July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #1 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Joe Paterno almost "fired" last year

Just thought it was interesting that, whether you love or hate him, someone would try to push out Joepa when, win or lose, he's a huge part of the PSU fanbase and even in losing times, they bring in the money because of him.

PENN STATE FOOTBALL
A CASE OF CLOUT
Paterno waved off school's bid to push him out
Thursday, December 29, 2005
BY DAVID JONES
Of The Patriot-News

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Chico Harlan, a terrific young reporter with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, sat down recently with coach Joe Paterno. Harlan had no idea of the story Paterno was about to tell:

On Nov. 21, 2004, the day after the conclusion of Penn State's forlorn 4-7 season, four PSU administrators went to Paterno's home in intervention style and asked him to consider resigning. A similar meeting had occurred before the 10th game of that season at Indiana.

It was not quite the story that Harlan had planned.

He had thought it would be a deep-thinking chin-stroker about power -- specifically about how Paterno had managed to accumulate so much clout without knotting a noose around his own neck.

What Harlan got instead was an up-close and personal lesson in how Paterno used that power to defend himself against someone who sought to take him down -- PSU President Graham Spanier.

Harlan had floated the idea for a story past a PSU athletic liaison, who ran it by Paterno. The coach liked the idea, because it fit right into his own.

Paterno granted a rare sit-down, and even prepped wife Sue to be interviewed by Harlan on the phone. And he described exactly how top Penn State officials tried to sack him.

Paterno didn't divulge names -- telling Harlan "it wouldn't be fair to them" -- but it was easy for the reporter to guess two of them: Spanier and PSU athletic director Tim Curley.

Harlan tracked them down, and neither had much to say other than admitting having discussions with Paterno.

Harlan's story ran on Christmas Day, when Paterno and his team already were in south Florida, prepping for Tuesday night's Orange Bowl game with Florida State. In the story, Paterno in his patented offhand way, made it clear he had shooed the pests away as he would a troublesome dog the neighbors let run free.

Though Paterno has suggested before in cryptic terms that Spanier had approached him about possibly making changes, it was stunning that he finally came right out and said it.

And one thing was clear -- Joe was sticking it to the president. As one athletic department official put it last night at Penn State's Bal Harbour Sheraton headquarters: He was making it clear to Spanier, "Don't bother hopping on my bandwagon."

To anyone who doubted before that Paterno and Spanier are on nothing close to cordial terms, this is proof. And you don't go rubbing the school president's nose in it without a holster full of clout.

Paterno obviously has been itching to tell this story, but no one really thought he would come out and spill all. He came very close on Dec. 11 at the Quarterback Club senior banquet at the Penn Stater Hotel. There, he told the audience of boosters:

"I would be remiss if I didn't tell you what I told those guys [evidently referring to Spanier and Curley] when they were talking about my retirement before the Indiana game. I said, 'You guys just knock it off. If I can keep my staff together, we're going to surprise a lot of people.'

"I had a couple of meetings with the people in the administration before the Indiana game that really -- I wouldn't use the vernacular that we use in the locker room -- but, I got P.O.ed.

"I walked away that night and there were many nights when I didn't sleep past 3 o'clock in the morning. And there was one thing on my mind: We're going to get this team back to where it belongs.

"This team has lost one game since that meeting. And it was the one where the guys didn't have watches on. "

That would be the 27-25 loss at Michigan in which two seconds were put back on the clock and U-M won on a play that began with :01 to go.

Anyway, Joe wanted this story told. And today he has the right to gloat. Is it bad form?

Well, can there be any doubt now how much Joe resents Spanier's and Curley's lack of loyalty? That's the way he sees it, not necessarily the way it is.

Personally, I can't blame Spanier. You actually have to give him credit for trying to get Joe to quit on his own and then making the right call as it turned out by allowing him to stay.

Did anyone see this 10-1 season coming last November? I didn't. Not in a million years. Had I the power of Graham Spanier, I would have fired Paterno. And I would've been wrong.

Only after the Justin King and Derrick Williams signings, which Joe was responsible for, did I give the Nittany Lions a chance of a winning 2005 season.

I changed my mind completely in July when Penn State held a press conference to pump its upcoming fantasy camp and, in order to lure reporters, made available captains Alan Zemaitis, Michael Robinson and Paul Posluszny.

I felt something tangible during a relaxed hour talking to those three. A trio of real leaders unlike the football program had had in years. A few weeks later, I picked this team 9-2 based on a leap of faith.

But that was something the old man had all along.

Last year at this time, he was right and we were all wrong. And if he wants to throw his weight around a little, more power to him.

He certainly has it to throw.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...9760.xml&coll=1

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #2 (Print)
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

I wonder what will happen if the rumors said around here are true:

PSU had to squash a major revolt by the players when the Lions got FSU for the Bowl game. The general feeling was that they had worked so hard to get where they are in the BCS standings and then got shafted when they did not get a highly ranked opponent. Many felt cheated.

If the Lions collapse and get blown out, will Paterno get all the criticism or will the Sports writers will say the team was overrated ?

Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 AM   #3 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Interesting. JoePa has a ton of clout.

Dmon, not surprised about the rumors. I'd feel bad, too, especially when you get #22 and #6 is playing in the No-Name Bowl. The NCAA should grow a pair and take the top 8 teams and run a playoff. Every other football division does it.

FSU is a pretty streaky team. They lost a few games midseason when their QB threw a lot of picks and I'm going to be very interested in how well the Lion defense pressures this guy.

On defense, FSU lost their leading tackler after he got sent home for "violating training rules", in connection with charges of sexual assault.

It's all downside for Penn State. If they win, FSU is seen as a weak opponent. If they lose, they're overrated.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:40 AM   #4 (Print)
RegBarc
MJITKOP

Send a message via AIM to RegBarc
Joepa is one of the most hilarious and candid public figures I have seen in my short lifetime.

James, the Merciful's books

"Man cannot make principles; he can only discover them." - Thomas Paine
RegBarc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 AM   #5 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

Stick it to The Man, Joe! Of course, if he has an average or poor record next year, he's definitely getting the boot.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #6 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
Stick it to The Man, Joe! Of course, if he has an average or poor record next year, he's definitely getting the boot.

"encouraged" to retire more like it...gotta make it his idea so the alumni keep giving $$$$$ and dont launch a boycott of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegBarc
Joepa is one of the most hilarious and candid public figures I have seen in my short lifetime.

Probably the only coach to have his number in the phone book. Can't imagine the calls

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #7 (Print)
mdsutherland
I'm your huckleberry

Send a message via AIM to mdsutherland Send a message via Yahoo to mdsutherland
I don't think the administration handled the situation that poorly. Penn State was in a little slump and it didn't look like they were going to turn it around anytime soon. I think talking to him in private shows some amount of respect. I do believe Joe should be able to coach as long as he wants because he is Penn State football to most people.
mdsutherland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post