July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #61 (Print)
skanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
Ekko said that Locke may call the Jewish Bible the "Old Testament", probably meaning that he would not refer to that way. I wonder if he is Jewish? He was silent for 40 days--a number common in Judaism. He knows the Jewish Bible. He carries a rod like Aaron, the high priest of Israel and brother to Moses (and, of course, the name of Claire's baby).

Incidently, there is a Negro tribe in Africa that claims to be ancestors to the priestly class of Israel. I doubt that that ties in, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

In all, an angle worth exploring...

Did you catch a half-second of him eating a bagel at 42:06 into the show?

skanter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #62 (Print)
Chandler Mike
Lost

Send a message via ICQ to Chandler Mike Send a message via AIM to Chandler Mike
I went back and saw Sayid on the TV as everyone is saying...

You can hear the guy on the TV a bit, like a reporter, talking about the US, and Kuwait and something about a treaty or truce I believe. Very hard to make out.

Mike
Chandler Mike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #63 (Print)
RegBarc
MJITKOP

Send a message via AIM to RegBarc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
Incidently, there is a Negro tribe in Africa that claims to be ancestors to the priestly class of Israel. I doubt that that ties in, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

In all, an angle worth exploring...

On top of that, Native Americans are considered to be, in a weird way, Jewish (or at least a Lost Tribe of Israel). Of course, this is a belief by the Mormons, and I don't think it's...widely...accepted by many others.

James, the Merciful's books

"Man cannot make principles; he can only discover them." - Thomas Paine
RegBarc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 02:02 AM   #64 (Print)
desulliv

Hurley, the Shrink. Loved that exchange with Jack. Transference. . .that's what they call it at the mental hospital.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #65 (Print)
JYoung

So how many confirmed murderers do we have now? Three?

I was kind of hoping that we would find out that Kate would be responsible for the death of Jack's wife.

"I aim to misbehave"

Party in Vegas, see my photos

Last edited by JYoung : 12-01-2005 at 02:49 AM.
JYoung is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #66 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljanderson
Kate saw the horse right after the car wreck. Was the horse really there, just like on the island when Sawyer saw it? Does this mean that Kate has some kind of "ability" just like we believe Walt has?

The horse is what caused the car wreck. It was standing in the road and the Marshall swerved to avoid it and hit the telephone pole. (Of course, as Kate drives away there is no damage to the front of the car.)

If this episode was supposed to make us have pity or sympathy for Kate or feel like she was somehow justified in killing Wayne, I think they totally missed. She killed the guy in cold blood, it was obviously premeditated, and the vague explanation we got was nowhere close to enough justification for what she did. If we assume that the Marshall's recitation of the story was pretty close to accurate, Kate's mom and who she thought was her dad divorced and then Wayne showed up and her mom married him. He beat the mom and obviously Kate has always hated and resented him for how he treats her mom and maybe because she blames him for her original dad leaving. So when she finds out that Wayne is actually her real dad, it obviously made her mad. But I don't see how someone jumps from that to murder.

Kate was apparently a pretty bad person, because her Army dad said he didn't tell her about Wayne because he knew she'd kill him. He also said he doesn't have murder in his heart, implying that Kate does. I don't think they've provided any kind of reason why he or we should think that Kate was justified in the murder, which makes the whole promo for this episode ("Everything you thought you knew about this woman will change") seem very off base. Prior to this episode, we speculated that she had done something pretty bad, bad enough to cause a US Marshall to track her down on the other side of the world. So now they show us that she did do something bad and that's supposed to change our opinion of her? Sorry, not buying it.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 AM   #67 (Print)
jkeegan

The car

So unfortunately I can't rewatch parts right now, because I'm taping last week's and this week's episode for a co-worker.. but I remembered something I wanted to go back and check.

Can anyone with an HD recorder verify what I thought - that the car they were driving when they avoided the horse was in fact "THE" car - the same one that hit Michael and Locke, and that Kate crashed into later?

Looked like a tan Pontiac to me..

seven syllables
(kee gan dot org slash ti vo )
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #68 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan
So unfortunately I can't rewatch parts right now, because I'm taping last week's and this week's episode for a co-worker.. but I remembered something I wanted to go back and check.

Can anyone with an HD recorder verify what I thought - that the car they were driving when they avoided the horse was in fact "THE" car - the same one that hit Michael and Locke, and that Kate crashed into later?

Looked like a tan Pontiac to me..

Nope, definitely a Ford Crown Victoria. Can't make out the color very well, but it looks silver.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 AM   #69 (Print)
gtarent

[QUOTE=devdogaz
I don't think they've provided any kind of reason why he or we should think that Kate was justified in the murder, which makes the whole promo for this episode ("Everything you thought you knew about this woman will change") seem very off base. Prior to this episode, we speculated that she had done something pretty bad, bad enough to cause a US Marshall to track her down on the other side of the world. So now they show us that she did do something bad and that's supposed to change our opinion of her? Sorry, not buying it.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree, the fact you are upset or surprised that her "reasoning" wasn't sufficient proves that your expectations of Kate is vastly different than reality. Look at past threads, most people thought Kate was somehow the victim, or was defending herself. Reality is she truly has a bad side and her sins were premeditated and truly vile. The fact there was no twist in the story is a twist in itself. I know I expected her to reveal that her father had raped her, and that she was a good person in a bad situation. Instead we are shown than she deserves the pain she has sown.... I find the fact that they didn't give her any real excuse revolutionary.
gtarent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #70 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Send a message via AIM to Mike Farrington
I hope we get to see an "incident" soon thanks to Michael.

What do you think? I bet the alarm starts going off much sooner than it should and that the blast doors close on Michael. There is some kind of super-bright light and we hear him scream. Then he either dissapears or becomes a different person... one of "Them".
Mike Farrington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 AM   #71 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta13
Whosever on the other end of the terminal then knows Michael, knows he is a dad, and that his child isn't with him. Spooky. If not Walt, then I doubt it's anyone from the true outside world.

And if it is Walt, then it's not a communication with the outside world so maybe it won't count towards their "Incident" total.

Just the kind of info someon who was watching all of the "subjects" in an expirement might know if they had secret observation devices hidden on the island.

I though it was very interesting how easily Locke beleived that the missing splices did not contain anything imprtant. I wonder if this find will make him begin to question things.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #72 (Print)
bryan314

Either I'm stupid and missing something or we haven't seen everything there is relating to Kate murdering Wayne. Nothing I saw in the episode justified her killing him. Her mother had an affair and Wayne beat her mother. It's sad but nowhere near justified for murder. I could understand it if her mother was in the hospital near death from a beating but she just had a sprained/broken wrist. I could understand it if Kate had been shown to be a psychopath or sociopath before but the opposite has been shown. In this episode she showed concern for her mother.
bryan314 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #73 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

My wife just mentioned something about timeline. If Sayid was on the TV in her dads office and the audio was about Kuwait and a truce, it must have been at teh end of the first Gulf War. That means Kate has been running for a long, long time and that creepy US Marshall has made a career out of chasing her.

I agree about Kate, I would have thought better of her if she had been sexually abused or something.

Of course, some of the other people have not led good lives up till now and they all get to start over.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #74 (Print)
yaddayaddayadda

Send a message via AIM to yaddayaddayadda Send a message via Yahoo to yaddayaddayadda
I thought it was a so-so episode. What bothered me was Michael being so interested in the computer and practically forgetting about Walt until the end. You'd think with that arsenal in the bunker he'd be all ramboed up and tromping through the woods to get 'my boy'.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 AM   #75 (Print)
firerose818
Macarena Monkey

Send a message via AIM to firerose818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
My wife just mentioned something about timeline. If Sayid was on the TV in her dads office and the audio was about Kuwait and a truce, it must have been at teh end of the first Gulf War. That means Kate has been running for a long, long time and that creepy US Marshall has made a career out of chasing her.

I agree about Kate, I would have thought better of her if she had been sexually abused or something.

Of course, some of the other people have not led good lives up till now and they all get to start over.

Yeah, but the first Gulf War ended 15 or 16 years ago. There is no way she would still look like she is in her mid 20's, especially since she said she was 24 when she was at the diner with her mom.

-Rose

Old 12-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #76 (Print)
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

I don't think the Marshall and Kate hit the horse. I think they hit a deer.

Plus I may be wrong but I don't think cars can drive once the airbag has deployed. Some kind of safety mechanism. I think it was also a goof to see the front end with no damage. Would the airbag have even deployed if the front bumper wasnt even dented?

Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #77 (Print)
Artfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddayaddayadda
I thought it was a so-so episode. What bothered me was Michael being so interested in the computer and practically forgetting about Walt until the end. You'd think with that arsenal in the bunker he'd be all ramboed up and tromping through the woods to get 'my boy'.

I think that's next week...
Artfreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 AM   #78 (Print)
UBUBUB

Kate and Jack's Kiss

What does Jack's indifference to Kate's kiss say to you? I've always felt Jack was gay. He married a woman because he felt sorry for her. His father didn't like him.

Did he pull away from Kate because she's a skank, or he just doesn't like women. In my own personal experience, a lot of girls saw that same reaction from me until I figured it all out.
UBUBUB is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #79 (Print)
Artfreak

Um, you know...he MIGHT still be married.
Artfreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #80 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I like Kate, and her storyline, so this was good for me.

I do NOT like the Kate/Sawyer relationship. However, this backstory explained why she's attracted to a man much like her father. It also explained why she likes Jack (who is more like her non-biological daddy). It explained some of the conflict in her attraction to those two. And talk about transference - falling for the guy who reminds you of your daddy that you hated and killed? Sheesh!

The two things that bugged me:
1. The horse. So it cause the car with Kate and the marshall to crash. And something like it's on the island. I'm unsure of its significance.
2. Michael and the computers. Isn't he an artist/construction worker? Why is he toying around with the old computer system?

I did enjoy a few minor issues addressed: the film/bible, the fact that Sayid saw Walt. Eko continues to grow on me.

EDIT: Sorry to spoil the fun for everyone, but I think the next new episode isn't until 2006, not next week. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #81 (Print)
golfnut-n-nh

Toy Plane & Safe Deposit Box

Another great episode. Upon further review two questions that I thought would be answered last night:

1. What is the significance of the toy plane to Kate? We now know that her biological father did not give it to her.

2. How/why did the plane end up in the safe deposit box?

Humax DRT-800 80 Hours
TiVo Series 2 80 Hours
golfnut-n-nh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #82 (Print)
golfnut-n-nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBUBUB
What does Jack's indifference to Kate's kiss say to you? I've always felt Jack was gay. He married a woman because he felt sorry for her. His father didn't like him.

Did he pull away from Kate because she's a skank, or he just doesn't like women. In my own personal experience, a lot of girls saw that same reaction from me until I figured it all out.

Kate hasn't experienced the wonders of a breath mint in over 40 days!

Humax DRT-800 80 Hours
TiVo Series 2 80 Hours
golfnut-n-nh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #83 (Print)
firerose818
Macarena Monkey

Send a message via AIM to firerose818
Hey, if there is shampoo in the hatch, there has got to be toothpaste!

-Rose

Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #84 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L

Alternately, the show could have been a documentary about the Gulf War, not contemporary news coverage...

Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #85 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

bored indeed, they just drag this stuff out . Wouldn't crashing into the firmly planted object at speed make quite a dent (which I thought was there but deleted the ep already) and kill at least the radiator and make the car undriveable? I was hoping they finally let that darn timer run out to see it's nothing.

Walt was on the radio here yesterday. They were pumping him for info but his guardian didn't let him say alot. They wanted to know if he'd be appearing 'much more' this year.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #86 (Print)
mulscully

Anybody with the canadian previews for next week?

#1 HR10-250 - Stock
#2 SD-DVR - 105 Hrs 4.0 HMO
#3 4040R - 127 Hrs 4.0 HMO
#4 HDVR2 - 35 Hrs - Stock
mulscully is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #87 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Alternately, the show could have been a documentary about the Gulf War, not contemporary news coverage...

OK, I'll buy that one as a possibility.

Usually, air bags go off at around a 35 MPH impact. It does seem like there should be more damage to the car but I donl't beleive the airbags automatically kill teh engine but insted ther eis a seperate fuel pump cutoff, so it might have been driveable, but in the real world, probably not. I also thought it was a deer that jumped in front of the car. Hopefully someone will do a screencap.

After all, the flashbacks, are they the characters remembering what happened in their lives (in which case, it could easily be clouded by fading memory or changed by experiences and dreams) or are they the actual truth being shown to us in an omniscient way?(in which case whatever happens should be construed as reality). PErsonally, I think it is the former.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #88 (Print)
NoThru22
Aspirin Roulette

Send a message via AIM to NoThru22
Did anyone else watching the HD feed see the trainer's gloved hand when Sawyer could see the horse in the forest. I almost missed it but my friend told me to rewind. Funny.

Eko definitely knows more about Dharma than he is saying.

Hurley definitely plays the part of the viewer's voice.

I really expected the cliffhanger to happen in one of five different ways but they completely surprised me.

AintItCool said this was the last new episode in 2005. Is there one next week or not?
NoThru22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 AM   #89 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22

AintItCool said this was the last new episode in 2005. Is there one next week or not?

If it was on the internet, how could it be wrong?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #90 (Print)
dkraft

Michael ask Locke why he just doesn't type the numbers in ahead of time.

Locke tells Michael the computer will not take input from the keyboard until around 4 minutes left on the timer.

Then with about 50-52 minutes on the timer, Michael starts typing on the keyboard with Walt (we guess).

How did the keyboard become usable? Did I miss something?
dkraft is offline Report Bad Post Report Post