensitive clod!

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #50 (Print)
PeternJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander215
Damn, missed it. Anyone know if they're going to re-air it?

I hope they do. I padded it and it still ran long, so I didn't get the very end. No big deal, as they'd already collected all the toys, but I did want to get the whole thing.

But it did look good.
PeternJim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #51 (Print)
FourFourSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66
Bullcrap. That is what practices are for. When game time comes, that is when kids learn how to win and lose. Part of life.

By a certain age, I agree with you that you need to keep score. But do you think that, for example, kindergarten and first grade soccer is about winning and losing? Thankfully, in my town's program, it isn't. It's about having fun, playing on a team, learning the skills, and learning sportsmanship.
Quote:
I was really amused about the "I won't let my kids watch" comment. Kids are watching other crap as well!!

Again, I didn't say "I won't LET my kids watch" - I said "I won't HAVE my kids watch." Big difference. I'm not "banning" the show, I simply chose not to record it or bring it up with the kids. If they really wanted to watch it, I'd let them... Besides, MY kids aren't watching other crap, so why is it so amusing I don't record this crap, either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeitsmeitsme
But maybe your kids would like it. I can't stand the Charlie Brown specials but if my 7 year old daughter wants to watch, I would certainly let her.

I agree - if my 7 year old daughter wants to watch Rudolph, I'll let her. But I'm not going to say "Hey look! This special I don't like and didn't even like at your age is on! Let's record it in case YOU like it!"

Does your 7-year-old know about Charlie Brown Christmas (which you dislike)? If not, will you record it for her just in case she likes it? I doubt it, if you can't stand it yourself...
FourFourSeven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #52 (Print)
BetterYeti
Looks like chicken.

BetterYeti is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #53 (Print)
Figaro
Thread Crapper 2000+

Crap! This was on in November? WTF? Oh well there is always the DVD. Santa was a dick in all of these specials except for Santa Claus is coming to Town. After that he got all whiney and corporate.
Figaro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #54 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
I believe it's scheduled to air again on 12/22.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #55 (Print)
oski87
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66

Coaches that are only for themselves is bullcrap as well. I agree it is always about the kids. Kids need to learn how to win and lose though and it starts at an early age.

I disagree. I've coached kids sports for about 5 years now, boys and girls, aged 5-9. I can tell you categorically that kids DO NOT BENEFIT from the win/lose aspect of sports until AT LEAST age 7. They dont understand the concept of game-flow (what an awkward description- hope you follow what I mean), which can only be taught in a game atmosphere. They get infinitely more out of the social aspect. They get excited when their teammates perform well. They have fun, and they LEARN. In one league that my youngest played in (not one I coached), the refs could-and did- stop the game to give instruction. No score was kept, and coaches were encouraged to match their less skilled players up agains kids at a comparable level SO BOTH KIDS WOULD LEARN. Worked great. As the kids got older (They may have started "real" games at age 9- I cant remember), the league got competetive, which is a good thing. The kids had better skills then they would have otherwise, both sports skills and sportsmanship.

Yeah, competition is good. Thats what the real world is all about. But trying to inculcate that attitude into a 5 year old is putting the cart before the horse. Trying to teach competetive drive before teaching skills will lead to frustration for most kids. And there is NOTHING uglier then a "little league parent" screaming at kids, schemeing to get their kids more PT, teaching their little ones to cheat (seen all of the above), etc...
oski87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #56 (Print)
scooterboy
...the anti-lemming

Just watched the remastered Rudolph...

They cleaned it up quite nicely. Looked good in HD.

The musical numbers still sounded a bit wobbly though.

Trivia question: how many reindeer pulled Santa's sleigh into the sky at the end?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #57 (Print)
EMoMoney
Big and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer - 11/30 - **Spoilers!**

Spoilers?? Is there anybody really out there that doesn't know what happens?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #58 (Print)
dlovearl
Needs More Cowbell!!

It would be kind of interesting to see RTRNR the way I remember it, with the characters hawking GE appliances and other products that GE has long since bailed/sold off during the ad breaks..

Last edited by dlovearl : 12-02-2005 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
dlovearl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 AM   #59 (Print)
DavidTigerFan
Itchin' for Vegas

Send a message via AIM to DavidTigerFan Send a message via Yahoo to DavidTigerFan

Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 AM   #60 (Print)
appleye1
Obladi Oblada

Send a message via AIM to appleye1 Send a message via MSN to appleye1 Send a message via Yahoo to appleye1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMoMoney
Spoilers?? Is there anybody really out there that doesn't know what happens?

Hey you guys who keep posting this, the spoilers thing in the title was a joke! (Of course.)

BTW, the old cartoon looked damn good in HD. Still a couple of frames missing here and there, but the video was crisp and sharp. Made an old favorite new to me.

And lighten up, Santa was just having a bad day. The real grouchs were the reindeer boss and the elf boss. Santa ought to fire their butts, but I guess he gives them a little discretion as long as they're getting the job done.

"Be excellent to one another." - Pan Chun

"All people can be divided into 10 groups. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

"'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.' People say this to you with a straight face, and I always say, who...wants...flies?" - Bill Murray

DIRECTV subscriber since 02/96
TiVo user since 12/99
appleye1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post