TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 137 19.19%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 405 56.72%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 104 14.57%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 68 9.52%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #61 (Print)
BrettStah

Yes Tivo... all of your competitors have this feature, why don't you??

Oh, none of your competitors have this feature? But it is needed by so many people... how can that be??

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #62 (Print)
Michael_in_MD

The only entertainment I have been putting on tape is movies at best quality...I don't have any use for batch recording at this time.

Old 02-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #63 (Print)
RichT

I'd love to see this feature. Removable hard drives for sale with tivo's would be a nice alternative, but not as good because the tapes are cheaper and more portable.

In terms of implementing it, I imagine it's more than 12 lines of code for Tivo to add the feature. But if someone wants to create a hack for it that won't screw up the dvr, here's an idea for someone else to implement: program a remote to spit out stuff at timed intervals. it doesn't have to be a remote, it can be any box that will be placed in front of the tivo, and which can be programmed on a pc (or mac) and then told to start spewing the codes out. Unfortunately, you'd have to be careful to count the up and down arrows, since the "now playing" list won't show up on the computer screen, unless you type it in yourself.

When the new version comes out that allows you to program the tivo from the web, it will be possible to similarly drive it through the usb port with the right software, I'd think.
RichT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #64 (Print)
mvecera

I guess I'm like many people on this thread. I desperately want a batch save to VCR feature. I don't want it to control my VCR. Commercials are a necessary evil - though many of the programs I mostly tape cable programs. The Season Pass Manager UI would be an excellent interface. The feature is ENTIRELY software-based and could most certainly be uploaded at any time - and in competitive markets, I would think that any feature that people feel so passionately about would be a selling point. Telling people that if you buy the 80 hour version, that you could save a full season of the Sopranos (over a few tapes) and still have enough space to do whatever else you like.... That would be a HUGE plus. You should at least throw people a bone - it may not be the hottest, sexiest, techno-saavy feature in the world - but it would inspire enormous customer loyalty (from me especially) and I WANT TiVo to do it... I don't want to find out that some 16 year old hacker found a way to hack the files off the unit and burn them to tape or dvd.
mvecera is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-08-2003, 02:51 AM   #65 (Print)
emfraser

I'm a little late to be adding to this thread, but maybe people are still lurking around here. Apple's new iPods essentially have this feature -- building playlists on the go. I mention it only because its implementation is very good -- once you tell it you want to make a playlist on the go, you go to any song and just hold down the center button. It adds them in order. There was some discussion earlier on how to implement batch saving, but this seems like a very good way. TiVo has to make sure its interface is still clean and easy-to-use.
emfraser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-08-2003, 01:17 PM   #66 (Print)
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally posted by povertyrow
Well, right now recordable DVD is in its infancy and there are incompatabilities between the various formats.

No. Well into late puberty. There is a format that has been around, is still dominant and pervasive, and will be around until the end. I'm not going to name it, because that's flame-provoking talk, but a few minutes of searching and reading format war messages on usenet and elsewhere, and any objective person will come to the right conclusion.
Quote:
Blank dvds themselves are a lot more expensive than tape

No. You have to shop, but no. Cheap tape degrades quality and destroys heads; cheap DVD blanks may or may not last as long (who knows) but can otherwise be just fine. Read up and you will find decent blank DVDs cheaper than good tape.
Quote:
dvd burners - a lot more pricey than a 4-head hifi vcr.

True. To the extent that typical Tivo owners are reluctant to spend money on expensive electronic toys, that's a good point.
Quote:
I've been a computer engineer for 18 years and still have avoided recordable dvd because of these issues.

It's safe to come out now.
Quote:
for now VCR is really the way to go

What a refreshing viewpoint. Haven't heard that from anyone I know, for years.
Wil is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2003, 08:42 AM   #67 (Print)
RichT

dvd vs vhs

I'm sure I'll appear technically backward, but in many ways I like VHS better than the current state of DVD. VHS is easy to record to, and record over. Oddly, fast forward and rewind seem to work a whole lot better. And dvd's are very finicky: a smudge or scratch can stop them in their tracks. And on my player, at least, once you take it out of the machine to wipe it off after it's frozen. you have to start at the beginning, which makes the bad fast forward implementation a real problem.

Also, if what I am putting on tape is to be viewed once at a later date, and is being moved off the tivo because I ran out of space and just don't have the time now to watch eveyrthing, then tape ismuch cheaper than dvd because the tape can be reused many times.

When I record to dvd I don't notice any difference in quality, likely because the tv itself is a relatively low grade signal, or maybe my eyes are just not that good, so for me ignorance is bliss.

I do like that dvds take up less sotrage space than vhs, and I have a nice light portable dvd player but not a portable vhs player. I also like the arcdhival capability of dvds, though I would want to have at least a couple of copies lying around in case one gets scratched down the road.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:30 AM   #68 (Print)
DavidJ

Send a message via ICQ to DavidJ
Late as I am to this thread, and having read through it in its entirety, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth... Which coincides with many other responses.

Lets face it, many of us Tivo owners are the type that go for the latest in technologies. That doesn't mean other technologies are dead... My parents just recently decided to get cell phones, mainly out of a necessity. Guess what... they still don't have a DVD player, when they rent movies, it's a tape.

So now they're in the process of moving and building a house. For the next many months, they're without TV and will rely on VHS for their entertainment.

Mom likes her sewing and craft shows... HGTV, etc... so we sat down last week, searched for the shows she wanted and then scheduled them to be recorded. Now I have to transfer them to tape for her. Can I do a batch transfer ? NO !

Why not TiVo ? What is so difficult about batch recording. I certainly don't see any legal issues with it, if there are, I shouldn't be able to copy any shows to a VHS tape. For that matter, I shouldn't be able to save shows to the hard drive either.

It seems like I can watch TV *MY* way, as long as it fits within *YOUR* parameters.

Come on, rethink your position on this. Because when the next technology looks as good as TiVo, I'll certainly be considering it. Especially if I loose my serial port capability with Comcast as it appears to be happening in the East.

DavidJ
DavidJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-24-2003, 08:16 AM   #69 (Print)
RichT

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidJ
[BCome on, rethink your position on this. Because when the next technology looks as good as TiVo, I'll certainly be considering it.
DavidJ [/B]

Paradox: if they don't have batch save, it makes you want to switch, but it also makes it harder to switch.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:38 AM   #70 (Print)
BrettStah

Switch to what, exactly? None of the Tivo competitors that I've seen have a batch play/save option. ReplayTV, DishPVR, UltimateTV... none have it. I'd be surprised if a product with this feature wasn't eventually available, but I doubt it'd be the sole cause of tons of sales.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:53 AM   #71 (Print)
DavidJ

Send a message via ICQ to DavidJ
Here's the thing... Adding batch copy should not be a huge problem or issue for Tivo. Because technology never stands still, and a lot of people indicate its importance, it seems like a no-brainer to have it included in the next FW upgrade.

What I'm saying, is that other products on the market have an opportuntiy to do better than Tivo if Tivo doesn't listen to their customers. I like my Tivo, I like the way I can watch TV with my Tivo, but I'm not stuck on Tivo. As this technology reaches the next level of maturity I'll be considering other options.

DavidJ
DavidJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #72 (Print)
Publius

Send a message via MSN to Publius
Dear Tivo,

This is a simple software change. Do it and upload it to your valued customers now, you big cheap-o's.

Thanks!
Publius is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #73 (Print)
egk
cybertonian

Send a message via ICQ to egk Send a message via AIM to egk Send a message via Yahoo to egk
Save to DVD should not be hard to add, since the data is already in digital format. its anoying to have to save to vcr then use a dazzler (or something like it) to save to DVD.

since Tivo has branched out into the home network world, save to DVD should be the next feature to add.
egk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 AM   #74 (Print)
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally posted by egk
Save to DVD should not be hard to add, since the data is already in digital format. its anoying to have to save to vcr then use a dazzler (or something like it) to save to DVD.

since Tivo has branched out into the home network world, save to DVD should be the next feature to add.

You save to a DVD recorder with the save to VCR feature already in the Tivo. Batching takes a little hacking (I was scolded, last time I said this, that it takes a _lot_ of hacking; I guess it does, relative to sitting on your ass and doing nothing).

In either case, saving to DVD directly, without digital-analog-digital conversion (which actually is not as awful in result as it sounds), is a forbidden topic. As far as Tivo itself adding it as a feature, that's very unlikely to ever happen.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #75 (Print)
egk
cybertonian

Send a message via ICQ to egk Send a message via AIM to egk Send a message via Yahoo to egk
saving to DVD

Oh come on Wil, "forbidden topic"? Why is that? I can understand illegal things being forbidden but I am just asking for a capability that already exists in the machine, it just isn't as easy to use as it should be.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:07 PM   #76 (Print)
RichT

It might have something to do with the digital millennium act or the millennium digital act which makes digital to digital illegal I think. Then again, wouldn't that make DTV to Tivo illegal? Which means we can't talk about tivo here if we get digital cable?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:08 PM   #77 (Print)
BrettStah

Re: saving to DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by egk
Oh come on Wil, "forbidden topic"? Why is that?
Because the guy who runs this forum says so.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #78 (Print)
egk
cybertonian

RichT, if digital to digital copying was illegal, then the HMO multiviewing option would be illegal since it does a digtial copy from one tivo to another.

I guess when dvd writers become as popular as CD writers, tivo will come out with a way to save to it. That shouldn't be too long as you can get a good DVD-R for about 180$ right now, less when there is a sale.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #79 (Print)
BrettStah

Pioneer has announced a couple of models of DVD recorders with Tivo service.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:19 PM   #80 (Print)
pacific85

EGK, the home network option only works on stand alone Tivo (analog), not DirecTivos (digital). The signal recored by stand alone Tivo is analog, so allowing the stand alone Tivos to share shows is much more akin to VHS tape than DirecTivo moving the all digital bits around the house. ie, you have a "perfect" copy on the DirecTivo and an analog copy on the stand alone Tivo.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:02 PM   #81 (Print)
egk
cybertonian

While the incoming signal may be analog, the tivo is doing an a/d conversion so that when it pushes the program to the second tivo, its pushing a digital file not playing an analog signal to the second tivo. All programs on the tivo are saved in a digital format.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #82 (Print)
Subversive

There is zero reason why implementing a "batch play" would be difficult for Tivo. There is zero reason why the GUI or the documentation or support would cause a problem. These excuses are nonsense and Tivo's continued silence on the matter is inexcusable.

Why don't more people say that they would pay extra? Because this is such an obvious and basic feature that it should have been included from Day One, and so asking for more money for this is really just a way to insult people.

Why don't more people use "Save To VCR?" Because it's a stupid idea to try to make the Tivo control the VCR. I certainly never use it when I make copies on my VCR--I just play the show and hit "record" on my VCR.

And ALL that people are asking for is a way to select several shows to be played sequentially while they hit "record" on their VCRs, so that they are not required to sit around and nurse their Tivos when copying several episodes of Junkyard Wars to tape for their relative who loves it.

I really enjoy my Tivo for the most part, and I recommend it to others, but I, for one, will not be upgrading to any new models of Tivo unless they contain this feature. I might even consider moving to other DVR brands if I learn that they can reasonably replicate the Tivo experience and also provide "batch play."

So in the absence of vision and leadership from Tivo management on this issue, what is the status of any available "batch play" hacks? Do they work well? Do people like them? I'm not strong on Linux and I haven't made any modifications to my Tivo beyond hacking for space and adding a network card due to a failed modem, but maybe it is time to stop waiting for Tivo management to their job and step up to the plate myself....
Subversive is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #83 (Print)
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Subversive
what is the status of any available "batch play" hacks? Do they work well? Do people like them? I'm not strong on Linux and I haven't made any modifications to my Tivo beyond hacking for space and adding a network card due to a failed modem, but maybe it is time to stop waiting for Tivo management to their job and step up to the plate myself....

In order:

About the same as it's been, nothing new that I know about, and no reason there should be.

Yes.

Yes.

I agree.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #84 (Print)
mescv

Red face One more vote

Sure I understand that batch record to VCR would be evil in eyes of TV networks and media giants. I just can't help of thinking of a better world in which I can batch play a combination of 5 of the multitude of Spongebob Squarepants and Yu-Gi-0h! episodes that are currently on my Tivo to keep my 3 sons busy while the wife and I watch a movie ourselves. Would I pay for it? Sure, a moderate price. Would this be high on my feature list if I were trying to decide among Tivo, ReplayTV, Media Center PC, etc? Absolutely.

As it is now, I am trying to figure out some way of working it out with some kind of macro on my remote control where it would send out the play signals 30 minutes apart. It is a shame we have to try to come up with some type of work around.
mescv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-30-2003, 09:22 AM   #85 (Print)
RichT

If your only purpose is to have your sons watch five episodes of spongebob in a row, can't you just give them the remote and go to the other room to watch your movie?
Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 AM   #86 (Print)
comprev

Home Media Option & DVD Record

With the Home Media Option, the ability to transfer the TiVo files to the computer without going through the Save to VCR option ought to be added. The files should be in a format (avi or mpeg2 probably) that can be edited (i.e. delete comercials) then saved to DVD. This is legal to do (it can already be done with the Save to VCR option so their is no copyright violations if kept for your own use) and would make things much easier and quicker. I doubt that it would compete with the TiVo/DVD machines that have just been released. The folks who would use their computer probably won't use the combo machines unless the combo machines have a lot of editing tools built in.
comprev is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2003, 11:49 AM   #87 (Print)
BrettStah

Get one of the new DVD recorders from Pioneer that have the Tivo service... transfer to DVD, then edit on your computer, and burn to DVD.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:43 AM   #88 (Print)
KWandtke

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Get one of the new DVD recorders from Pioneer that have the Tivo service... transfer to DVD, then edit on your computer, and burn to DVD.

I'd love to.. the cost of those units is a little high. Also the process you're talking about requires edit & burn ability on the PC as well. For a movie or something .. that would be worth the hassle. Batch recording to VCR (or DVD) would be very handy for some applications
Example:
My wife records craft shows .. quilting, sewing, knitting .. that kind of stuff. She watches them while sewing or on the treadmill and deletes the ones she does not like .. but the list of "keepers" is growing. Sure would be nice to dump those to tape (nicer to DVD) overnight. Tape is certainly good enough quality for stuff like this. She wants to share these with the kids and keep for ref.
KWandtke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2003, 07:54 AM   #89 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
I priced the Panasonic DVD recorder/TiVo last month when looking for my first TiVo. The price being asked was $699 - I got my 40 hr series 2 TiVo for about $100 ... when the prices of the dvd recording/tivo come down to the point that a life time subscription and device are in the $400-$500 dollar range I suspect
they will sell quite well.

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #90 (Print)
BrettStah

Yep, as prices fall sales rise, and I'd imagine it'd be no different for these. However, consider the following to make sure you're comparing apples to apples:

1) How many hours does the DVD/Tivo recorder model have, versus the 40 hour?

2) How much does an equivalent model standalone Tivo cost typically?

3) How much does a standalone DVD recorder typically cost?

No need to add in the Tivo fee, since it would be the same for both...