July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #61 (Print)
Jesda
Nice Pants

Send a message via AIM to Jesda
Note to self... no sugar packets in the suitcase. Philly cops are idiots.

Last edited by Jesda : 12-29-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Jesda is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #62 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
The thing is, she was not "emotionally distressed" for almost TWO YEARS. I bet she was telling this story to one of her lawyer friends and they brought up the statute and she figured she can get the money to pay off her student loans.

I have no pity for her, and I just hope to god the city doesnt settle, and a jury tells her to take a hike.

Also keep in mind, not all cities may have their own testing facilities either. If the cops pull someone over in my area, it has to be sent downstate to be tested and that could take weeks, because you have to imagine how many samples labs may get every day from throughout the state.
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:56 PM   #63 (Print)
Rolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
The penalty for "wasting valuable police and lab time" by doing something stupid but not illegal or even malicious is something less than three weeks in jail, no?

What's the penalty for being a dumbass cop that doesn't know flour when he sees it? I've seen cocaine, and I've seen flour. I'm pretty sure I could tell you which was which 99 times out of 100, and I wouldn't even need a mirror and a straw to do it.

My guess is that the cops falsified the field test in an attempt to frame the admittedly stupid woman. That's a criminal act, and the city should be held liable for any consequence of that action. If it can be shown that the lab test was delayed the city should also be liable for damages because of false imprisonment.

They should line up a hundred of those field tests and use them all to test a sample of flour. If none of them test positive for drugs, fire the cops and pass the cash to the plaintiff.

Doing something stupid at an airport is a bad thing.

Cops that would deny someone's freedom by falsifying evidence is a much, much worse thing.

If the cops didn't falsify the test, the company that made the test should be liable for putting out a product that could cause so much damage when it fails.

I spent a few hours in jail once. It sucked. Spending three weeks in jail on a false charge would suck even more. If someone is negligent in a way that deprives a citizen of their freedom, they should pay for that negligence.
Rolf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #64 (Print)
macquariumguy
resU deretsigeR

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy Send a message via Yahoo to macquariumguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerobi
She wastes valuable police and lab time, on the public's dime.

More like the police wasted valuable police and lab time,on the public's dime. It should not have taken 3 hours to figure out they had flour and not drugs. Three weeks is ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #65 (Print)
busyba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf
They should line up a hundred of those field tests and use them all to test a sample of flour. If none of them test positive for drugs, fire the cops and pass the cash to the plaintiff.

If the test will fail, she must make bail.

busyba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #66 (Print)
jerobi
News/Deal Junkie

Hey, since we're on the topic, I'll share a link to the DEA MICROGRAM BULLETINS site. I skim it now and then to chuckle at the lengths smugglers go to to hide their drugs during transport. Some of these attempts are so sneaky you have to wonder how they ever got caught...and how many others never do get caught.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #67 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Dumba$$. Just packaging anything in that manner is bound to raise suspicions.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #68 (Print)
rkester
Objects in Mirror...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerobi
Hey, since we're on the topic, I'll share a link to the DEA MICROGRAM BULLETINS site. I skim it now and then to chuckle at the lengths smugglers go to to hide their drugs during transport. Some of these attempts are so sneaky you have to wonder how they ever got caught...and how many others never do get caught.

"Hey Bill, let's smuggle heroin today. I have this great idea! We will make a van out of the heroin, then ship the van to the US by selling it on ebay to ourselves piece by piece, and then I will pick the packages up dressed like Cheech Marin, because they wouldnt ever suspect me to be dealing heroin if im dressed like a pothead."

I think I read somewhere that 1 in 20 passengers on airplanes during regular domestic flights is carrying some form of illegal substance. Dont know if that is right but I wouldnt doubt it.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #69 (Print)
bsnelson
Frustrated, Inc.

Send a message via Yahoo to bsnelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
I say forget the fact it was packaged in condoms, that's totally irrelevant. If she had a pound of flour in a factory sealed bag in her luggage and they still jailed her on a false positive does that make her stupid?
I almost smeeked, but then I read your post...

At what point does it stop being "stupid" and start being "unreasonable detention"? If I have the above-mentioned factory sealed bag of Gold Medal in my luggage, should I get thrown in the pokey for three weeks? Surely the drug smugglers have tried this, right?

I do feel sorry for her; any amount of stupidity on her part was far repaid and then some by the detention. Now, as for the two-years-later lawsuit, that's another matter. If she had that much of a problem with it, she should have brought it sooner.

And the cops have definitely got to fix whatever problem allowed the false positive.

Brad

(1) room, (1) TV, (1626) hours
bsnelson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #70 (Print)
jcondon

Is The Philadelphia Inquirer a 'real' newspaper or is it like the Star?

I say she is moron. Lucky they didn't do a full body cavity search on her.

Probably shouldn't have taken 3 weeks for the cops to figure out it wasn't drugs.
This is a major city and probably should be required to test drugs a bit quicker then that. I personally would be embrassed to admit to a stunt as stupid as this.

Do I feel sorry for her? Nope. She put herself in this position. TOTALLY avoidable.

Don't screw around at the airport. The TSA, police and other feds have no sense of humor there.

I hope she wins a $1 award. She should really be required to pay all the expense of arresting her and for a lab to test the flour. And the man hours of filling out paper work and stuff.

Would I feel sorry for someone else who for whatever reason thought they needed to pack real flour in their suitcase when they flew. Say they were just too cheap to buy flour when they get where they are going? Or maybe its a type of flour they can't get where they are going. Maybe.
jcondon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #71 (Print)
aindik

Send a message via AIM to aindik
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon
Is The Philadelphia Inquirer a 'real' newspaper or is it like the Star?

Neither.

Kidding.... It's the "newspaper of record" in Philadelphia.
aindik is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #72 (Print)
RegBarc
MJITKOP

Send a message via AIM to RegBarc
Quote:
Neither.

I would hope so, or else I'd tear up my contract!

James, the Merciful's books

"Man cannot make principles; he can only discover them." - Thomas Paine
RegBarc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #73 (Print)
jcondon

Thanks. The National Inquirer kind of makes me think any paper with that name is bogus.

Quote:
Neither.

jcondon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #74 (Print)
Jebberwocky!
Named by SOAK

I guess it depends on on hot she is - I'd maybe give her a pass on being a moron - maybe.

"Nobody moves, nobody get hurt"
Jebberwocky! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #75 (Print)
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky!
I guess it depends on on hot she is - I'd maybe give her a pass on being a moron - maybe.

She's Asian and does "modern-dance moves to keep limber."

But, in all seriousness, if she were male and Latino, rather than female and Asian, if she hadn't been on an academic scholarship to a decent school, and if a prison guard hadn't taken pity on her and recognized her from volunteer work she does and put her in touch with charitable groups who got her competent legal representation, I have a feeling that it might have taken even longer than three weeks.

Link to longer article at this blog post, by a guy who, yes, agrees with me.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #76 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

She was probably stupid, but 3 weeks in jail is inhumane for what she did. I say she has a valid complaint.

You, sir, are brilliant. - pianoman
reaffirmed by brenrher - brenrher
You sir are a genius! - slydog75
timckelley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #77 (Print)
justmike
This space for rent

[Forest Gump] Momma says stuipd is as stupid does![/Forest Gump]

Brig1977-yes just a LITTLE is fun, not when its all over and in your mouth

Anubis- justmike is my favorite.
justmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #78 (Print)
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
If they have anything to do with the field test indicating a positive (i.e. they created it, bought it, didn't test it properly, or tampered with it), then they most certainly are to blame. They are also to blame for a three-week backlog on the final lab results.

Huh? If the test kit was 'defective' from the manufacturer, now can it be the cops fault? And (although I'm not sure) the lab they send it too may not even be a police lab. And even if it was, how can it be their fault? Do you really think the police lab only has one crime at a time to work on? If you think it takes too long, then I guess you would not have any problem with a big tax increase to pay for the extra manpower. And perhaps if people didn't do stupid stuff like this, there would not be a backlog.
Mark Lopez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #79 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

Keystone State Cops

Old 12-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #80 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

So, I must be the only one. Heck, I've considered using little baggies with flour in them so the next time I get pulled over, I can "drop" one on the passenger's seat. I figure if the cop wants to screw with me, I have every reason to screw with him.

I suppose wearing an empty "dress" holster (where the flap folds over the top) would be poor form too?

I'd have sued the minute I got out of jail. It isn't her fault the cops can't take a joke.
Snowman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #81 (Print)
redrouteone
This Space for Lease

It sounds like we did not get the whole story, once again.

If I understand correctly once she is arrested they have 48 hours to either file charges or let her go. So if they did file charges, wouldn't it have only take a couple of days for for a judge to decide wether she would be eleigable for bail or not?

Maybe I am remembering wrong but doesn't the constitution protect the government again suits from false arrest?

--Edit. The only reason you would fill condoms with flower and take it onto a plan is to make someone think it is drugs. I say she did exactly what she set out to do.
redrouteone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #82 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

Could they have filed charges and then dropped them?

Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #83 (Print)
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lopez
Huh? If the test kit was 'defective' from the manufacturer, now can it be the cops fault?

Is this the first time they're using it? Either they know it's faulty, or they should. They're the ones locking people up - they bear the burden of making sure their basis for locking people up is functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lopez
And (although I'm not sure) the lab they send it too may not even be a police lab. And even if it was, how can it be their fault? Do you really think the police lab only has one crime at a time to work on? If you think it takes too long, then I guess you would not have any problem with a big tax increase to pay for the extra manpower. And perhaps if people didn't do stupid stuff like this, there would not be a backlog.

If it's their lab, who else's fault is it? How could it not be their fault. And, even if it's not their lab, they picked it, and they have a duty, which comes with the coercive power of the state, to protect the liberty of their citizens (yes, even the stupid ones) by making sure they're not locking up clearly and demonstrably innocent people longer than necessary. If that means going to a different lab, or more than one lab, then do it. And yes, spend tax money protecting the liberty of law-abiding citizens (but don't increase taxes - there is so much other spending to cut).
Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #84 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
So, I must be the only one. Heck, I've considered using little baggies with flour in them so the next time I get pulled over, I can "drop" one on the passenger's seat. I figure if the cop wants to screw with me, I have every reason to screw with him.

I suppose wearing an empty "dress" holster (where the flap folds over the top) would be poor form too?

I'd have sued the minute I got out of jail. It isn't her fault the cops can't take a joke.

I hope you aren't serious!

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #85 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

Isn't flour somewhat distinctive in look and texture, as well as having a unique scent?

I'm guessing that any law enforcement officer with any amount of competence should be able to tell the difference without even the need for the field test, and at the very least, should be able to overrule the field test even if it indicates a positive.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #86 (Print)
GoodSpike

I think some of you have watched a bit too much CSI, where tests come back within hours.

As others have noted, presumably a judge determined that she should be held sometime early on in the process. The judge didn't buy her BS either.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #87 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinck
Isn't flour somewhat distinctive in look and texture, as well as having a unique scent?

I'm guessing that any law enforcement officer with any amount of competence should be able to tell the difference without even the need for the field test, and at the very least, should be able to overrule the field test even if it indicates a positive.

Well that would be a good way for a REAL drug smuggler to get away with it. Mix the drugs with flour and when it tests positive, have the officer override it because it smells like flour.

Hey....this is no different from someone yelling "Bomb" in the middle of the airport......whether you have it or not, you are purposely wasting the time of the law enforcers and should be punished for it.

Why would she bring this on a plane? Makes no sense. Oh well....her little "joke" went to far and she had to sit in jail for a few weeks. Sure, there were some mistakes by the lab, or officers, but NONE of those mistakes would have happened if she hadn't tried to play her "prank". Her actions were the cause of everything that came after that, so she shouldn't be rewarded for causing the problems.

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #88 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm
Well that would be a good way for a REAL drug smuggler to get away with it. Mix the drugs with flour and when it tests positive, have the officer override it because it smells like flour.

She's a dumbass, no doubt about it, but do drug smugglers mix flour in with Cocaine? The ones who value their lives don't, I can assure you!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 PM   #89 (Print)
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSpike
As others have noted, presumably a judge determined that she should be held sometime early on in the process. The judge didn't buy her BS either.

Well, seeing now that it actually was flour, I'm not sure which part of it was "BS" according to you. Certainly not the part where she said it was flour, which is the only legally relevant detail.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM   #90 (Print)
pawchikapawpaw

Send a message via AIM to pawchikapawpaw Send a message via Yahoo to pawchikapawpaw
There once was a girl from Philly
Who thought "Flour in condoms, that would be funny."
So she went through the airport
And came out with a police escort
Because she wanted to stroke a floppy willy.

Last edited by pawchikapawpaw : 12-29-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: change 'fake willy'
pawchikapawpaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post