TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Are you helping team TIVO?
Yes - I'm crunching right now! 89 18.54%
Not yet, but I'm on my way to check it out and sign up 77 16.04%
No - I'm running another distributed computing project (seti, folding@home, etc) 151 31.46%
No - I don't have interest in these sort of things 163 33.96%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2002, 10:41 AM   #1 (Print)
PAP

The TIVO Team needs your help!

Edit: 4/6/2003 - I updated the link below to join. Our team stats have greatly improved since I posted this in June of 2002 - please keep joining up for the cause.

Edit 4/23/2004 - We've shot WAY up in the last year. Special thanks to both our "heavy hitters" and all plugging away with a single PC. New readers - please take the time to read and consider joining this worthy project. God bless.

Edit 5/14/2005 - We're up again this last year - #11 currently and today we were #6 in overall output. Kudos to -ALL- our members who care enough to crunch for the cure. New readers - as always please consider joining up. It's simple to do and I've been running this software for years now on multiple machines and NEVER had a problem with it. Very very stable. Go team Tivo.

Original (6/2002) message below:

-----------------------
The UD Cancer project Tivo team is falling due to members no longer crunching data. We are dropping down in the stats.

Being high on the leaderboard not only helps work against cancer but also is good publicity for TIVO - both of which are great for all of us.

-PLEASE- consider running the UD cancer client - it takes almost no resources, is incredibly stable, and if teamed with udmonitor is seamless even for those of you (like me) who have a dialup connection (it will automatically dial up and send results if you wish).

Help cure cancer and promote TIVO, all using the spare power of your computer which would otherwise go to waste. Please join!

Link to Team TIVO - United Devices Cure for Cancer project - if you need to download the software, go either to the bottom of the page above and click on the download link, or go here.

Last edited by PAP : 05-14-2005 at 10:11 AM.
PAP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 11:20 AM   #2 (Print)
robricc

Just changed teams!
robricc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #3 (Print)
PAP

Great - and i forgot to mention, if anyone has any problems or questions, please feel free to private mail me (or post here), the UD user forums are also great.

Regards.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:56 AM   #4 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Are we really dropping? It doesn't look that way to me from the results stats. I don't know how many teams there are, but we're still #35-#37 in the results/points/CPU time listing. Looking at the graphs and charts of results over time, we seem to be pretty consistent. Maybe other teams are doing more, though - I don't know.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:17 PM   #5 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

The last link you posted didn't work for me. I'm trying it now, and will attempt to join if possible.

--nope, still doesn't work for me .

-Mike

Old 06-03-2002, 12:27 PM   #6 (Print)
DrStrange

This seems exactly the sort of didn't-really-need-to-be-a-poll poll that David was complaining about.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 01:58 PM   #7 (Print)
PAP

Link is working for me... if that doesn't work try www.ud.com and go into the cancer project - you can join the tivo team later.

If you look at last 24 hour data we have been dropping - we are still stable overall, but we are losing ground and have dropped from 35th to 37th.

As for the poll, I wasn't aware there was a problem with posting them. I apologize if it is a problem - I wasn't aware.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #8 (Print)
pin87a

I'd love to help, but I'm already folding proteins...
pin87a is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 06:28 PM   #9 (Print)
FourOhFour
HTTP Error

I'd love to help, but I really hate the sound of my computer's overheat alarm...

Old 06-03-2002, 06:38 PM   #10 (Print)
PAP

I'm running this on 5 separate computers, everything from an old 500mhz P3 to a dual P4 Xeon system with multiple 15,000 RPM SCSI drives - none have ever shown significant temperature rises, much less "overheat." That kind of statement is just not accurate, unless you have a substandard PC with no cooling whatsoever.

-----

BTW, a correction to my initial post - I'm using UDdialup not UDmonitor. The former allows automatic dialup over a 56K modem when needed, the later allows for storing multiple workunits offline. I forgot which one I was using.

I had initially installed UD cancer project a year or so ago, and got discouraged that it would finish a work unit, and then sit around doing nothing for a day or whenever I got on the computer again. With UD dialup, this is all done automatically - the modem dials when it needs to. You can of course set this to certain times if you don't want the program dialing at a certain time of the day.

Anyway, again I'm hoping we'll get some folks to sign up on our team. I just love the idea that my computer is doing good for society when otherwise it would just be sitting on the desk doing nothing at all. It's a good deed for every day of the week
Old 06-03-2002, 06:40 PM   #11 (Print)
jfitzpa503
Oregon State Univ.

Send a message via AIM to jfitzpa503 Send a message via Yahoo to jfitzpa503
You need an option which needs to say "Never heard of it before".

TIVO Series 2
40 Hours
No Home Media Option
Lifetime Services
jfitzpa503 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 06:44 PM   #12 (Print)
PAP

That's supposed to be option #2
Old 06-03-2002, 06:47 PM   #13 (Print)
jfitzpa503
Oregon State Univ.

Send a message via AIM to jfitzpa503 Send a message via Yahoo to jfitzpa503
Ops, I missed that. You better change my vote from #4 to #2.

TIVO Series 2
40 Hours
No Home Media Option
Lifetime Services
jfitzpa503 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2002, 07:24 PM   #14 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

I definitely measured a temperature rise with my Athlon system running UD, or anything that has the CPU cranking at 100%. Well within limits, but a good 5 or 6 degrees C higher than at idle.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:48 PM   #15 (Print)
Guyy

My machine (P3/667) runs about 15f degrees hotter when UD is on. But I'm still in the safe zone so no big deal.

I never knew the Tivo team was so far up there! Ranking in the top 30s..

Old 06-03-2002, 11:38 PM   #16 (Print)
vertigo235

I've been running on the easynews team collecting free gigs, but I've got about 35 saved up now I guess I could change to tivo for a while.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:21 AM   #17 (Print)
ADent

You need another option - Would like to run, but my computer is not supported.

When the Mac version comes out (unlikely with Intel a co-sponsor) my CPU cycles will be there.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 02:37 PM   #18 (Print)
drmcm

Yep, I've been running UD of several machines for over a year. I like the whole idea, although it's a little hard to see how this is going to make a big impact scientifically. Still, it's worth my extra CPU cycles to me. Having had cancer in my family, even a long shot at a cure is worth a try!
-Mike
drmcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 02:54 PM   #19 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Actually I've been a member of ud for over a year, have almost 85K points. I'll try it again.

[edit] You have successfully joined this team.

I'm now a Team TIVO member!
-Mike

Last edited by marrone : 06-04-2002 at 02:59 PM.
marrone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 04:47 PM   #20 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
What do the points do? Do you (or charity) get anything by accumulating them?
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 05:07 PM   #21 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
What do the points do? Do you (or charity) get anything by accumulating them?

They are good for the ego said the id.

Seriously, at one point UD was giving out cash prizes based on points accumulated. Today they do not. There was also a promotion that I believe benefited the Make A Wish foundation but I believe that has lapsed as well. Points are simply one of the measures of contribution to the project.

-John
JohnJr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 05:54 PM   #22 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnJr
Points are simply one of the measures of contribution to the project.

-John

Ahh. Sort of like the post count here. Well, the search for intelligent life can wait. Curing cancer is more important.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 06:21 PM   #23 (Print)
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

I just switched from hardocp's team to TiVo's team.
GoldenTiger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 06:46 PM   #24 (Print)
emory
TiVo Gave Up

Send a message via AIM to emory
i'm assuming they have openbsd, solaris, freebsd cilents. will have to check it out.

i haven't found anything even interesting with seti@home anyway.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:48 PM   #25 (Print)
emory
TiVo Gave Up

Send a message via AIM to emory
turns out they don't.

i'll stick to seti@home i guess.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:52 PM   #26 (Print)
FourOhFour
HTTP Error

Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
I'm running this on 5 separate computers, everything from an old 500mhz P3 to a dual P4 Xeon system with multiple 15,000 RPM SCSI drives - none have ever shown significant temperature rises, much less "overheat." That kind of statement is just not accurate, unless you have a substandard PC with no cooling whatsoever.

Well, you are right, I havn't gotten an overheat alarm on my computer. Well, I did, but I had the alarm set too low by accident.

However, I don't know how the Windows based clients work, but the Linux based ones (at least for seti@home, and most likely everything else) run as a low priority task - so basically, the computer runs at 100% usage all the time. It's no less responsive to the user, as it's running at a low priority, but it still takes all the otherwise idle CPU time. I can notice a heat rise with a pegged CPU over an idle one. I would suspect the Windows clients run similarly.

Also, I sleep (or in Linux, shut down... I'm going to have to get power management working) the computer when I'm not using it. Running one of the standard spare cpu cycle clients wouldn't get much done as my cpu isn't on most of the time.

So, no, I don't mean to scare anyone off from running such a client.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:48 PM   #27 (Print)
Bitz69

Send a message via ICQ to Bitz69
Re: The TIVO Team needs your help!

Quote:
Originally posted by PAP
The UD Cancer project Tivo team is falling due to members no longer crunching data. We are dropping down in the stats.

Being high on the leaderboard not only helps work against cancer but also is good publicity for TIVO - both of which are great for all of us.

-PLEASE- consider running the UD cancer client - it takes almost no resources, is incredibly stable, and if teamed with udmonitor is seamless even for those of you (like me) who have a dialup connection (it will automatically dial up and send results if you wish).

Help cure cancer and promote TIVO, all using the spare power of your computer which would otherwise go to waste. Please join!

http://members.ud.com/services/team...42-DC755FDBB7AA

Well to be honest, I don't run the program becuase it won't use both my CPU's and was unstable under win2k, havnt tried it under XP but like I said, it's a single processor program, RC5 client can use both CPU's properlly :

Old 06-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #28 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Bitz,

It's unconscienable that they can't write decent multi-threaded code. I agree. But just think what will happen to your points when they release a multi-threaded app.

Hop in, it's not that cold!

-John

PS. last I heard was that multi-processor was in beta.
JohnJr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #29 (Print)
PAP

Actually there are a number of people who have posted running two sessions under XP using multi user logons to avail themselves of multiprocessors. Agree it's sad they don't do dual CPUs given I'm sitting on two xeons running as I type this. Also sad they don't do solaris, mac, unix, linux, etc, but for me it works.

I've not ever had a single problem and I'm running w2k with dual processors - unstable not a bit. Keep in mind you can also run seti or whatever else you want on one CPU and UD on the other - just set affinity settings.

Glad to see some of you coming on board! Every bit helps. Remember, it's a good deed every day.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:13 PM   #30 (Print)
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Seti@home is WORTHLESS! Which would you rather be doing:

A) Searching for faint signals that could just be faint, mistaken traces of random things or even sent by us by accident and has no effect even if we did find anything.

B) Testing drug reactions with test particles which can be put into cancer-stopping medicines within a year if something is found and has already helped with a couple of medicines.

C) Helping to crack a computer code that may help increase security among corporations and medical areas, reducing financial loss to businesses and thus helping them survive, while enhancing trust in encryption technology and online safety among the general public.

Tell me, which one sounds pretty dumb, and which two sound pretty good? I think the answer is obvious . There *ARE* linux clients for it. Look on the forums, I'm positive I saw one awhile back. So what if it can't use both processors? It's still better than running Seti!
GoldenTiger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post