Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #1 (Print)
jimmymac

Argumentative Service Reps at Tivo

Right now I'm on hold with a very argumentative service rep at Tivo. I'm having a huge problem with one of my boxes that was recently replaced and reached the point with it where I am have given up trying to get it to work. I'm quickly reaching the point where I'm going to be done with Tivo for good if this guy just doesn't cancel the service on the box that I cannot get to work.

Why do companies like Tivo make it so difficult to cancel service? They won't let you cancel online, although you can add more machines very easily online. I had to wait on hold 20 minutes just to get a represenative today and I get one who wants to argue with me.

So far I've been told by this rep "in the history of Tivo nobody has called in with that problem." I got told that "we're not going to take the box back" when I didn't even ask for them to take it back. They sent me a replacement box about a month ago when my original Tivo stopped working which was something totally unexpected and something I didn't ask for. I was calling in to cancel the service back when they offered to replace my original box that had stopped working. I've also been reminded by the rep twice that if I cancel the service and want to restart I will be locked into a contract. I told him twice that I wasn't going to call in to restart service on a box that I've been trying a month to get working. Just do what I asked because the more you argue with me the more likely it's going to be that I'm going to cancel the other box as well.
jimmymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #2 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

what is the problem with the Box "that the rep never heard of?"
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #3 (Print)
nrc
Cracker Soul

Send a message via AIM to nrc
Looks like he started a thread about the problem here.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...d.php?p=3610512
Not sure which part has never, ever happened before.

Who's anyone at all

-- Warren Zevon
nrc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #4 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
what is the problem with the Box "that the rep never heard of?"

I've done the guided set up on this box 3 times now at a friend's place because I don't have a landline at home. Have done and completed the set up and then taken the box home and when I connect the box at home and it boots back up it starts up like I never did the set up.

Rep kept telling me that I didn't complete the set up. I spent an entire day setting up 3 Tivos at a friend's place the other day since she got a new box. I know how to do the set up. I also know you need to wait for the set up to complete. I got her new box up and running and I also resetup her old box to work in another room without a cable box and I then did the 3rd try on mine.

I thought I had finally gotten past the problems when I got it home it appeared to be working. Had my guide data etc and seemed fine. Last night I attempted to get it on my network so I could begin using the machine and it wouldn't give me the option to change from using the phone to using a network. My other machine is up and running on the network with no problems. I unplugged the adaptor and put it in again with no results. I then unplugged the machine and when it rebooted it started up on the guided setup which is what happened the 2 previous times I brought the box home from my friends.

I finally got the rep to cancel the service on the box and I just tossed the box in the trash.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #5 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

most likely a bad adapter, did you try a known good adapter from the other TiVo. Sounds like you may have thrown a working TiVo in the trash without much thought put to how to troubleshoot a problem
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #6 (Print)
jimmymac

It's not a bad adaptor. The adaptor works fine with the other machine. I've switched them out several times when the problems with the machine began. It also worked fine yesterday with the friends new box. I wanted to show her what she could do if she bought an adaptor to connect to her network.

What would a bad adaptor have to do with the machine going into guided setup mode like it's never been set up when rebooted?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #7 (Print)
Stanley Rohner

You tossed it in the trash ?

Good solution.

Where do you live ?

What day is your trash day ?
Stanley Rohner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #8 (Print)
MickeS

Sounds like it could (possibly) be a hard drive error. If the sector where it stores the guide data is damaged, it might not be able to read it. Since it's easily done, I would try and back up the HD and replace it and try again. HD failure can manifest itself in mysterious ways (the USB ports on my computer stopped working when the HD started to fail there, for example).

Does it boot up fine after completing the guided setup at your friends house? I would leave it there for a day or two and see if it works there.

If you can fish it out of the trash, that is.
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #9 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Sounds like it could (possibly) be a hard drive error. If the sector where it stores the guide data is damaged, it might not be able to read it. Since it's easily done, I would try and back up the HD and replace it and try again. HD failure can manifest itself in mysterious ways (the USB ports on my computer stopped working when the HD started to fail there, for example).

Does it boot up fine after completing the guided setup at your friends house? I would leave it there for a day or two and see if it works there.

If you can fish it out of the trash, that is.

It's staying in the trash. I've been dealing with screwed up Tivo's for several months now and frankly I'm over Tivo right now. First it was my original unit which started going wonky after I got it out of storage. That one took a day to get out of the powering up mode after I set it back up in my new place. I got it working again for a bit after I erased everything that was recorded, but as soon as I started recording programs it started acting up. I figured it was the hard drive, but called Tivo anyway and was totally surprised when the rep said to send it back and they would send me another one. The old machine was 4 years old. I was ready to pull the plug on the service at that point, but figured I'd give it another chance.

After 3 attempts at going through the set up at my friends and having it not work is more than enough for me. Having the rude rep blurt out "we're not taking it back" without my even asking them to even though I also am thinking that the guided set up isn't getting written to the drive and I was sent a defective replacement unit and also being rudely told that if I turn off the service I'll be stuck with a contract if I set the box up again, I've decided I don't need to give my money to Tivo any more. I've been paying for service for 5 months on a machine that was in storage for 3 months, that was shipped back to Tivo and I've been messing with the new unit for a month.

I got my money's worth out of the original unit. I didn't pay for the replacement box. I could go out and buy a new Tivo for not a lot of money, but since I have no land line getting it set up is a major imposition unless I can find one of the new boxes that are wireless ready out of the box. But I don't want to do business with any companies that force me into service contracts, so Tivo is no longer a company I want to support for that and for also their shitty treatment of their Mac users over the past year. The screwed up replacement box was just the final straw for me.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #10 (Print)
Jeeters

Doesn't even sound as complicated as a sector error. Sounds like a corrupted table or index in the database tables holding the current setup info.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #11 (Print)
MickeS

Throwing your TiVo in the trash certainly teaches that CS rep a lesson. But I can see where you're coming from.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #12 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

I wondered about a bad adapter from the factt hat nothing happened when you plugged it in. Your reply shows the adapater was wroking though. Bad hard drive is my vote sa well on both boxes.

so what is the OP going to use in place of the TiVo I wonder
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #13 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
so what is the OP going to use in place of the TiVo I wonder

I still have a working Humax 80 hour Tivo so I haven't dumped them completely, but if and when that machine goes I'll probably go with the cable companies DVR.

All in all, I like Tivo, but their customer service and recent policy changes leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I wish the rep I spoke to a month ago hadn't offered to replace my dead box. I would have cancelled the service on it a month ago and saved myself all the aggrivation I had with the replacement box.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #14 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. When you hooked up the adapter, did the MAC address ever show up? Did the adapter light up? Which model adapter are you using?

If you're willing to send me your 15-digit TSN, I'd like to take a look at the case notes and call history to see if some is askew.

Jerry
TiVo CS Engineer & Grillmeister
TiVo Ninja
TiVoJerry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #15 (Print)
rextilleon

Be happy that you got a service rep to answer your phone. My mother-in-law has been waiting for two hours----I will update.
rextilleon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #16 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. When you hooked up the adapter, did the MAC address ever show up? Did the adapter light up? Which model adapter are you using?

If you're willing to send me your 15-digit TSN, I'd like to take a look at the case notes and call history to see if some is askew.

I've already said it's not the adaptor. It was a Linksys Wireless B 2.4 GHx 802.11b. It works fine. Since I won't be needing it anymore, I gave it to the friend who just bought a second Tivo, the same friend who had kept letting me cart my Tivo over to her place to do the guided set up 3 times. It worked fine on her Tivo last night when I used it to connect her new Tivo to her network. It worked fine on my other Tivo when I switched them out. I have the exact same adaptor on my other box. It's not the adaptor. It was the Tivo.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #17 (Print)
Stanley Rohner

Seems like the OP is argumentative also.
Stanley Rohner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #18 (Print)
MickeS

But we all know now that it's not the adapter!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #19 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac
I've already said it's not the adaptor. It was a Linksys Wireless B 2.4 GHx 802.11b. It works fine. Since I won't be needing it anymore, I gave it to the friend who just bought a second Tivo, the same friend who had kept letting me cart my Tivo over to her place to do the guided set up 3 times. It worked fine on her Tivo last night when I used it to connect her new Tivo to her network. It worked fine on my other Tivo when I switched them out. I have the exact same adaptor on my other box. It's not the adaptor. It was the Tivo.

Depending on your symptoms, I may have a resolution for you once I've looked at your TSN.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #20 (Print)
jradford
The Jerkstore called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rohner
Seems like the OP is argumentative also.

I think "frustrated" is a much more accurate word here.

If you have the TSN, give it a shot. I have run into many helpful people at Tivo, and Jerry sounds like one of them. This other guy you had did not, and seemed to only create a more irritating environment.
jradford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #21 (Print)
jimmymac

I never meant to come off as argumentative. I am completely frustrated. I've e-mailed TivoJerry my service number but I really don't expect anything at this point. I cancelled the service on the box and it's sitting in a trash bag.

I don't want to spend any more time doing a guided set up. I don't want to impose on my friend again to do it.

I really wish the service rep who told me to send back my original messed up box had just let me cancel the service back then. It would have saved me a whole lot of aggrivation.

So lets just let this thread die.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #22 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

I can certainly understand your frustration with this situation. The symptom you reported is unusual enough that I can see why an agent would make such a broad claim, even though the agent is not really in a position to do so. I don't think any of the reps have been here for the entire history of TiVo.

Considering what you've gone through, I can understand you not wanting to continue working on this issue further, and I'm not here to push the matter further. However, it behooves me to let you know that I have some answers and options for you to consider.

1> Your replacement unit came with 4.0.1 SW, the first version to officially support networking capabilities. This version does not support many of the adapters that the newer software does. According to my records, your other TiVo is using a Linksys WUSB11 version 2.8, which was not supported until 4.0.1a or 4.0.1b (can't remember that far back), so if this is what you were trying to use it would not have worked until you upgraded SW.

2> My call records show a ton of failed connection attempts on 12/12 thru 12/15. This would indicate that the unit did not manage complete Guided Setup properly, so if it was unplugged and moved back home without finishing, it is understandable that it would start GS all over again.

The call history on 12/25 was as clean as could be, so GS finally finished w/o a problem. If the unit would've called in one more time, it would've updated SW immediately (the call status would show as "pending restart"). It is at this point that a restart would install the latest SW and I would expect the adapter to work properly.

While I don't have enough information in front of me at this time to say for certain if you had a bad hard drive, the call pattern strongly suggests otherwise. I think one more (successful) daily call could solve all your problems.

If you do decide to hook this unit up and make that call (successfully) to no avail, you can be certain that I will personally authorize this unit for an exchange, although I strongly doubt that I'll need to. At the very least, I'm thinking someone on this forum would be more than happy to take this unit off of your hands considering the prognosis.

Again, I'm sorry you were treated the way you were. There's no excuse for being treated rudely.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #23 (Print)
TechDreamer

Tivo's Telephone customer service has gotten worse as Tivo has become more complicated, but Tivo's responses on this board are still pretty good. I guess there is still some hope.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #24 (Print)
jimmymac

Jerry, if it was as easy as taking the box back to my friends and forcing a call, I'd have no problem doing it. The problem is when I rebooted the box hoping it would recognize my adaptor, it came back on wanting to go through the guided set up all over again. And I know for sure that it completed on 12/25 because I purposely didn't unplug the box until I recorded a couple of programs and was 100% certain that it was working.

>2> My call records show a ton of failed connection attempts on 12/12 thru 12/15

I suspect that all of those we me trying to get the box to connect using the ,#401 as the dailing prefix with the wired usb ethernet adapter I bought (and have since taken back).
Old 12-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #25 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

In that case, I've gone ahead and authorized an exchange for you at no cost. If you call back in with your case #, you will find that there will be no further argument or troubleshooting necessary.

Keep in mind that the holiday season is our highest call volume, so you might wish to call first thing in the morning to minimize any delay.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #26 (Print)
CoCainPharmD

Hello TivoJerry,
I just posted the following message over at the tivo website forums and found a reference to this thread and you. Maybe you can help me with my problem, which dates back to August. My parents have been trying to deal with tech support and I'm now trying to help them. I live in another state, so I did not know of the extent of their problems and issues with TiVo until now. If you don't mind, I could send you my parent's TSN and have you look at it. From what they tell me, they've spent alot of time on the phone with TiVo, so there should be lots of notes from the reps on the problems.

Thanks,
Corey

"Hi,
I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to help me, but right now, this is the only place I know of to ask this question. Is there any other way to contact Tivo customer to discuss billing and service issues other than on the phone? I ask this question after sitting on hold for 40 minutes (when there was an estimated hold time of 20 minutes) on my on day off in 3 weeks. This after my parents have spent literally hours on the phone with tech support over the past 5 months trying to fix their box. I'm trying to get this resolved for them, but it is frustrating to find out that "e-mail support is not currently available" or whatever it says on this site. I bought my parents a Tivo branded box last Christmas and have been paying the service charges each month since then for them. In August, their box died and they were told they had to pay $50 for a replacement. They did this and the box arrived D.O.A - since that time, they've sent the box back, been charged $199.00 for a new box in addition to the $50 plus now have not had a working box since August. Meanwhile, I'm still being charged for the service. I'm really frustrated with this whole thing. Any suggestions?
Corey"
CoCainPharmD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #27 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

If you PM me with your TSN I'll try to take a quick look at the tech issue. I leave for CES on Monday for the entire week, so I don't have much time left to help out, but I'll see what I can do.

Jerry
TiVo Ninja
Old 12-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #28 (Print)
weathertop
HMO with AAC!

TivoJerry:

I don't think anyone has yet thanked you for your help that you've offered in this thread.

So, on behalf of all of us, thank you for your help, assistance, and your willingness to go the extra mile.

weathertop is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #29 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
...Happy New Year, Jerry! To you and all of the TiVo crew! Have fun (and bring us some groovy good SA HD dual tuner CC sooner-than-later TiVo-type news) at CES!!

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #30 (Print)
CoCainPharmD

I sent the TSN # - Thanks again for taking a look...... I'm just happy to have someone who seems to care about customer service and doing things right look at the problem for me.

THANKS
Corey
CoCainPharmD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post