TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #151 (Print)
efilippi
Registered User
 
efilippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mundelein, Il
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco
It's already been said.

But I sooooooooooo wanted to watch day fade into evening, and then dark black night, as the Weavers stared blankly at the geography challenge like four RCA Victor dogs. Ultimately Phil would have walked up to them, as they flailed away cluelessly, and ushered them quietly out of shot.

Rats!


Did you watch the after-race special for the car? The Weavers lost but they didn't do too badly, seemed to get most of the states and icons matched up ok.

__________________
Ed
Sony Standalone, 100+ hours, Comcast cable
Tivo brand series 2
efilippi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #152 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,949
Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph
I was wondering that. But at the end, there were only three map puzzles.

My wife thinks that there were four golf carts, four binoculars, and four trucks so that the arriving teams wouldn't be able to figure out where they stand in the race. So the 2nd team to arrive at the trucks would see 3 trucks, and think they are in first place.

My problem with that is that each of the trucks had a sign in the windshield, presumably with the team name on it. What did the fourth truck say?


It's pretty routine that the TAR producers have eliminated teams continue to run the race so that observers can't leak any clues about who gets further in the race than others; they then just edit out the teams that have already been eliminated. I'd bet that's what happened here.

__________________
"I think David Platt just needs to pimp himself out." - Havana Brown

Last edited by David Platt : 12-15-2005 at 08:29 PM.
David Platt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #153 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 10,099
Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt
It's pretty routine that the TAR producers have eliminated teams continue to run the race so that observers can't leak any clues about who gets further in the race than others; they then just edit out the teamas that have already been eliminated. I'd bet that's what happened here.


I thought a lot about that in the last episode. For one, they were in Toronto... TAR is the number one show overall on the CTV network. It's even more popular in Canada than it is here. So, I bet they had to do a LOT of subterfuge in the last leg!

Not only that, figure that they held the finish line at a relatively empty and obscure state park in Lewiston, NY.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #154 (Print)
markz
Menah Menah
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
The Linzes revealed how they're splitting the million dollars - half of it off the top goes to their parents. Of the other half, it's split 7 ways, including the 3 Linz siblings who were not on the show itself. Harry Smith joked that it meant they'd end up with "about a dollar-80 a piece", and one of the Linz boys joked back, "well, that's a dollar-80 more than we had before".


I think that is very comendable! I really liked the Linzs from the beginning! I thought they had lots of fun, got along great with each other, and realized that they were just playing a game. I think it's amazing they are giving half to their parents and splitting with their other siblings! Great family values!

__________________
Panasonic 42" Plasma (TH-42PD50U)
Philips DIVX-Certified DVD Player (DVP-642)
RCA DVD Recorder (DRC8005)
Philips DTiVo PVR (DTV/R10)
Hughes DTiVo PVR (GXCEB0T)
markz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #155 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!
 
PJO1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
I think that is very comendable! I really liked the Linzs from the beginning! I thought they had lots of fun, got along great with each other, and realized that they were just playing a game. I think it's amazing they are giving half to their parents and splitting with their other siblings! Great family values!


The youngest Linz sibling must be psyched. They said that he couldn't participate in the race because he had summer school. That means he's quite a bit younger. It would be nice to know that you have a big cushy amount of money behind you as you go off to college and then graduate. The same goes for the two younger members who ran the race and are still in college.

__________________
I like how your mind works! - Anubys
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #156 (Print)
Deekeryu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 157
The finale episode was really good, except for the 10 minutes of recap.

This episode showed why the race is fun to watch. Less driving around in the country, and more times in taxis and running around. I loved how they brought the race back into the cities, and that's what pushed the pace a bit. When people are running around the general public, it feels that the race is really immersed inside, instead of segregated from everyone. The curling and the trapeze thing wasn't bad to watch at all, and you can see that although the Linzes were a physical force, there was still obstacles like the Trapeze that slowed them down. I also liked the finding the clue in the stadium task. Can you imagine looking for 3 clues in 55 000 seats? That's just crazy. I also liked seeing everyone getting wet on that Niagra whirlpool. You know it's all about watching people in a fun adventure and getting wet and dirty along the way. I truly liked the last roadblock with the puzzles because it was so close and down to the wire. Either team could have won it. And I'm really happy the Linz won.

Final thing. Anybody liked Phil's change in his final speech?

"25 days, 50 cities, and more than 600 consecutive hours together as a family....."

Haha.
Deekeryu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #157 (Print)
stevemcl
I like you
 
stevemcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 166
Here is the payout distro according to the Cincinnati Enquirer:

After taxes, the Linzes will have about $600,000, says Cincinnati accountant Crystal Faulkner. After giving half to their parents, the remaining $300,000 will be split seven ways, with about $43,000 each for the four "Racers" and their three brothers - Matt, 27, of Loveland; Travis ("TJ"), 26, of Chicago; and Tim, 16, a St. Xavier junior.

This nugget also:
Before leaving Manhattan, they plan to take a group photo to be used on Christmas cards. The greeting, their mom said, may read "This was an amazing year."
stevemcl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #158 (Print)
frankmint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to frankmint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekeryu
The finale episode was really good, except for the 10 minutes of recap.

This episode showed why the race is fun to watch. Less driving around in the country, and more times in taxis and running around. I loved how they brought the race back into the cities, and that's what pushed the pace a bit. When people are running around the general public, it feels that the race is really immersed inside, instead of segregated from everyone. The curling and the trapeze thing wasn't bad to watch at all, and you can see that although the Linzes were a physical force, there was still obstacles like the Trapeze that slowed them down. I also liked the finding the clue in the stadium task. Can you imagine looking for 3 clues in 55 000 seats? That's just crazy. I also liked seeing everyone getting wet on that Niagra whirlpool. You know it's all about watching people in a fun adventure and getting wet and dirty along the way. I truly liked the last roadblock with the puzzles because it was so close and down to the wire. Either team could have won it. And I'm really happy the Linz won.

Final thing. Anybody liked Phil's change in his final speech?

"25 days, 50 cities, and more than 600 consecutive hours together as a family....."

Haha.


I'll have to watch it again, but I think God's Hand™ prevented the Weavers from getting wet. Really, when they got the clue the hair was dry.
frankmint is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #159 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?
 
Lee L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 4,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmint
I'll have to watch it again, but I think God's Hand™ prevented the Weavers from getting wet. Really, when they got the clue the hair was dry.



I saw that as well. I canl't beleive they could be in that boat and not get wet. Theirs must not have charged that rapid like the others did.

__________________
XBox Live -- SheriffTruman


Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #160 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American
 
wendiness1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Idunno
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcl
After taxes, the Linzes will have about $600,000, says Cincinnati accountant Crystal Faulkner. After giving half to their parents, the remaining $300,000 will be split seven ways, with about $43,000 each for the four "Racers" and their three brothers - Matt, 27, of Loveland; Travis ("TJ"), 26, of Chicago; and Tim, 16, a St. Xavier junior.


Poor Megan. I was hoping there were more girls at home. Sheesh, she has 6 brothers and no sister?

__________________
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon
wendiness1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #161 (Print)
TiVo'Brien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,939
Anybody else notice the whole row of passengers in the back of the Bransen's jet boat? (I think it was the Bransens' boat.) I thought that was kind of odd with the teams being so close to the finish line that the producers wouldn't charter the boats entirely to maintain secrecy. Maybe the passengers were camera men and sound guys for the show?

__________________
Definately is definitely, misspelled.
Announcer: Accepting the award is the son of the guy who played Huggy Bear.
TiVo'Brien is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #162 (Print)
frankmint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 55
Send a message via AIM to frankmint
Nick is packing leaving our office today to set up another in Cincinnati. He was able to answer a few last questions for me, however.

Alex was not instructed to grab the other trapeze guy's arms - thinking he would be caught instead. Once understood, he finished easily. He is still a fat-ass however. Boys.

The charter tickets in the stadium challenge took "many" hours. The family decided to take the first they found, regardless of flight time, and get some rest for the final push. The Bransens finished a few hours later.

Not shown on TV: Bone, Tommy Jr., was very confident he found the flag from the top of the CN Tower first - insisting they all leave immediately. However, he found a hospital instead of the correct location. The team lost at least an hour as they returned all the way to the top of the tower again, surprised, as the other teams still had not found it either. They immediately spied the real flag and were the first ones out, again.

Also, the Bransen girls say they finished the shoe challenge in less than 5 minutes; the others, sailing with a dying wind, took about 45minutes to complete.

He couldn't explain the four trucks and binoculars in Toronto. He did say the producers actively try to confuse the racers about their own position in the race - adding clues to the box and leaving extra tools at the challenges. He did not see any phantom racers for the spectators as we have speculated here.

At the final challenge, he finished the puzzle about 2 minutes before Wally. They were pretty confident they could beat the others at that time. He didn't know they could have left the backpacks behind.

There were 2 customs officials on land waiting for them in Lewiston, NY. He believes it was for show, however, and all the teams were already cleared ahead of time.

The Weavers were many hours behind and did not attempt the puzzle but were instead directed to the finish line.

Personal opinons: He thought the Weavers, despite the...spite, were not bad people. But the Godlewskis were the biggest victims of editing, apparently - as they were not arguing as much or as cruelly as portrayed on the show.

I studied acting for some time and Nick was damn good here at work everyday hiding everything. He never gave anything away with words or his body language - and I was looking. That, to me, is as impressive as the overall win.
frankmint is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #163 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law
 
devdogaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,373
Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Thanks for the info, frankmint. That stuff is very interesting.

And to answer raj from a couple of days ago, I'm a Romber fan that was booing the Weavers. I don't see anything remotely similar about them. Rob & Amber had fun, tried to be strategic, and got along with everyone. Weavers seemed to think they were better than everyone, kept to themselves, and made snarky comments behind everyone's backs and then played the victims when the other teams didn't want to hang out with them. Totally different.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
devdogaz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #164 (Print)
TiVo'Brien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmint
............ The Weavers were many hours behind and did not attempt the puzzle but were instead directed to the finish line.

Can't figure that part out. It seemed the Linzes and the Weavers were both at the tall ship climbing roadblock at about the same time. Maybe the Weavers got lost on their way to the jet boats?

__________________
Definately is definitely, misspelled.
Announcer: Accepting the award is the son of the guy who played Huggy Bear.
TiVo'Brien is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #165 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?
 
Lee L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 4,430
Interesting about the Linzs having to go back. It seems like that would have made good TV, but I guess they have to cut something. I would love someone to keep a diary about what they did and publish it after their NDA is up.

__________________
XBox Live -- SheriffTruman


Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #166 (Print)
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 6,877
Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Frankmint...thanks for the info. That was great stuff!

I wonder why they didn't show the Linz mistake....would have made for great TV.

Also...I'm VERY surprised that the Bransens finished that shoe task in 5 minutes. I was screaming at the TV when they picked that task.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #167 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!
 
PJO1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,569
Thanks for the inside scoop from Nick. That's a rare bonus to watching the show.

I know if I had won, everyone would know... and not because I told them. It would be evident to anyone who knew me, as well as strangers on the street. Anyone care to play poker with me?

If there is a cash prize for third place, the Weavers should not have received it if they had not finished the last challenge. Just my opinion. That raises the questions whether teams in the past who were in third place but never actually made it to the finish line received the cash for third place.

__________________
I like how your mind works! - Anubys
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #168 (Print)
forecheck
Registered User
 
forecheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Granite Bay, CA
Posts: 439
Great stuff, frankmint. Thanks! That is the kind of information that CBS should publish on their site after each show airs.
forecheck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #169 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?
 
Lee L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 4,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
If there is a cash prize for third place, the Weavers should not have received it if they had not finished the last challenge. Just my opinion. That raises the questions whether teams in the past who were in third place but never actually made it to the finish line received the cash for third place.


Well, if the production team said, come on, the other teams are done, we need you at the finish line for the wrap up, it is hardly their fault.

__________________
XBox Live -- SheriffTruman


Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #170 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!
 
PJO1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
Well, if the production team said, come on, the other teams are done, we need you at the finish line for the wrap up, it is hardly their fault.



True, but honestly, what are the odds that they would have been able to complete the task? To say they were geographically challenged would be an understatement.

__________________
I like how your mind works! - Anubys
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #171 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law
 
devdogaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,373
Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
I caught the Daily Show's TAR segments, as my ARWL picked up the show...

Wow. The Linzes and Bransens couldn't possibly have come off any better, and the Weavers actually came off WORSE! You could tell by looking at them that the Weavers didn't want to even be on the same set with the other two teams.

As far as the Bransens, all of 'em had big smiles on their faces, even Wally.

The Linzes revealed how they're splitting the million dollars - half of it off the top goes to their parents. Of the other half, it's split 7 ways, including the 3 Linz siblings who were not on the show itself. Harry Smith joked that it meant they'd end up with "about a dollar-80 a piece", and one of the Linz boys joked back, "well, that's a dollar-80 more than we had before".

When were the TAR contestants on The Daily Show? I have the eps from the last few days on my TiVo and there isn't a TAR segment that I saw. I would have loved to have seen this.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
devdogaz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #172 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!
 
PJO1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
When were the TAR contestants on The Daily Show? I have the eps from the last few days on my TiVo and there isn't a TAR segment that I saw. I would have loved to have seen this.



They generally have a TAR segment or two the morning after the episode airs.

__________________
I like how your mind works! - Anubys
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #173 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law
 
devdogaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,373
Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
I'm not talking about The Early Show. Inundated said The Daily Show. Did he mean The Early Show?

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
devdogaz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #174 (Print)
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 475
I think Inundated meant The Early Show, not the Daily Show.

__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #175 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 10,099
Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Yipes, sorry about that...I DID mean the Early Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
I know if I had won, everyone would know... and not because I told them. It would be evident to anyone who knew me, as well as strangers on the street. Anyone care to play poker with me?


You know, I think I could get away with it. Of course, right now I don't work in an office or anything, so there would only be my family and some local friends to hide it from...

I wonder if others here would be able to "keep it secret". How about, for example, my future teammate? Hmmm?
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #176 (Print)
JTAnderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
Well, if the production team said, come on, the other teams are done, we need you at the finish line for the wrap up, it is hardly their fault.

They should have put the Weavers on a plane, flown them to Alaska and dropped them off to be with the Guidos. (I hope they are still there.)
JTAnderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 06:44 AM   #177 (Print)
markz
Menah Menah
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 1,232
I enjoy hearing the stuff from Nick! It's almost like being there! Thanks so much for taking the time to find out and posting it here!

I shop in Cincinnati from time to time. Hopefully I'll run into them sometime.
markz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #178 (Print)
lambertman
This post stinks
 
lambertman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 659
Send a message via Yahoo to lambertman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson
They should have put the Weavers on a plane, flown them to Alaska and dropped them off to be with the Guidos. (I hope they are still there.)


or, at least, with the (Season 2)
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
gutsy grannies, probably still stuck in that airport.

__________________
Must be Chris Lambert
lambertman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:31 AM   #179 (Print)
boneill
Amazing Race Junkie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalma
Not even close, IMO. I am a Romber fan and boo'd the Weaver's the entire way. There's no comparison. Most of the comments on the Weavers were the fact that they were nasty to other racers, asked God to help them win each and every task, up to and including winning the race, and thought they were the injured parties, never realizing how they were behaving. Rob and Amber were none of that. Sure people hated Rob, but he played a smart, albeit sneaky, race. Amber went along with the ride. Neither Rob nor Amber were nasty and condescending to other racers.


Rob wasn't condescending? Are you joking?

And he got plenty nasty. In episode two, Rob got information from a local and asked him not to tell the other teams (sneaky, but fine with me). The other racers ask Rob if he told the local not to help them and he says he did not (a lie). Then confronted by the girl duo for lying to them, which he did, he argues with them and chews them out for calling him a liar. Some people see this as good playing I guess. I think he's a jerk. It showed bad sportsmanship and gave his team no benefit.
boneill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #180 (Print)
boneill
Amazing Race Junkie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Thanks for the info, frankmint. That stuff is very interesting.

And to answer raj from a couple of days ago, I'm a Romber fan that was booing the Weavers. I don't see anything remotely similar about them. Rob & Amber had fun, tried to be strategic, and got along with everyone. Weavers seemed to think they were better than everyone, kept to themselves, and made snarky comments behind everyone's backs and then played the victims when the other teams didn't want to hang out with them. Totally different.


I disagree. To say Rob & Amber "got along with everyone" makes me wonder if you even watched that season. Totally different? Rob wasn't making snarky comments? How about (paraphrased): "Uchenna & Joyce getting help from Meredith & Gretchen. That's like the blind leading the blind."
boneill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index