Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #31 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Couldn't possibly be happier with the outcome!!! The only thing I regret is that we missed out on the comedy of watching the Weavers trying to do the map puzzle.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #32 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
Couldn't possibly be happier with the outcome!!! The only thing I regret is that we missed out on the comedy of watching the Weavers trying to do the map puzzle.

With their Mad Geographical Skills, it'd be a comedy all by itself!
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 AM   #33 (Print)
Neenahboy

Send a message via AIM to Neenahboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated

With their Mad Geographical Skills, it'd be a comedy all by itself!

"Dear Lord, please guide us through the successful completion of this map. We know absolutely nothing about geography, so our fate is in your hands. In your name we pray..."

Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #34 (Print)
splendid
Sayitagain sweety!

LOL!!!

I love the Linz's but I kinda feel sorry for the Bransen's.

Next season looks like we'll be back to normal!! Yayyy!!

Old 12-14-2005, 12:54 AM   #35 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
"Dear Lord, please guide us through the successful completion of this map. We know absolutely nothing about geography, so our fate is in your hands. In your name we pray..."

And then, Mama Weaver triumphantly places Florida in the map. And waits, with the block with the state of Pennsylvania in her hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #36 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid
Next season looks like we'll be back to normal!! Yayyy!!

Has the show done the "preview of next season" at the end of any previous season? I can't help but wonder if they did it this year specifically because of the negative reaction to the "Family Edition".
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #37 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

When they got the clue telling them to go to Canada, I was expecting one of them to say "What state is that in?"

Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 AM   #38 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966

LOL!!

I guarantee they didn't have to do that challenge. They wouldn't have arrived at the finish line before dark (unless they were allowed to cheat by looking on the previously completed maps). That was an excellent final roadblock. I am a big geography buff and I would have loved to do that.

While this wasn't the best season of TAR, I still really enjoyed it. They could have spent a little less time in the SUVs, and had some more difficult challenges, but it was still fun to see the things that they did do, and it was fun to hate the Weavers. I'm really glad that the Linz' won. This is the first season that I can remember where the team I was rooting for didn't finish second. Hooray!!

Whoever that is that frequents these threads that works with Nick Linz, tell him congrats for us and feel free to share any additional behind-the-scenes scoop that you can gather from him. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
Although I'd never heard of the CN Tower called whatever it is they called it.

They called it Le Tour CN, which is simply the french name for it. The sign above the main entrance doors said it in both english and french so it must not be all that uncommon. The thing that surprised me is all the times they had to ask for directions to things that should have been obvious. Stade Olympique? It's obviously Olympic Stadium. You're standing across the street from it. You don't need to ask directions. La Tour CN? Shouldn't be too had to figure out that it means CN Tower and you can see that from anywhere in Toronto. You don't need directions to that.

As for the little skirmish at the beginning of the thread about spoilers, what did you expect? It's a thread about the specific episode and it's in spoiler tags. What did you think it was going to be when you deliberately highlighted it? The Weaver's home address?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:11 AM   #39 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

Yayyyyyyyy! Weaver's lose!

Now, how did they handle the border stuff? They must have made some sort of arrangement that the teams could run to the geography puzzle and the finish line without having to go through customs.

The shoe task was just dumb.

Teams should have figured out by now that when they're asked to complete a task like sailing that they won't be sent out on a boat alone. A guide (aide) will be provided to offer advice. I think the Branson's thought they'd be out there alone.

So the Weaver's just gave up in the stadium, huh? I was so worried they'd get the earliest flight. I think this is why the producers didn't tell us up front what the flight times were (as they have in the past). And why the "this is unfair" comment? What was unfair about it?

Who blocked who with the carts outside the stadium? I coudn't tell.

And did anybody catch what really happened at the airport (Rolly and one of the Linz boys colliding)? Did Rolly grab the Linz boy's backpack?

How I wish the Weaver's had gotten the captain who said "on the seas, my word is gospel".

wendiness1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 AM   #40 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1
And did anybody catch what really happened at the airport (Rolly and one of the Linz boys colliding)? Did Rolly grab the Linz boy's backpack?

I wondered this too. I also wondered why they seemed to be racing to a ticket counter that had an agent and no one else in sight, but then when we see them next they are all standing in a line with other passengers. Where did those people come from?

Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 AM   #41 (Print)
Idearat

Great ending. I was worried for a while there.

My favorite Weaverism for the night: Telling the guy at the gas station that if they give something they'll get something back... just after lying to them about having no money.

I'll have to slow-mo through the preview for next season. Lots of obvious clues to locations. The race start is an impressive place, I've been there, but never for a concert.

Glad this one is over. Like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, it wasn't as good, but won't keep me from watching the next one.
Idearat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 AM   #42 (Print)
Idearat

Quote:
Yayyyyyyyy! Weaver's lose!

And why the "this is unfair" comment? What was unfair about it?

I think the Weavers definition of unfair is pretty much anything that doesn't go their way.

As for the airport scuffle, I looked at it in slow motion a couple times. From what I could tell the Linz guy slipped and started to fall. Rolly was tailgating so he couldn't stop in time. As he stumbled over Linz he also got hungup in the backpack. So Rolly didn't appear to pull Linz by the backpack, but as Linz was trying to right himself he was held back by Rolly, though it may have been unintentional. All in all, a boys will be boys situation.
Idearat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 AM   #43 (Print)
BadlyDrawnBoy

great ending reminiscent of TAR5 and the maze.....
BadlyDrawnBoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 06:34 AM   #44 (Print)
Dssturbo1

what was up with the 4 for 3?? there were 4 suvs waiting and there were 4 pairs of binoculars for 3 teams?

yup, they should have at least shown us a little of the puzzle with the the weavers.
And made Rollie climb back up with the flag he dropped.
Thank You God, for not letting the weavers win.
Dssturbo1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #45 (Print)
rufus_x_s
Tool of Capitalism

Great ending, although like others, I think it would have been entertaining to see them struggle with the geography puzzle.

Great Weaver daughter line, re the 1967 sphere-thing: "It's amazing that they built something so cool back then." Or something like that. Or was it even worse: "It's amazing that they were able to build something like that back then."

Mother Weaver should have used this as an opportunity to teach them some history, maybe pointing out that it was quite an achievement when most structures back then were made from sun-dried clay bricks.

[Edit: see the Weavers struggle]

Last edited by rufus_x_s : 12-14-2005 at 07:11 AM.
rufus_x_s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #46 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
And then, Mama Weaver triumphantly places Florida in the map. And waits, with the block with the state of Pennsylvania in her hand.

....and stands there dumbfoundedly for hours when she can't figure out a space to put the Louisiana puzzle piece near Lake Erie.

I was literally LOL at the irony of the puzzle challenge, after an entire season of "Lake Ponchartrain is one of the Great Lakes," "Is Pennsylvania a state?", and things like that. You think God was exacting a little revenge for them bothering him so much in their selfless quest to win a million dollars?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #47 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

The worst thing about the Linz-Weaver collision is when the Linz brother helped Rolly up, mama Weaver started yelling to get his hands off of Rolly!

I am so glad that they got left by the wayside at teh end. As much as I hate them, they did even more stuff to make me hate them last night.

As far as the extra cars and binoculars, I think they wanted a team getting there that was behind to think they were not behind or maybe were in second.

I also thoughht Phil gave a little extra emphasis to the word two in his voiceover for the next season.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #48 (Print)
Chapper1
Go Avs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat
Great ending. I was worried for a while there.
My favorite Weaverism for the night: Telling the guy at the gas station that if they give something they'll get something back... just after lying to them about having no money.

The best part about the convenience store thing is she said that, but they showed a guy who was obviously from either a middle eastern country or India, and they played the little music. They were trying to get by on their Christianity, when the man was probably of another faith...

As for Rolly and the Linz brother, the Linz had his arm around him and patting him like "Good job, no hard feelings.", when Moma Weaver started yelling. He was being nice and it seemed like Rolly was doing the same.

I felt bad for Rolly because he was obviously with the wrong family. He was very competitive and he did almost all the tasks, while his sisters sat on their asses. Rolly didn't bug me nearly as much as the other Weavers...

Well spoken, Chapper1. You are a wise one. -bgreen5
Chapper1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #49 (Print)
TiVo'Brien

Can anyone tell me at what point the Weavers lost (fell far enough behind to lose)? The teams were basically all together at the clue box they had to find using binoculars from Le Tour CN. They seemed to have lost more time on the highway to the jet boats than the other teams.

I was surprised none of the teams made the effort to *systematically* search the stadium. Random searches are one of the worst ways to find something in a place like that. They could have swept each section with team members four abreast scanning four to eight rows at a time- like a giant comb, sweeping the aisles in an orderly fashion.

I wanted to puke at how the Weavers were blatantly kissing Taxi Ted's butt the whole way. "Ted, you're soooo good. Ted, you know sooo much." Those people are so socially inept.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #50 (Print)
loubob57
Unmotivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1
I felt bad for Rolly because he was obviously with the wrong family. He was very competitive and he did almost all the tasks, while his sisters sat on their asses. Rolly didn't bug me nearly as much as the other Weavers...
I'll agree with you there. I remember mama and the daughters making all kinds of snide and degrading comments, but if Rolly did it didn't register as much. And he certainly did more than his share of the challenges.

The ending was almost perfect. The only way it could have been better is if the Weavers got to the puzzle first but were then passed up by the other two teams and still ended up in last place. (Should I feel bad for wishing bad luck on the Weavers? Nah!)
loubob57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #51 (Print)
ToddAtl

My favorite Weaver moment was when they tried to ram that double door open with their little golf cart to get into the Stadium, had me laughing out loud.

Really liked the final puzzle roadblock, a really good non-physical task that created a lot of drama at the end.

XBox GamerTag- TyrionC
ToddAtl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #52 (Print)
AccidenT

Send a message via AIM to AccidenT
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
As for the little skirmish at the beginning of the thread about spoilers, what did you expect? It's a thread about the specific episode and it's in spoiler tags. What did you think it was going to be when you deliberately highlighted it? The Weaver's home address?

I'll see your and raise you a

He edited his post and added the tags 30 minutes after I originally saw it. My quote has it in tags because I added them myself.
AccidenT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #53 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1

Rolly was really pretty quiet. As I recall, it seemed that every time they showed the Weavers driving, Rolly was looking out the side window. Somehow this seemed to me like he was distancing himself from his mom and sisters. It was as if "I'm with you, but I'm not really with you."

And, yes, I did notice Mama Weaver lying to the shop guy. I'll bet it isn't often a customer asks for something free. The music there and when Rolly missed jumping over the barriade was funny.

I wonder if Mama Weaver has come to terms with the fact that, obviously, God didn't want them to win. (I heard they didn't win the mini-race later, either.) Do you think maybe God just wanted them to be in the race so they could get a good look at how other see them?

Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #54 (Print)
JETarpon
Fish

I was disappointed during the curling that nobody knew that the most important part of curling is yelling "HARD!!!! HARD!!!!!"

Old 12-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #55 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT
I'll see your and raise you a

He edited his post and added the tags 30 minutes after I originally saw it. My quote has it in tags because I added them myself.

OK, my bad. If that info was not originally in a spoiler tag before the episode aired, that was inappropriate. You have my apologies.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #56 (Print)
AccidenT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien
I wanted to puke at how the Weavers were blatantly kissing Taxi Ted's butt the whole way. "Ted, you're soooo good. Ted, you know sooo much." Those people are so socially inept.

I'm sure I'll go to hell for saying this, but maybe the Weaver kids are going to have a Canadian step-father
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #57 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

I don't think Mama's fiance Chris would approve.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #58 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
Wait, her hubby is dead 18 months and she is already engaged? I must have blocked out that little tidbit.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #59 (Print)
AccidenT

Quote:
I don't think Mama's fiance Chris would approve.

You spelled "Ted" wrong

Seriously though, I totally missed that info as well. I saw her shirt with "Chris" on it, I thought it was her late husband's name.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #60 (Print)
Cragmyre

At least she wore her beau's name on her shirt, and not across her butt like her daughter
Cragmyre is offline Report Bad Post Report Post