TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 137 19.19%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 405 56.72%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 104 14.57%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 68 9.52%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2002, 12:41 PM   #1 (Print)
Samsara
Perfectly Cromulent

The Batch Play/Save to VCR Thread

Below are some of the previous threads on this subject, but if you have something to add, please use this thread.

Can someone tell me why batch save to VCR is so difficult?
Save to VCR batch mode
multiple programs to VCR
Save to VCR Easy Enhancements
Samsara is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2002, 03:29 PM   #2 (Print)
Peter

SKY+ batch save to vcr

Batch save to VCR is all ready available in the UK with SKY+. Have a look at Gary Sargent's comparison between Tivo and SKY+.
The batch save feature seems to be a simple but effective feature.
www.tivoportal.co.uk

Old 01-13-2002, 06:43 AM   #3 (Print)
DougPickering

Lightbulb Programmed Play

My TiVo is (almost) full of kids programs. They all last 20 minutes to half an hour each. When my wife or I want some peace (or even to watch satelite) we usually put on one of the kids favourites in another room and we get to relax for a while.

Twenty minutes or so later the peace is shattered and we put on another programme.

I may use a Play List to record to tape, I may not. I would definately use one to keep the kids amused. If it had a random play feature it would be even better, add some editing to get rid of the adverts and there would be even peace.

Sure the kids have videos, usually with episodes from the same series. They fight over which to have next or get bored quickly.

Not everyone has kids, not veryone would use their TiVo this way but please help me to acheive a more relaxed life and add a Programmable Play List.

Doug P
DougPickering is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2002, 01:05 AM   #4 (Print)
jbuff

Batch Play, Playlists, Programmed Play.

None of those grab me. Maybe I'm showing my age, but the obvious name for the feature is "Jukebox Play".

Or doesn't anybody remember jukeboxes anymore?

--jbuff
jbuff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2002, 01:41 PM   #5 (Print)
dbyerman

A New Approach

I thought of a new way to implement this last night, and I really don't think this would take too much programming.

The number keys on the remote aren't used for anything on the "Now Playing" list. Why not simply allow users to move the highlight bar to a program, then hit a number key and superimpose the number entered over the day of the week recorded. When a program is played from the Now Playing list, the TiVo would look for whether that program has a number entry; if so, it would then play the next higher number in sequence at the conclusion of the playback (with the "save to vcr" show description first). This would limit the number of queued programs to 10 (0-9 on the keypad) but really, wouldn't that be enough? Sure 12 thirty-minute programs could fit on a six-hour tape, and 18 would fit on an eight-hour tape but I think this would suffice and be much better than the status quo.

Heck, even make this a feature only accessable through backdoors so you don't have to provide technical support. Just please make it happen! I'm planning an upgrade this upcoming weekend to 132 hours and in the meantime have to go through the tedium of saving individual programs to tape. This is the ONE FEATURE that would make my TiVo complete.

One overworked HDVR2 at 234 hours.
dbyerman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #6 (Print)
davidwat

Question

Has anyone from TIVO responded to the issue of batch play/record? My TIVO is so crammed with Bill Nye episodes and 3 stooges shorts it's driving my wife and me crazy.
davidwat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2002, 02:42 PM   #7 (Print)
UncaAndoo

Send a message via AIM to UncaAndoo
I just bought a cheap-o 14-hour Tivo, and haven't gotten it yet. But, I did a search for two features I thought would be useful.

1) Playback at slightly faster-than-normal speed? (Ans. Closed-captioning at slowest FF.) I can live with this, especially since I periodically turn on the CC anyway.

2) This feature (playlist, batch record, whatever). I am very disappointed that this feature doesn't exist. Especially with a smaller capacity TiVo, this would be a useful feature. Several uses have been mentioned.
-archiving
-marathon (unattended) watching
-parental guide (goes along with unattended)

However, I'm not sure I'd pay for it, especially since I only paid $99 for my TiVo.

Philips 230-hour Combo Unit
UncaAndoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #8 (Print)
jewelerm

Send a message via ICQ to jewelerm Send a message via AIM to jewelerm Send a message via Yahoo to jewelerm
I see the value in the concept you are discussing here... But I agree, that the Save to VCR function is of limited usefullness. One of the reasons, IMHO, is that who wants to archive a digital recording on an analog device?

Instead, I propose a different idea:
A digital backup/recording. i.e., it is great that you can copy to Tape, but certain programs you want to record forever, there should be a way (through network, or writeable VCD or DVD) to save the actualy MPEG file, so you preserve original quality and don't degrade over time, etc.

Mark Jeweler
jewelerm@unforgettable.com
jewelerm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-29-2002, 02:24 PM   #9 (Print)
jr666

Angry I WANT IT NOW!!!

TIVO YOU MUST COMPLY.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-07-2002, 01:28 PM   #10 (Print)
retrodog
Forum Koshatnik

Angry

Of course there is a need for this feature. I record several things and some of them nightly.

I'd like to put a play list together for things that total up to 6 hours and then just let the VCR record them unattended.

You can get into all those disputes about quality of digital vs. analog till you are blue in the face but for a lot of stuff the quality isn't all that important.

As it stands now I have to record one show at a time and then come back to start the next one. In my house the VCR has been pretty much demoted to only three functions: 1. Archival, 2. Record for sharing with others, 3. Play what I borrow from others.

This should be easy to do. Just do it.

"There is some mental disorder, where people keep cats."justapixel
retrodog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2002, 08:27 PM   #11 (Print)
lieutenantglorp

Lightbulb auto standby

I have a Phillips DirecTivo 35 hr (soon to be expanded). A nice addition to the multiple episode/record to VCR feature would be for the Tivo to automatically go into standby mode after playing the batch. Since I haven't figured out a way to watch live TV while it's recording to VCR, the best time for this recording activity would be when I'm asleep. Just trying to save a little on the energy bill, and if my old VCR can be set to auto shut off, why can't Tivo?
lieutenantglorp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2002, 09:09 PM   #12 (Print)
BrettStah

Just turn off your TV. Putting a Tivo into standby mode doesn't save any electricity...

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #13 (Print)
douginsj

YES YES YES

I came here to suggest it myself, but it seems I'm among like-minded folk...

jewelerm: I see your point, but here's why I want this... I *do* archive some sports games to tape, plus a handful of shows I share with my less fortunate friends (i.e. non-DSS people). Some of the shows I dump to tape while I watch them, but it would be nice to have the option to have wonderful wonderful TiVo do it for me...while I'm asleep.

Of course, archiving to CD or DVD would be even better... When's that going to happen?
douginsj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-28-2002, 03:05 PM   #14 (Print)
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Will TiVo consider putting "batch record" in the next release? It would be great to setup 6 or 8 hours of programming to archive to videotape.

Philips DSR 7000 modified 120 hrs
TERK BMS58 Multiswitch
Harmony SST-659 Universal Remote
MRD-D1 modulators means All TiVos in All Rooms!
Rodney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-31-2002, 01:41 PM   #15 (Print)
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Well people, Embeem has done it again, and come up with an elegant hack for batch-save-to-vcr. Unfortunately, 2.5.1 has a bug that prevents his code from working properly. However, I'm told it works fine in 3.0.

Take a look:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...20&pagenumber=3

TiVoChris was attempting something similar, but Embeem one upped him on the third page and posted a better solution.
Saturn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-07-2002, 03:45 PM   #16 (Print)
cassioppi

Note

I don't understand the whole VCR thing anymore anyway. Nobody uses VCR's! They are done! With DVD burners now readily available and the new TIVO Series2 I/O ports, we should be able to archive shows to DVD. That would be the greatest thing since..... TIVO!
cassioppi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-07-2002, 04:06 PM   #17 (Print)
OasisRed
Bot Stopper

I want this too. But not just for the dumping to tape part. I often do my own marathons and would like to set up a playlist to run through all the show X recordings on my TiVo. I might also be recording it on tape. But the playlist aspect is the more important part of this feature for me.

Old 06-09-2002, 01:53 PM   #18 (Print)
jroysdon

I think the single biggest users of this will be folks with kids. As someone else posted, I have half a dozen kids shows that my kids watch (Bob the Builder, Theodore Tugboat, Bear in the Big Blue House, etc.).

My kids are 2 and 4, and they know they're not allowed to use the Tivo. It's a bad enough how they can manage to screw up their VCR and TV downstairs (hit the TV/VCR mode button and/or change it from channel 3, then whadyaknow, it won't play), I'd be scared what they could do to the Tivo. Anyway, now that we have 109 hours, I'd love to just be able to get 12 episodes of any one of their shows (6 hours) and dump them down to a tape for them to watch on their own TV. We already do this manually, but it's cumbersome and having to find the end of the last show each time is a pain, etc. Batch vcr save would be awesome.

I read about a hack, and I'm sure I'll do it buy a NIC for my Tivo, but for the common Tivo person (ie my Wife), this is a bit extreme.

Repaired a friend's Philips HDR312 S1 SA (MFSTools restore ftp'd image to a new drive, TurboNet bypassing bad modem) 01/05/03.
jroysdon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #19 (Print)
povertyrow

Quote:
Originally posted by cassioppi
I don't understand the whole VCR thing anymore anyway. Nobody uses VCR's! They are done! With DVD burners now readily available and the new TIVO Series2 I/O ports, we should be able to archive shows to DVD. That would be the greatest thing since..... TIVO!

Well, right now recordable DVD is in its infancy and there are incompatabilities between the various formats. Blank dvds themselves are a lot more expensive than tape. Same with the dvd burners - a lot more pricey than a 4-head hifi vcr. I've been a computer engineer for 18 years and still have avoided recordable dvd because of these issues.

In a year or 2 (at best) I think you will be right. But for now VCR is really the way to go, in my opinion anyway.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #20 (Print)
Joi

Send a message via AIM to Joi Send a message via Yahoo to Joi
How I'd use a batch save-to-vcr function

I have a 12volt tv/vcr combo which I take with me when traveling. (I travel a lot!)
When I get back from a trip, my tivo is full of shows I want to watch, but I'm not going to be home more than a day or two and can't watch them in time.

I very much want to be able to dump the entire contents of my tivo to two tapes (I use 8 hour tapes and have an original philips 14-hour model.) I want to be able to cue up 8 hours of stuff and dump it to a tape unattended (while I'm asleep, while I'm outside doing chores, while I'm out getting groceries, whatever.)

Then I can toss the two tapes into my duffle and head out on my next trip. This lets me watch the the shows on the two tapes in my portable tv/vcr combo while I'm on the road.

I have yet to see any 12v portable tv/dvd combo, much less an affordable one.
VCRs are not yet obsolete.

I like the idea of having all of the banners displayed at the start of the tape, but they'd need to be brief, and I'd use my vcr's slo-mo button to view them.

Having the commercials removed would be wonderful but I can live with out it, I can press FF on my vcr as easily as I do on the tivo itself.

As for the problem of the tivo taking to the vcr, I don't need that. Let me worry about which shows, how long they are, and if they'll fit on my tape or not.
Please don't let that worry prevent you from implementing an otherwise extremely useful and desirable feature.
Joi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #21 (Print)
jroysdon

Quote:
Originally posted by cassioppi

DVD writers are still $400+. Then there are at least 3 competing writer formats requiring their own non-compatible blanks (DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD-RW), which is keeping the blanks at $8+. When DVD+R (from the DVD+RW camp) and/or DVD-R (you guessed it, from the DVD-RW camp) come out, and when the drives drop below $200 and when the blanks to $0.50 or less like CD-Rs are at, then I'd DVD burning would be the way to go.

Not to mention that a number of older DVD readers can't use any of the burned formats.

Repaired a friend's Philips HDR312 S1 SA (MFSTools restore ftp'd image to a new drive, TurboNet bypassing bad modem) 01/05/03.
jroysdon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2002, 09:47 AM   #22 (Print)
nobodyhears

Send a message via AIM to nobodyhears Send a message via Yahoo to nobodyhears
Came here to post the playback list suggestion, but I see I'm not alone. I've got a sharp two year old who knows Dad's got a magic TV that can bring up any of her shows whenever she wants, but she doesn't like the 'Delete / Do Nothing' screen that comes up when they are over.

Come on Tivo Guys! Kick down! A batch playback option would be what, 10/12 lines of code?

If you really want to advertise "TV, the way you want it", then let's make it happen.

Old 06-25-2002, 01:59 PM   #23 (Print)
DaveLFC

The whole point of Tivo I thought was to scrap the tv shedules they throw at you and make your own. The TV here in the UK is awful with rare pearls in a sea of rubbish.

How I wish I could construct a playlist and just sit back and enjoy.

Plus I'm about to get a dvd recorder and batch archive would seem a great idea!

However if they haven't given these features to you in the states, what hope have your poor relations (tivo wise) in the Uk got of getting them.
DaveLFC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2002, 04:08 PM   #24 (Print)
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Send a message via ICQ to Hunter Green Send a message via AIM to Hunter Green Send a message via MSN to Hunter Green Send a message via Yahoo to Hunter Green
I think it's a lot more than 10-12 lines of code, because it has to have a user interface, some way to tell TiVo what you want in what order. But it still could be done easily enough that it should be in the works.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:53 AM   #25 (Print)
AlbertN

I just got a TIVO and I am extremely disappointed that you can't save multiple shows in succession.
I have 2 small children and multiple VCRs around the house. The lack of ability to batch record multiple shows to VCR almost makes that feature useless for my purposes.

Albert
AlbertN is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2002, 09:06 AM   #26 (Print)
Robin

I'm in the camp who would find batch save useful but am not up in arms about it not being there.

Albert, why does this make your TiVo useless? I really don't understand.

I saved four seasons of Buffy (approx 90 hours of programming) to tape with no problem whatsoever. It was on twice a day, so in the morning before I left for work I'd set it recording one, and in the evening before I went to bed I'd set it recording the other one. Sure, a batch save would have been handy, but my way worked fine.

I suppose you may have more than two kids' shows a day, but kids' shows are typically half hour so you have more opportunities to dump them to tape--have one record while you're eating dinner, giving baths, etc. Less convinient, sure, but it hardly renders the whole device useless.

Another thought on kids' shows: if they never watch them on the TiVo, just off the tapes, why even TiVo them in the first place? IMO setting the VCR would be easier than setting the TiVo and recording from it, but then again I'm a rare breed who knows how to program my VCR <grin>. Since you're so anxious to get them off I assume you haven't upgraded for more disk space, so that would be another plus.
Robin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2002, 11:54 AM   #27 (Print)
AlbertN

rsanborn,

I didn't say that my TIVO was useless, just that the record to VCR function was (almost) useless. Here's what I wish I could do. Set TIVO to record every episode of SpongeBob (Blue's Clues etc.). Then after a few days, dump all the episodes to VCR. At EP, I can dump 12 shows onto one tape. It would be quite cumbersome to have to reset the recording 12 times. In addition, I wouldn't be able to archive overnight.

Also, the reason I don't want to use the VCR in the first place is that TIVO can record unique episodes, regardless of the time or channel (I think). Often, children's shows are repeated countlessly, so I wouldn't want 12 copies of the same episode on one tape.

The other reason that I want to be able to dump to tape is that my TIVO is in my workout room (incentive to exercise) but my kids watch in other rooms of the house.

Albert
AlbertN is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2002, 03:54 PM   #28 (Print)
Robin

Now I see why I didn't understand--the very thought of 12 hours of children's programming makes me want to hide under my desk =)

One thing that may make it a little easier: Some VCRs (my Phillips, for example) have a "one touch recording" function, where you can set it to record for a fixed period of time. This way you can record for half an hour, getting the show w/o 11.5 hours of "now playing" afterwords.

As close to useless as it is, I do like the "Save to VCR" function, it's handy to have the episode name and description on the tape.
Robin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2002, 01:11 PM   #29 (Print)
jamesarm97

Please!, I would like to be able to mark shows to save to the VCR all at once. Maybe have the show listing and when you press select it puts a number beside the show indicating the order in which it will be saved. I have been looking for this one for awhile because it takes so long to save a show then remember when it is done to go and save the next one. Now I could really use it because my wife was in an accident and has been in intensive care for six weeks. She has a lot of shows she likes stacking up and it takes me forever to save each one. It would be nice to mark them and have then save to VCR when I go to bed.

- James Armstrong
jamesarm97 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2002, 01:44 PM   #30 (Print)
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

try using merge.tcl --

works like acharm. I load in automatically in my rc.sysinit

(1) Sony SAT T-60
(3) Hughes DVR-40
(1) Hughes HR10-250
Hi8 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post