THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #31 (Print)
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeydave
I nearly got tempted by that pc (linked above), but couldn't find the price until I went back the the main Aldi pages and then saw the price :-(
£749 !!!! phew!

You get quite a lot for your money!

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS.
Ashley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #32 (Print)
Ashley
Prat in a Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleudo
I think one of them takes credit cards now - saw them trumpeting it on a tv advert - cant remember which one though (maybe both now).

It's worth signing up to the Lidl and Aldi weekly email list - you get list of bargains sent to you the week before.

There's a full page Aldi ad in yesterday's Telegraph for my computer and that says they take charge cards and not credit cards.

Philips 890 DVDR, JVC DVHS.
Ashley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #33 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Ah ... upper case seems to work.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #34 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Ah yes!

Well, after all, what kind of numpty would enter their postcode in lowercase...?

I guess this fits in with the 'no baskets, only one checkout' philosophy - why check for lowercase (or convert everything to one case) when you can assume the user will know he has to use uppercase?

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #35 (Print)
Glesgie

FYI. This ALDI unit is Dual tuner, but only records one at a time, not two as advertised.
Glesgie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #36 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

But I assume it allows one to watched while the other records?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #37 (Print)
TheBear

It says "record one channel while watching the other" on their website.

What'd be the point of having a dual tuna otherwise?
TheBear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #38 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear
What'd be the point of having a dual tuna otherwise?

That would be one smelly DVR

There's these two parrots sat on a perch. One turns the other and says "Can you smell fish?"

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #39 (Print)
Glesgie

It also allows you to pause the Live TV while recording another channel.

Almost the functionality of the early SKY+ but for Freeview.

Menu structure is painful and disk is noisy, but picture quality is decent
and as an emergency backup for my TiVo, it will do.
Glesgie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #40 (Print)
scgf

I bought one too - they had quite a few this evening in the Market Harborough branch of Aldi. The picture is certainly decent - I wonder how well it would work at a source for TiVo? I suppose it wouldn't be much good if you were watching a recording it had made when TiVo decided it wanted to record something . .

Spent an anxious few moments attempting to peel the film off the front shiny strip - started gouging at it with a finger nail, making a right mess, then began to wonder if it actually was a protective film or whether I was attempting to remove something I shouldn't! In the end I managed to peel the film off to leave behind a pristine shiny panel.

I don't find the menus a problem - there are basically three ways to view the EPG and you toggle through them with the menu button. You can have it Sky style, TiVo-ish style or a simpler now and next. In all cases you scroll to the desired programme and press 'record'. To view a list of recorded items just press 'play'.

Obviously not a patch on TiVo, but a useful backup.
scgf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #41 (Print)
stevensdrs
Dave

I swung with the doors at 9am and bought one. About 15 people in the queue so lucky they had a fair few. I have just set it up, auto install, with no problems. The EPG isnt bad, 3 different settings and you can have any one as the default.
It does have 2 tuners, records on one to hard disk and lets you watch or pause live tv on the other. As it has 2 scarts I imagine you can output the watched channel to another recorder, so could record 2 progs at once.
Recording with the timer is fairly straightforward. Select a prog from the epg (up to 7 days) and press OK. This sets a reminder timer that the prog is about to start which could be usefull. Pressing record at this time will replace the reminder setting with a timer record. Works OK.
Mine says it has space for about 55 hours of recordings. On playback you have a few fast forward settings but no big jumps like TIVO. It says you can skip in 2 minute intervals but I havent tried that yet.

In summary, its not a TIVO or anything near as good but its way better than a VCR and a good additional recording source for when the TIVO is fully occupied. For £99.00 it fits the bill!
stevensdrs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #42 (Print)
iankb

Went in the Reading branch this evening, and couldn't see them anywhere. Regretted not having the energy to queue up before it opened.

Anyway, went to pay for my usual collection of odd-branded food and found a large pile of PVR's on the till. I suspect that some people will have gone in, looked round without finding them, and gone out without going by the till.

They certainly look better for handling conflicts than my now-broken DVD recorder, or one of my collection of old VCR's. And it will stop me even remotely considering getting Sky+ as a backup. It's also a lot easier to record off the 7-day EPG than it is to key in those magic numbers from the Radio Times.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #43 (Print)
ericd121
Crown Topper

Re the Aldi website postcode store locator...it does work with lower case.

Try mk2, le3, se1 they all work.

What, you were entering the full postcode?

Try my Lovely TiVoWeb Themes and my HackMan ImageSets
ericd121 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:52 PM   #44 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensdrs
For £99.00 it fits the bill!
I'd rather have had the cheapest ever TiVo

(although I may be getting a dreambox shortly...)

Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #45 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd121
What, you were entering the full postcode?
It works with upper and lowercase partial codes, but only with uppercase full codes. Odd.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #46 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

I'm sure it makes perfect sense - to the numpty who coded it

Maybe he's working on the assumption that people who only type the outer postcode are also too lazy to press CAPS-LOCK...

Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #47 (Print)
tivo_boj
Tivo is getting old

Got one of the Aldi PVR's. First one just kept re-booting, 45 minutes later replaced it for another which does work but seems a bit flaky. It more like Sky +, but not as many features
can only record from one tuner
back to back recording on the same channel end up as a single "long " recording
Flashes up a message asking if you do not want to switch to the recording channel 30 sec before it starts recording ... very annoying
BBC2 has trouble with screen switching ( always stretches - other have reported this so seems common).
ITV1 - can have sound muted for 5 sec when tuning to this channel. Sometimes does not come back and meed to change to C5 to get sound back. A couple times had to re-boot to get sound back

Overall looks a bit flakey... so may need a few bug fixes before it can be stable ( as it seem with most new PVR's)

for £99 seems ok value as long as it does not get any flakier.

Long Live Tivo..... no comparison, still hanging on for Tivo to be re-introduced into the UK so thes ebudget back-up will have to do
  • can only record from one tuner

Two drive Tivo upgraded July 25th 2002 to single 120GiG (Maxtor). TivoWeb (beta 4) Using PPP over serial (Aug 2002).
tivo_boj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:27 AM   #48 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo_boj
... can only record from one tuner
The fact that you can pause the live channel does allow you to temporarily record on both tuners, and a definite advantage over a single tuner recorder. Currently, if the TiVo is recording, I have to wait for an ad break before I can go to the loo.

You don't appear to be able to be able to start watching a recording until it has finished.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #49 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Just out of curiosity, is there any indication who actually makes these boxes? Have you figured out what the OS is?

It drives me md that so many hardware manufacturers are producing boxes that could probably be TiVos, but none of them are....

Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #50 (Print)
iankb

It is branded as Technosonic; 'though whether it is the same company as Technosonic.com, I couldn't say.

It is definitely a little flakey, and it will be interesting as to whether they will use the ability to upgrade the firmware online, or not.

It made good recordings and, at that price, I have no intention of returning it. Since the video compression chip in the TiVo used to cost £80 alone, I thought they might have skipped on the compression, but they are quoting more than 50 hours for their 80GB drive.

One example of a bug is that you can set a favourite list that you use to step through the channels. When you set a programme to record from the EPG using a favourites list, it seems to identify the wrong channel. However, since it pops up the recording details for change/confirmation, it is easy to spot the wrong channel name has been identified and immediately change it; but it is a bug. Also, while you can use these lists to filter the channels, you can't re-order the channels in the list.

It actually has a 'format disk' option on the menu, which infers that the drive might be user replaceable, and doesn't contain software.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 AM   #51 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Do you know which EPG source it uses, and whether it can/will get OTA firmware upgrades?

Old 12-16-2005, 07:44 AM   #52 (Print)
iankb

I think that it can only use the 7-day EPG data that is transmitted by the broadcasters. It has no other source. My 7-day EPG Daewoo box uses the same data, and some channels take ages for the first details to appear.

The manual states that it can receive OTA updates. As to whether it will or not is anybody's guess.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 AM   #53 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

AIUI, there are two OTA EPGs for Freeview - the 7-day per-channel ones, and the 14-day one via the 4TV channel. I was wondering which one it uses - the 4TV one is of use only if one receives that multiplex.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #54 (Print)
iankb

Since it's a 7-day EPG, and the frequency of updates seems to vary between channel, it must be the former.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #55 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

That's good, ta. Unfortunately, my local Aldi, which I happened to pass earlier today, doesn't have any of these.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #56 (Print)
tivo_boj
Tivo is getting old

UPdate of My Aldi special

Still flakey, put in standby, it came out of standby and recorderd OK and then went back to standby. However when I took it out of standy the "no signal" bug appeared. Pressedrecord brough back the signal, stopping recording brought back the no Signal. Thereofore reboot the only way to fix.

Rumours of a OTA update on 28th. Will wait to see if this fixes, but although a lot of kit for the cash, if you cannot trust it to record etc, its a waste of £100.

So wait till after Xmas, if no joy, then I can see me returning for cash refund

Its a shame as when it does work, it picture etc is Ok.

NOTE Workarond for the BBC bug where it tries to streatch 16:9picture ( on a 16:9 tv). Change aspect ratio on setting to 4:3, then selelect wide ( rather than auto). seem to do the triclk ( untill a re-boot, when you need to do this again)

Two drive Tivo upgraded July 25th 2002 to single 120GiG (Maxtor). TivoWeb (beta 4) Using PPP over serial (Aug 2002).
tivo_boj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #57 (Print)
stevensdrs
Dave

Mine is having a few bug problems too. Left overnight in standby it freezes and can only be revived with a reeboot. Also experiencing no signal fault when changing channel if it has been left on overnight. When it works it works well.

I will give it till after xmas and if still buggy I will reluctantly have to return it too.

(Not before I have a look at the inside of the box though)
stevensdrs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #58 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

For a box that frequently locks up, needs regular reboots, loses signal and has aspect selection issues, I think the thread title becomes "Heads up, a Really Bad Freeview Recorder" :-)

If it continues to be this un-reliable, its not worth being a £99 paper weight!

Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #59 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

The shame of it is, that if it had better software (dare I suggest TiVo software?) then as long as it doesn't have hardware issues too, it would immediately become the best Freeview PVR in the UK.

Grrrrr

Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 AM   #60 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Don't want to turn this into a Aldi Specials thread, but have also noticed this bargain??

http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/product_512.html

Car Cd player, but with a SD/MMC slot to play MP3's and also a USB socket to connect your IPOD, or storage device to play in the car.

Does not look too bad, for £49..

And a 2 Yr Warranty

Pioneer 505XDE
6022tivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post