THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #31 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daThomas
Ok, I hear that but what relevance is that once the warranty is up?

It's just a pc right? I can't do what I want with it? Not trying to be argumentative, really trying to understand how there can be limitations.

No, it is an appliance, which TiVo Inc has a monopoly on the service for.

As said, the limitations are basically for the use of the software. You buy the box with the expectation it will be subbed.

Now if you want to make the TiVo software work without their service, or write and alternative software for the TiVo hardware, that is up to you, but as far as those topics are concerned, OT here at TCF.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #32 (Print)
Inkrefilloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
This point seems to have been missed: there are two things you get for your subscription costs:
  1. Guide data
  2. A license to use the TiVo software
Most of the discussion here has focused on 1), and substituting another guide service might be analogous to the printer ink refill model.

The guide data doesn't do you any good without a software license. One possibility would be to junk the TiVo software and port Freevo/Myth etc to the box. That's difficult since there aren't publicly available drivers for much of the hardware. Further, there are hardware checks to prevent you from running alternative software. Another possibility is to "crack" the software to bypass license checks, and that's the thing that some/many/most people feel is illegal/unethical.

Just my 2 cents.

Last I checked nobody using ink refills is reflashing their printers bios with their own software or replacing the factory drivers with new ones... is there a "software license" agreement that comes in the paper work with a new tivo or a printer that forbids you to use third party or homebrew options?
Inkrefilloutlaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #33 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkrefilloutlaw
Last I checked nobody using ink refills is reflashing their printers bios with their own software or replacing the factory drivers with new ones... is there a "software license" agreement that comes in the paper work with a new tivo or a printer that forbids you to use third party or homebrew options?

Actually some refillers have to reset the chip in the cartridge in order to refill it. The question is VERY EASY TO ANSWER. There is no law, license or agreeement that stops you from using third party inks in your printer.

The service agreement with tivo requires payment of a fee in order to use the software in the unit.

http://www.tivo.com/5.11.2.asp
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #34 (Print)
Phialpha

I am new and I couldn't find anything saying that if we didn't subscribe we can't use the "software." I don't mean to be a smart ass, I am interested in this so I don't have TIVO cancel my service. I do see in sections 15 and 16 that for your Subscription you can use the software and that you are REQUIRED to accept any downloads (updates, ads, etc). I also see in the description that you are required to subscribe for a minimum of 1 year...or pay a termination fee.

The only areas that I can find that would apply to this situation and my interpretation is that you CANNOT edit anything on the TIVO (reverse engineer & etc.), but you can send info to it if you know how.

Is that what everyone else is getting from the TOS? If not can you point out what section it is in.
Phialpha is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #35 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phialpha
I am new and I couldn't find anything saying that if we didn't subscribe we can't use the "software." I don't mean to be a smart ass, I am interested in this so I don't have TIVO cancel my service. I do see in sections 15 and 16 that for your Subscription you can use the software and that you are REQUIRED to accept any downloads (updates, ads, etc). I also see in the description that you are required to subscribe for a minimum of 1 year...or pay a termination fee.

The only areas that I can find that would apply to this situation and my interpretation is that you CANNOT edit anything on the TIVO (reverse engineer & etc.), but you can send info to it if you know how.

Is that what everyone else is getting from the TOS? If not can you point out what section it is in.

Section 1 tells you tivo service is offered on a subscription basis. Section 3 tells you the tivo service includes Season Pass, wish list and the like.

I'm not sure but hacking the unit so you can use it for manual recording only might not violate the agreement. Hacking the unit so you can use tivo features like SP, Wishlist, suggestions and smart record without paying the licensing fee is not allowed.

What's missed in this thread is every single review I've ever read said the third party inks are never as good as OEM inks. This includes Consumers Reports which doesn't accept advertising and has no reason to support the printer mfg.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #36 (Print)
Inkrefilloutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew
Section 1 tells you tivo service is offered on a subscription basis. Section 3 tells you the tivo service includes Season Pass, wish list and the like.

I'm not sure but hacking the unit so you can use it for manual recording only might not violate the agreement. Hacking the unit so you can use tivo features like SP, Wishlist, suggestions and smart record without paying the licensing fee is not allowed.

What's missed in this thread is every single review I've ever read said the third party inks are never as good as OEM inks. This includes Consumers Reports which doesn't accept advertising and has no reason to support the printer mfg.

that last part is so true, I have come to the same conclussion... while I could save money using third party ink... the loss in print quality and the headaches and time involved getting non oem products to work seamlessly have convinced me to dish out the extra $.41 a day for the real deal... as a practical matter my free time is worth more than the time I'd need to invest.

Now all I need to do is increase the size of the print buffer and make it accessible to my entire network... hmm this could get fun...

Last edited by Inkrefilloutlaw : 12-03-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Inkrefilloutlaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #37 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

About inks:

Those reports are about prefilled 3rd party cartridges, not bulk ink.
Top brand bulk inks should match very closely, OEM ink.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #38 (Print)
wsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuego
Wow...you must have a truly sorry life to continue to troll this place.

Umm......What?
wsouth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post