TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Would you buy Commercial Free music CD's if they were as CF as XM Radio
Yes 21 21.65%
No 76 78.35%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #1 (Print)
BlankMan

Would you buy Commercial Free music CD's if they were as CF as XM Radio?

Would you buy Commercial Free music CD's if they were as Commercial Free as XM Radio music channels are?

I'm really starting to wonder if all these people that like interruptions on their "Commercial Free" XM Radio music channels would be as receptive to interruptions on the music CD's they buy. The artist could start introducing each song, the producer could add their 2 cents, and the record company could tell you about similar artists and other CD's you should buy.

That's what XM is doing, be hard to deny it.

Doubt that would fly, especially if it couldn't be skipped and you had to listen to it each time you listened to the CD. But hey, it's ok in a lot of peoples minds for XM to do the exact same thing...

And for those of you already rolling your eyes saying this is a stupid poll, it's just as stupid as XM Radio advertising their music channels as "Commercial Free" when in reality they're not.

So let's see just how many honest people would tolerate it on music CD's they purchase.

and ah, a, A55

Last edited by BlankMan : 12-15-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spilling :)
BlankMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #2 (Print)
ping

Where's the "get a grip" option?
ping is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #3 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping
Where's the "get a grip" option?
Well all the XM supporters are downplaying these interruptions as insignificant, so are they really? If they are then they shouldn't mind them on their purchased music CD's as well.

Wow! I just discovered another advertising outlet!

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #4 (Print)
Stevotomy

Insignificance

BM,

I just responded to the other poll (80+ posts), but I'll re-iterate here:

I don't mind chatter as long as it's informational.

I like classical music, so to hear discussions (even lengthy) about the composer, or how a piece came about, and so on can be really interesting. Also, just hearing who the composer or work is is nice so I don't have to walk over and hit the info button to display the banner (my old DTV box constantly displays the info, TiVo doesn't).

I of course wouldn't mind buying a CD with an interview with the artist on track 99 or seomthing, just like DVD extras. You can skip them or listen to them.

But I don't want commercials on a subscription network, unless they're really a propos. Of course I really don't want game or reality shows on something called "music television" or anything other than movies on "the movie channel" either, but hey, that's just me. My local non-commercial OTA radio stations are an NPR, and a Classical station. The classical station does air "commercials" for upcoming arts events locally, and I don't mind that. A propos I think.

But I wouldn't want to subcribe to an online classical station advertising commercial free music where they also broadcast locally and air "local commercials". They should tailor the broadcase to an online audience (so should XM being the point).

Now I have to admit, I'm getting XM for free, so I can't really complain. In a sense, those commercials, if broadcast only to DTV customers who get XM "free" with a package are reasonable if appropriate (that I've not had enough experience with to make a judgement). But, if I had to pay for XM, I wouldn't add it on (which is why I haven't subscribed to it for my car etc.) to my DTV package based on what I know about it now.

P&GW,

Steve
Stevotomy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #5 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I wonder if you would buy a DVD if it had commercials embedded.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #6 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

I find the XM channels I listen to far more enjoyable than MC ever was, despite the "interruptions". The music selections are intelligent, not randomly programmed, and I often learn something from the announcer. I'll admit that some XM channels are more obnoxious than others, but I'm very, very happy with XM40 (Deep Tracks) and am thrilled that DirecTV carries it so I don't have to think about how to add XM to my home stereo system.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #7 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

Oops, we do. What I hate are the commercials at the start of DVD's that you can't skip through.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 PM   #8 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevotomy
BM,

I just responded to the other poll (80+ posts), but I'll re-iterate here:

I don't mind chatter as long as it's informational.

Yes I read that there.

This morning I was flipping through channels and checked out Highway 16 again. During the short time I had it on there was this big blaring spot (commercial, advertisement, promo, what ever you want to call it) for XM's Gospel music channel. Now not that I'm against Gospel music, I actually like it, but that Commercial had nothing to do with the songs being played on Highway 16 or by any stretch of the imagination anything at all to do with Highway 16.

I don't know how anyone can defend that and not classify it as a Commercial.

Period.

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #9 (Print)
kpreede
Regular Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to kpreede
So...do you consider the time between movies on HBO where they basically play commercials for HBO to be unacceptable too? My initial reaction to your poll is that it is a big nothing burger. If you don't like it so much, just don't tune to it.
kpreede is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #10 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
Can't say that I have. But I don't buy many DVD's.

But are we talking commercials that occur during the movie or are we taking about commercials before and/or after the movie?

If they are not interrupting the movie like the chatter on XM is interrupting the music then the comparison is flawed.

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #11 (Print)
rwhitlow
Posting Deficient

In between songs on the CD they could tell you how great their other CD's are. Or maybe plug a friends CD.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #12 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpreede
So...do you consider the time between movies on HBO where they basically play commercials for HBO to be unacceptable too? My initial reaction to your poll is that it is a big nothing burger. If you don't like it so much, just don't tune to it.
You said it yourself, it's between the movies, it is not interrupting the movie(s).

Let's get and keep the comparison straight.

And I don't get HBO.

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #13 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitlow
In between songs on the CD they could tell you how great their other CD's are. Or maybe plug a friends CD.
That's what I'm saying. And wouldn't it be annoying to have to listen to that each and every time you played the CD if you couldn't skip it. And even if you could skip it you have to program your CD player to do it or sit remote in hand... You'd have to rip the songs off and make your own CD minus the chatter. (But you'd have to get Sony's blessing first )

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #14 (Print)
kpreede
Regular Guy

So basically, your poll is something along the lines of "i think something sucks...do you?" and then I don't see how it differs from the one you posted on this very topic earlier. Did you not get sufficient answers? BTW, I voted NO on this. I wouldn't buy a CD that anything but songs on it. But I think XM is not the same as CDs...it's its own thing.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #15 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
So basically, your poll is something along the lines of "i think something sucks...do you?" and then I don't see how it differs from the one you posted on this very topic earlier. Did you not get sufficient answers? BTW, I voted NO on this. I wouldn't buy a CD that anything but songs on it. But I think XM is not the same as CDs...it's its own thing.
So on a music CD you definitely want to hear music and only music, why then on music channels is it ok to listen to advertisments that have nothing to do with the music you are currently listening to, that is being played on that channel? No offense but it sounds like a double standard.

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #16 (Print)
kpreede
Regular Guy

Different products = different expectations for me. I think it's just a difference of OPINION between you and I, nothing more.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #17 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Different products = different expectations for me. I think it's just a difference of OPINION between you and I, nothing more.
Excellent point. I could not agree with you more.

My expectations when I heard Commercial Free was uninterrupted music. I was disappointed to find out that was not the case.

After all, I never thought XM would lie to us...

and ah, a, A55

Last edited by BlankMan : 12-15-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 12-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #18 (Print)
kpreede
Regular Guy

My work is done here. Good to debate BlankMan...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #19 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
My work is done here. Good to debate BlankMan...
LOL

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #20 (Print)
rlj5242

I'm with stevel on this. I enjoy the XM programming MUCH more than MC. I've been an XM subscriber since we bought my wife's car over 2 years ago. I missed it so much when in my car, I got a SkyFi2 for my car last Christmas. I picked up a couple of home cradles for it so now it's on my desk both here at work and at home. Now when we do things around the house, the satellite receiver is tuned to the 80's channel and blasting though up to two different stereo systems.

As for the "commercials", promos, fun spots, etc. I like them. If there hadn't been a promo for the Silvertide interview of Motley Crue, I would have never tuned in at that time. Same with most of the Artist Confidential series. The promos are hilarious. The recurring "security guard" bit on Squizz is one of my favorites. I laugh every time they pull out the "bong" on Boneyard. If I want uninterrupted music at home, I'll stream some off of my the 1,500+ CD's I've put on my network.

Finally, I pay DirecTV to provide me television service. Would I still pay $100+/month for premium service if the dropped the music channels completely. Sure I would. They are just a nice bonus for me.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #21 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
Is this still a TiVo forum?
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #22 (Print)
RonP

Kudos Rax! Let's move this debate(?) and the umpteen others like it to a D* programming forum.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #23 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rax
Is this still a TiVo forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonP
Kudos Rax! Let's move this debate(?) and the umpteen others like it to a D* programming forum.
You guys have the choice to ignore this thread, so take it. Neither of you guys look to be heavy posters so why did you waste your time in this thread anyway?

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #24 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
Uh oh, he invoked the "your post count isn't as high as mine" thing. Guess I'll go hide since my opinion doesn't have enough posts to count.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #25 (Print)
danska

I don't buy audio cd anyway, (why? i prefer aac format at 192kbps for $3-4. Or $5 for 320kbps.. And no, im not talking about p2p.) but still.. I have 2 xm receivers and am very happy to pay them the fee. I would rather pay the fee and listen to the commercials than have to deal with fm radio. All this kiss fm and free fm crap sucks. I want to listen to music. I don't want some dj ranting on about stupid things. I despise the while Jack fm crap infinity pulled. "playing what we want".. No... play what i want to hear... Not you...
danska is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:19 PM   #26 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
I don't know about you, but I hate any additional ads on my DVD's an either leave the room until the DVD menu is displayed or I attempt to bypass them to get to the menu, so I can select the movie. And I show up late for a movie at the theaters just to bypass the commercials that are now being shown at the theaters before the movies.

When I buy content, I want content not chatter, self-promotion (really a commercial), or a product commercial unrelated to the current service.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #27 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danska
I don't buy audio cd anyway, (why? i prefer aac format at 192kbps for $3-4. Or $5 for 320kbps.. And no, im not talking about p2p.) but still.. I have 2 xm receivers and am very happy to pay them the fee. I would rather pay the fee and listen to the commercials than have to deal with fm radio. All this kiss fm and free fm crap sucks. I want to listen to music. I don't want some dj ranting on about stupid things. I despise the while Jack fm crap infinity pulled. "playing what we want".. No... play what i want to hear... Not you...

So, what you really are saying is that you like paying for LESS CHATTER, and dislike chatter enough to pay to get rid of it. XM RADIO vs FM RADIO.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #28 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242
I'm with stevel on this. I enjoy the XM programming MUCH more than MC. I've been an XM subscriber since we bought my wife's car over 2 years ago.
-Robert
This is what I have been attempting to point out for some time, the people who really do not have any problem with XM RADIO over MUSIC CHOICE, usually fall into five categories, and this person if the number one category, a XM RADIO subscriber.

And even funnier, they all are subscribing to XM RADIO, so they do not have to deal with the chatter on FM RADIO, go figure.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #29 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rax
Uh oh, he invoked the "your post count isn't as high as mine" thing. Guess I'll go hide since my opinion doesn't have enough posts to count.

No, not even close. You both have been members a while which indicates to me you hang around the board and glean information from it, as do I and don't contribute that much (I am NOT slamming that) but you felt in necessary to of all things voice your opinion in this thread, but not really regarding the thread topic. You don't like it, then ignore it as I'm sure others do.

Ah never mind. Just didn't have my flack jacket on and properly secured.

and ah, a, A55
Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #30 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
And even funnier, they all are subscribing to XM RADIO, so they do not have to deal with the chatter on FM RADIO, go figure.
ROTFL

and ah, a, A55