Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #91 (Print)
avermeer

you people wear me out

same old arguments, same reasons they're not ethical.

I'm done, you guys get the last word award.

oops, i just saw, marcelval's post: hmm, let's see...
1. flawed argument, the population involved includes both subscribers and non-subscribers, separating them and applying ethics to one group versus another is incongruous. Ethics only works on the whole system, which includes the subscribers, so under your scenario, HBO would lose all current subscribers money, too sans the 40 cents. They'd go broke.
2. again, i've gone over this part. you're not paying the seller's asking price, it's a loophole. Most of you know it's a loophole because several previous posters have discussed the need to keep it quiet. Why? Because if everybody started abusing it, it would go away. you folks only want some people to abuse it so you can continue doing it without a hitch.
3. I'm sure you're a great filmaker and having a master's degree is wonderful, but moral philosophy can be challenging - even 200-level concepts like these. People just aren't accustomed to thinking about these kinds of things. They think "I'm not lying, stealing, killing or cheating on my wife, so I'm a good person. How dare he have an opinion that this is unethical! That's saying that I'm bad! Grrrrr!" Message boards are probably not the best place for discussions where open mindedness and understanding of subtle nuance are prerequisite.

So, for anyone else that wants to get the last word in on these ideas, I'm not going to respond. Go for it. Just assume I followed up with "no, you're wrong..." and then some other crap that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by avermeer : 03-13-2004 at 03:16 PM.
avermeer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #92 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
Originally posted by avermeer
Message boards are probably not the best place for discussions where open mindedness and understanding of subtle nuance are prerequisite.

Nor are they the place for condescension and name-calling guised as 'enlightened opinion.'

Old 03-13-2004, 03:28 PM   #93 (Print)
transpizzle
Fauxmosexual

as long as they allow it, do it.
if they dont want people doing it anymore, they will put a stop to it. plain as that. i did it for the lafew eps of sex and city for a family member. we had gotten free hbo for 3 months, then it got shut off. so we had hbo turned on on the website for a few days. it ended up being 7 and some change.
transpizzle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #94 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: you people wear me out

Quote:

2. again, i've gone over this part. you're not paying the seller's asking price, it's a loophole. Most of you know it's a loophole because several previous posters have discussed the need to keep it quiet. Why? Because if everybody started abusing it, it would go away. you folks only want some people to abuse it so you can continue doing it without a hitch.

This is where you are incorrect. You ARE paying the seller's asking price. the price is $ .40 per day. Just because they say $12 per month in the ads does not make the price any different. It is not a loophole it is exactly how DirecTV set it up and wants it. If they didn't they would change it. As for people trying to keep it quiet, I am not. Just because a few people think we are getting away with something doesn't make it true. Again it is not unethical, end of argument. Oh and quit being so condescending it is obnoxious and makes you seem like a jerk.
bigpuma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #95 (Print)
paul_albinoni

Long time reader, first time poster...

Is there a way to automate the turning on/off HBO or other premium services? Hosted service, or a program? If not, do you think such a thing would be useful?
paul_albinoni is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #96 (Print)
Bob TeaTow
Advanced TivoNut

Paul, you could write a script to screen/html scrape the directv.com website?

Anyone know of any web tools that do this sort of thing?
Bob TeaTow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #97 (Print)
whatever
Tivo is Life.

Re: Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpuma
This is where you are incorrect. You ARE paying the seller's asking price. the price is $ .40 per day. Just because they say $12 per month in the ads does not make the price any different. It is not a loophole it is exactly how DirecTV set it up and wants it. If they didn't they would change it. As for people trying to keep it quiet, I am not. Just because a few people think we are getting away with something doesn't make it true. Again it is not unethical, end of argument.
This is where you are incorrect. NOWHERE on the DirecTV website do they say that that the asking price for the first premium package is $0.40 a day. It is distinctly listed as $12 a month. From what I can tell, DirecTV doesn't allow phone in changes like this without incurring an additional charge. However, the web interface does. It sounds like poor programming practices rather than a conscious decision to benefit web users. That qualifies as a loophole in my book.

Something I was told as a young child comes to mind. "Just because you can do something doesn't make it right".
Quote:
Oh and quit being so condescending it is obnoxious and makes you seem like a jerk.
I think you need to re-think this statement. Stop reading your emotions into an educated and reasoned argument.

-Jim
whatever is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM   #98 (Print)
BrettStah

Jim/whatever, the web site doesn't have surcharges because the changes made there do not require a human being. Changes via phone will often require a surcharge to offset the costs of the support personnel.

Looking back at my past bills, it looks like that I average 7-8 days a month with HBO and Showtime (I almost always turn both of them on and off at the same time). That works out to 84-96 days a year for each of them, or 2.5 to 3+ months each. I just don't get those 2.5 to 3+ months consecutively. I still am failing to see how anyone is getting screwed over. HBO and Showtime (and DirecTV) are getting money from me that's exactly equivalent to me signing up for approximately 3 months of service for those 2 premium packages. I watch the shows that I want to watch from those channels, which covers 2.5-3 months of the year. Is there any difference between what I'm doing compared to if I turned those channels on for January, February, and March? I'd like to know what those differences are...

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #99 (Print)
whatever
Tivo is Life.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Jim/whatever, the web site doesn't have surcharges because the changes made there do not require a human being. Changes via phone will often require a surcharge to offset the costs of the support personnel.
What you are saying in effect is that it doesn't cost anything to run the website (after initial setup). That is incorrect. A site like the DirecTV site takes myriad support personnel (web designers, programmers, sys admins, etc.) as well as a huge investment into hardware. While it is most likely LESS expensive than the phone support personnel, there still is a cost. I'll still stand by my contention that the only reason it is still happening is because of poor programming practices by the web developers.
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Looking back at my past bills, it looks like that I average 7-8 days a month with HBO and Showtime (I almost always turn both of them on and off at the same time). That works out to 84-96 days a year for each of them, or 2.5 to 3+ months each. I just don't get those 2.5 to 3+ months consecutively. I still am failing to see how anyone is getting screwed over. HBO and Showtime (and DirecTV) are getting money from me that's exactly equivalent to me signing up for approximately 3 months of service for those 2 premium packages. I watch the shows that I want to watch from those channels, which covers 2.5-3 months of the year. Is there any difference between what I'm doing compared to if I turned those channels on for January, February, and March? I'd like to know what those differences are...

I'm not saying that you are not paying for the programming you are viewing. I'm not privy to the details of the DTV-HBO agreement. However, DTV has a contract with each of its customers that says it costs 12 bucks a month for for the additional first premium package. IF they decide to prorate their services, then that is their prerogative. I know the Dish Network does not.

How is it different than if you just turned it on for three months? Ask yourself this. Since you watch just certain shows for a total of 2-3 months a year, why not ask DirecTV if they will turn on your HBO and Showtime service for ONLY that time which you will need to watch at record your favorites. Tell them you would be willing to pay the appropriate amount (2-3 months of fees) for those shows only. My bet is they would say "No way Jose".

You are in effect getting what we all really want. A la carte television programming. You are just taking advantage of a poorly designed/programmed/implemented website (the loophole) to do it. That's all.

-Jim
Old 03-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #100 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: Re: Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever

I think you need to re-think this statement. Stop reading your emotions into an educated and reasoned argument.

-Jim

What emotions, do you believe I get upset at something someone writes on a message board? I don't. I was just stating an opinion, and I am not the only one who came to the conclusion that certain statements made by avermeer were condescending. For example this one:

"I suppose I could discuss Nicomacean ethics with you, but its a far less simple model and I can already sense the tilted heads and furrowed brows out there."
Old 03-22-2004, 07:32 PM   #101 (Print)
BrettStah

Quote:
What you are saying in effect is that it doesn't cost anything to run the website (after initial setup). That is incorrect. A site like the DirecTV site takes myriad support personnel (web designers, programmers, sys admins, etc.) as well as a huge investment into hardware. While it is most likely LESS expensive than the phone support personnel, there still is a cost. I'll still stand by my contention that the only reason it is still happening is because of poor programming practices by the web developers.
I disagree. If you call and add/remove HBO, etc. from your account, the charges are also prorated. You are just also liable for a surcharge for using the phone versus the website. So the website and phone-based changes are identical, except for the phone surcharge.
Quote:
I'm not saying that you are not paying for the programming you are viewing. I'm not privy to the details of the DTV-HBO agreement. However, DTV has a contract with each of its customers that says it costs 12 bucks a month for for the additional first premium package. IF they decide to prorate their services, then that is their prerogative. I know the Dish Network does not.
Yes, they obviously have decided to prorate their services (via phone or website)... too bad for Dish Network customers I guess.
Quote:
How is it different than if you just turned it on for three months? Ask yourself this. Since you watch just certain shows for a total of 2-3 months a year, why not ask DirecTV if they will turn on your HBO and Showtime service for ONLY that time which you will need to watch at record your favorites. Tell them you would be willing to pay the appropriate amount (2-3 months of fees) for those shows only. My bet is they would say "No way Jose".
I thought that's what I was doing... turning on HBO and Showtime for the days that I want to record stuff. HBO and Showtime (and DirecTV) get paid the same amount regardless if those days are consecutive or not. And if they did away with the prorated billing I would not be an HBO or Showtime subscriber at all, or at a maximum maybe for one month a year when I would see that they were airing all episodes of a series I wanted to watch.
Quote:
You are in effect getting what we all really want. A la carte television programming. You are just taking advantage of a poorly designed/programmed/implemented website (the loophole) to do it. That's all.
I completely disagree, as stated above. The website is designed properly to prorate the charges. The surcharge applied to phone-based changes just don't apply.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 AM   #102 (Print)
cybrsprite

Send a message via Yahoo to cybrsprite
Just for the record dtv does not charge upgrade or down grade fees, they charge the 5 dollar fee to make payments over the phone, or order movies mainly to encourage people to use the automated phone service or the website.
And I agree that seems like a lot of work for a little bit of HBO

Old 03-23-2004, 08:08 AM   #103 (Print)
beanpoppa

Re: Re: Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
This is where you are incorrect. NOWHERE on the DirecTV website do they say that that the asking price for the first premium package is $0.40 a day. It is distinctly listed as $12 a month. From what I can tell, DirecTV doesn't allow phone in changes like this without incurring an additional charge. However, the web interface does. It sounds like poor programming practices rather than a conscious decision to benefit web users. That qualifies as a loophole in my book.

-Jim

When you buy groceries, and the sign says "4 for $1" do you buy 4? Is it unethical to buy one at 25 cents? If the price is for a minimum of 4, then they say "Must buy 4", otherwise, you can buy 1, 2 or 5 for 25 cents each.

DirecTV is charging $12/30 days. If that's a package deal, where I must buy a minimum of 30 days to get that rate, their system would enforce it as such. Since it's been allowed now for so long, I have to surmise that $12/30 days=40 cents/day.

-- ReplayTV 5040 w/lifetime - on hiatus
beanpoppa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:54 AM   #104 (Print)
Marco
Sua Sponte

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I repeat somebody else.

I don't do this because I don't want to invest the time, but if DirecTV allows programming changes on-line for no fee, that must be because it costs them basically zero to switch a few bits in their computers.

I'm absolutely certain that DirecTV is aware of this behavior -- they must have thousands of customers who do it. Given that they are aware, if they wanted to discourage or eliminate it, they could institute a charge for the change, or a minimum billing period for a premium channel.

I'm quite confident in guessing that their bean-counters have determined that they make more money allowing this than not, figuring that customers would simply forego HBO etc. altogether if they had to buy a full month at a time.

Note that they are already doing this with the Playboy channel - you can buy a month for $16 but if you want, what is it, 3 hours it'll still cost you $10?

Mad thunder points to Marco. -- IndyJones1023
TC Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2005-06
Marco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #105 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
"I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I repeat somebody else.

I don't do this because I don't want to invest the time, but... with the Playboy channel - you can buy a month for $16 but if you want, what is it, 3 hours it'll still cost you $10?"
Well, we can see why you're too busy to read.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #106 (Print)
Marco
Sua Sponte

Quote:
Originally posted by willardcpa
Well, we can see why you're too busy to read.

Of course I read. I buy it for the articles.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #107 (Print)
whatever
Tivo is Life.

Re: Re: Re: Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
What emotions, do you believe I get upset at something someone writes on a message board? I don't. I was just stating an opinion, and I am not the only one who came to the conclusion that certain statements made by avermeer were condescending. For example this one:

"I suppose I could discuss Nicomacean ethics with you, but its a far less simple model and I can already sense the tilted heads and furrowed brows out there."
You called avermeer a jerk. A condescending jerk. I can understand the condescending part. I would classify calling someone a jerk an emotional response. So it does appear that you got upset at something somebody wrote on a message board. In my opinion that would classify as flame bait, which is disallowed on these boards.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you on the condescending part.

-Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 PM   #108 (Print)
wmcbrine
Craziness!

Quote:
What you are saying in effect is that it doesn't cost anything to run the website (after initial setup). That is incorrect. A site like the DirecTV site takes myriad support personnel (web designers, programmers, sys admins, etc.) as well as a huge investment into hardware.
What? Rubbish. It takes a handful of people, not a myriad, and the investment is tiny by DirecTV's standards.
wmcbrine is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #109 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you people wear me out

Quote:
You called avermeer a jerk. A condescending jerk. I can understand the condescending part. I would classify calling someone a jerk an emotional response. So it does appear that you got upset at something somebody wrote on a message board. In my opinion that would classify as flame bait, which is disallowed on these boards.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you on the condescending part.

-Jim

perhaps you are right, although I wasn't calling him a jerk, I just said it made him seem like a jerk. I was referring to some of his statements. I don't really know the guy so I can't really determine one way or another.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #110 (Print)
scottiegazelle

Re: I'm sure they'd rather have the whole $12

Quote:
because if everyone did it, they'd go broke. That's what makes it unethical. If the results are catastrophic

Okay, sorry, this one bugged me.
Let me take the grocery analogy one step further. I am what might be called a "coupon queen"; I shop for sales. Most of the items I buy are free after coupons. For instance, I just bought 75 boxes of Totinos (big freezer, hubbie loves 'em, etc). They cost me nothing but sales tax. Does that mean I'm wrong? After all, if *everyone* shopped like I did, the manufacturers who reimburse the stoes would go broke because most people would save 75%+ on their groceries.

I'm not wrong because I'm smarter than 99% of the world when it comes to my shopping. Manufactuerers put out coupons for people to use. Most folks don't; some do but very few - maybe 1% - use them the way I do.

So what does this have to do with HBO, you ask? Well, the *superior intellegences* here will catch the drift. Just like grocery stores don't advertise "hey, come buy our Totinos, they are free with the coupon!" but instead say 2/$2, HBO doesn't say "grab it up for .40/day". The earlier 4/$1 analogy was, I think, right on target.

Never do I say "I will subscribe for one full month to HBO, 30 days (or 28)." Therefore I am not going back on my word, lying, or being deceitful.

Does DirecTv know? I thought they frequent the boards. Even if they never caught on to the little "John Doe subscribes to HBO 4 days a month", surely they would see the posts that have floated here for, what, 3 years? As said earlier, the easiest way to fix it is to impose a surcharge, or make a limited length.

(One thing I have to wonder, though; those of you doing HBO-by-the-day, are you still able to get good retention deals? I guess you don't need them, LOL)

Saying that folks who are doing something permited by D* are unethical is like saying smart grocery shoppers, people who haggle about car prices, and folks who only buy "sale" items without getting sucked into the "munch" aisle are unethical. TOTALLY off base.

(and fyi, I don't HBO-by-the-day)
scottiegazelle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2004, 01:53 AM   #111 (Print)
avermeer

Whoops, said I wasn't coming back, but...

This was just too interesting of an argument, and I have to admit, you have a well reasoned argument here, too, scottie.

However, earlier in the posts I talked about different business models, and coupons, haggling and sale items don't really fit this argument. Why? This isn't a sale, coupon, or haggling. This is a backdoor. Sales are managed by time and item selection, coupons are managed by time , item selection and numbers, haggling is managed by the salesman knowing what his margins are and what his profit has to be. Coupons and sales are advertised ways to draw you in (coupons ARE advertisements), they take on the risk and they plan for people like you.

This is not an advertised offer by a premium channel or DirecTV. Nobody went and talked to a salesman to try to get the service at 40 cents a day.
The 4 for $1 argument doesn't fit either because a month of HBO is a single item. And to take that a step further, these people are essentially opening a can of peaches, taking half a peach, paying for its weight and saying "What's the problem, I paid for what I took? The manufacturer is glad because if I had to buy the whole can, I wouldn't buy it at all and they're at least getting a little money from me that way." The problem is that the manufacturer intends the can to be the smallest unit purchased and the store is allowing it because there's a glitch in the self-serve scanner. The store is not sure how to fix the glitch exactly, and frankly, they don't want to alienate their customers because they buy a lot of milk and bread and cheese. But the manufacturer of the canned peaches is getting screwed because he's not set up to sell bulk peaches and he thought putting them in a can was pretty self-explanatory.

Put another way, the grocery store is selling 12 packs of Coke for $3. Some customers are pulling out single cans and self-scanning them at a price of 1/12th of $3. Another glitch in the scanner as the store displays only 12 packs of soda and doesn't have the single serve dispenser. If they did have the single serve dispenser, they would sell at 79 cents, but these customers are getting them at 25 cents. The customer is creating his own pricing structure through a loophole. The store didn't advertise it, they didn't intend it, the cans even say "not marked for individual sale" because the manufacturer intended to sell them as units of 12. But only a few customers are doing it, so there's not a rush to fix the problem.

So would you say that these few customers are ethical? Remember, I didn't say they were breaking any law.

By the way, why don't you do HBO or other premiums by the day?
avermeer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #112 (Print)
BrettStah

avermeer, the flaw in your argument is that this isn't a glitch... DirecTV prorates the charges, whether you make your changes via phone by speaking with a human or make them via the website.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #113 (Print)
Marco
Sua Sponte

Re: Whoops, said I wasn't coming back, but...

Quote:
Put another way, the grocery store is selling 12 packs of Coke for $3. Some customers are pulling out single cans and self-scanning them at a price of 1/12th of $3. Another glitch in the scanner as the store displays only 12 packs of soda and doesn't have the single serve dispenser. If they did have the single serve dispenser, they would sell at 79 cents, but these customers are getting them at 25 cents. The customer is creating his own pricing structure through a loophole. The store didn't advertise it, they didn't intend it, the cans even say "not marked for individual sale" because the manufacturer intended to sell them as units of 12. But only a few customers are doing it, so there's not a rush to fix the problem.

So would you say that these few customers are ethical? Remember, I didn't say they were breaking any law.

HBO is intended to be sold by the month ... according to YOU. Apparently not according to DirecTV, who prorates. Apparently not according to HBO either ... because I'm CONFIDENT that their contract with DirecTV could have specified this, in which case DirecTV would definitely not be willing to sell one day of HBO for 40 cents.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:01 AM   #114 (Print)
scottiegazelle

Re: Whoops, said I wasn't coming back, but...

Quote:
By the way, why don't you do HBO or other premiums by the day?

I'm still riding my "free HBO" for signing up with D* and my "free Showtime" for installer problems. My Tivo is all full up, and I'm watching *way* more TV than I was pre-tivo, so I may not HBO by the hour simply because I need to get out from in front of the boob tube. So it's not moral, just practical.

My point was to let you know I wasn't "self-justifying", that even though I don't practice it, I still disagree with you.

Your peach arguement is good, too, but I have to wonder this: if the store put a can opener by the peaches AND rang you up, wouldn't that imply that they knew about the problem and were even, to some degree, encouraging it?

Back out of the grocery store: I think the long & short is that D* knows and permits this to go on. Therefore, they don't have a problem with it, so it's not a problem. As said, if they had a problem, they'd correct it quick and easy.
scottiegazelle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2004, 12:21 PM   #115 (Print)
JohnTivo

Re: Re: Whoops, said I wasn't coming back, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco
HBO is intended to be sold by the month ... according to YOU. Apparently not according to DirecTV, who prorates. Apparently not according to HBO either ... because I'm CONFIDENT that their contract with DirecTV could have specified this, in which case DirecTV would definitely not be willing to sell one day of HBO for 40 cents.

My feeling is that the ability to prorate the monthly charge is to benefit the subscriber who adds the package in the middle of a monthly billing cycle. Not so a person can add and delete the package at will.

Regarding the contract, I tend to agree that it probably allows for the daily tabulation of charges and subscribers... for allowance of subscribers who add or delete the package mid billing cycle.

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
JohnTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #116 (Print)
JohnTivo

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco

I'm absolutely certain that DirecTV is aware of this behavior -- they must have thousands of customers who do it. Given that they are aware, if they wanted to discourage or eliminate it, they could institute a charge for the change, or a minimum billing period for a premium channel.

I'm quite confident in guessing that their bean-counters have determined that they make more money allowing this than not, figuring that customers would simply forego HBO etc. altogether if they had to buy a full month at a time.

Again, I tend to agree with you here. D* is probably aware of the issue. They've also probably decided they are making more money at this point by allowing this.

IMO, as long as this activity is only practiced by a very small percentage of their subscribers, they will continue to allow it.

At some point though, they would lose money if this was widely practiced... Since I don't have numbers for HBO subscribers on D*, I can't run any models to back up that statement... so to clarify, it is only an opinion.

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
Old 03-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #117 (Print)
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo
Again, I tend to agree with you here. D* is probably aware of the issue. They've also probably decided they are making more money at this point by allowing this.

Exactly, they set up the rules to benefit them. This is the way they have it set up now because that is how they want it. I don't see how this can in any way be seen as unethical. If everyone started doing this and DirecTV started to lose money they would quickly change the rules. If this is how DirecTV wants it then it is perfectly ethical and they are glad to have people signing up for a day at a time.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:17 PM   #118 (Print)
JohnTivo

Quote:
Exactly, they set up the rules to benefit them. This is the way they have it set up now because that is how they want it. I don't see how this can in any way be seen as unethical. If everyone started doing this and DirecTV started to lose money they would quickly change the rules. If this is how DirecTV wants it then it is perfectly ethical and they are glad to have people signing up for a day at a time.

I still do not believe D* sat down and said, "Lets create the system so our subscribers can add and delete our premium packages at will to circumvent our monthly charge." But who knows, maybe they did.

Frankly, I have no desire to jump into the "ethical" nature of the discussion...

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
Old 03-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #119 (Print)
SpankWare

Here's the problem with the peaches. I don't know of any grocery store that will let me open up a can of peaches and just take what I want. If I attempt to do so I am told that I must purchase the entire can. Same thing goes with a 12 pack of coke. They won't let me break that up either. Of course, I'm sure I could find a grocery that would let me split it into 2 six packs should I desire. DirecTV on the other hand allows me to purchase a single day of HBO. At no point am I not allowed to do it, or told not to do it. They complete the transaction as requested. As such they allow that transaction.

This is the crux of the argument. By allowing me to do so by processing my transaction I am not doing anything wrong. Same goes for peaches. If the grocery store allows me to buy one peach slice from the can then that is allowed and I'm not doing anything wrong. Both the grocery and DirecTV are free to change their mind at any point they desire. Also of note is that any agreements between HBO and DirecTV are completely unrelated to me. My business is with DirecTV and at no point do I directly do business with HBO. So any agreement between HBO and DirecTV is not my concern because I am not a party to that agreement. Same thing goes with Dole/Del Monte/Whomever and the Grocery Store. I don't care what their agreement is and it does not affect me. If the grocery store wants to sell me a peach slice at a time, that's their business with me.

There's no loophole here. I'm not creating my own pricing structure (because I can't determine how DirecTV does business. If they offer product X a certain way, then it's available a certain way.). Oh, and the last time I checked I didn't see anything anywhere from DirecTV or HBO indicating that this programming could NOT be sold on a daily, weekly, annual or any other time period based basis. Before anybody insists that HBO and/or DirecTV has no intentions of this being acceptable, they should verify it with both parties. Until HBO starts labeling their programming "not to be sold on a daily basis" or DirecTV starts putting a limit on the minimum subscription time this activity is legal, ethical and quite kosher.

DISCLAIMER: As a platinum sub I do not participate in this activity.

(1) Hughes SD-DVR40 (soon-to-be modified)
SpankWare is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #120 (Print)
whatever
Tivo is Life.

Quote:
Originally posted by wmcbrine
What? Rubbish. It takes a handful of people, not a myriad, and the investment is tiny by DirecTV's standards.
While I do not work for DirecTV, I have worked as a programmer for a website that is comparable in size and scope of the DirecTV site. It was anything but a handful of people, and the investment was sizable. I'll agree that the DirecTV investment is probably not huge (compared to DTV's other capitol investments), but it still is there. I would think it would be safe to say that DirecTV didn't reduce the number of phone rep's it has once it's website went live.

-Jim