TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Are you helping team TIVO?
Yes - I'm crunching right now! 89 18.54%
Not yet, but I'm on my way to check it out and sign up 77 16.04%
No - I'm running another distributed computing project (seti, folding@home, etc) 151 31.46%
No - I don't have interest in these sort of things 163 33.96%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #61 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Pap, and or anyone...

Has anyone emailed martin to see if he will give up the password or whatever?

-John
JohnJr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #62 (Print)
Avian
If you only knew...

Send a message via AIM to Avian
Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenTiger
Seti@home is WORTHLESS! Which would you rather be doing:

A) Searching for faint signals that could just be faint, mistaken traces of random things or even sent by us by accident and has no effect even if we did find anything.

B) Testing drug reactions with test particles which can be put into cancer-stopping medicines within a year if something is found and has already helped with a couple of medicines. And also helping make a company rich in the process by using your machine to do research for them so they can sell it to the highest bidder

C) Helping to crack a computer code that may help increase security among corporations and medical areas, reducing financial loss to businesses and thus helping them survive, while enhancing trust in encryption technology and online safety among the general public.

Tell me, which one sounds pretty dumb, and which two sound pretty good? I think the answer is obvious . There *ARE* linux clients for it. Look on the forums, I'm positive I saw one awhile back. So what if it can't use both processors? It's still better than running Seti!

Hrmm.. I don't know..

I'll have to watch my tone for fear of having to feel judged.

Blog
LJ)
Avian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #63 (Print)
logic88

I run UD on about six of my machines but since they only support Windows and won't run as a service, I won't install it on any other machines. I'm running dnet on everything else. Also am on the Easynews team since they give trade bandwidth for CPU time. Sorry.
logic88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM   #64 (Print)
PAP

JohnJr - Do you have an email address for him? Sadly it looks as though he's no longer around - his last workunit was submitted 06/21/2001 - almost a year ago.

I think it would be a great idea to elect a new captain, if we can contact him somehow.
PAP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #65 (Print)
PAP

By the way - for all you new members, the UD service has been updating software and therefore there have been lots of "unable to connect to server...backing off" messages in the last few days.

Don't give up - this always happens for a week or so after an upgrade. Hang in there and it will get back to normal soon. And thanks to all that have joined up so far!

If you haven't joined - support the TIVO team and click the link in my first message on page 1 of this thread.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:56 AM   #66 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Quote:
And also helping make a company rich in the process by using your machine to do research for them so they can sell it to the highest bidder
I think if someone cures cancer (or signficiantly helps reach that goal), they deserve to be rich. Much more so than actors and basketball stars, as far as I'm concerned. You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but I'd kindly ask that you place it outside of someone else's quotation box next time

-- Rob
DJRobX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-23-2002, 07:56 AM   #67 (Print)
pschum

Send a message via ICQ to pschum Send a message via AIM to pschum
Just got the client started on my only Wintel machine that runs 24/7 at home (I prefer Macs) and joined Team TiVo.

Old 06-25-2002, 05:52 PM   #68 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

PAP,

I don't have martinwh's email addy. At one point I may have as I received a prize from him once, but I can't find it now. I did however send him a PM about relinquishing Captainship, and I cc: you.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #69 (Print)
drmcm

I'd be all for getting a new team captain. That team page desparately needs updating. Perhaps several of us can send a plea to some UD webmaster type. He could at least verify that we are indeed all on the team, and that the current captain hasn't logged in for a year. So maybe they'd set us up with a new password?

-Mike
drmcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2002, 06:29 PM   #70 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Mike,

I searched the UD forum before posting this. I didn't see any instance of UD helping folks change Captains. It seemed like the un-official "official" response was to start a new team and have the users move over.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #71 (Print)
Guyy

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnJr
Mike,

I searched the UD forum before posting this. I didn't see any instance of UD helping folks change Captains. It seemed like the un-official "official" response was to start a new team and have the users move over.

-John
Could our points be carried over as well?

Old 06-25-2002, 06:58 PM   #72 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

I'm not sure about that Guyy. My guess is that no. I think that Team points are just that, Team points. If we started a new Team, our points would begin from there.

martinwh does still visit this forum, I think his last post was 05/20/02. I have every confidence that he will allow us to elect a new captain and work with us to see that the team gets transfered to that new captain. It just may take a bit to chat back-and-forth with him and get it done.

-John
Old 06-25-2002, 10:03 PM   #73 (Print)
PAP

Definitely do not start a new team! All points will be lost. It's not like you get paid to be the "captain" of the team, but it would be nice to update the web page and martin may wish to allow someone else to take the "reins of power" for a bit in order to move the team along
Old 06-25-2002, 10:29 PM   #74 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
I had problems recently with the UD program sending/receiving data....reinstalled, and I'm back to crunching! Thanks for the reminder!

Old 06-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #75 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Hi guys,

I just got a response from martinwh and he is happy to pass the baton to one of us. He has been quite busy with family/work and has not had the extra time to manage the Team, but he is still commited to the project.

I guess our next step is to decide whom should be the new captain, and then I can forward him/her instructions on how to contact martin and arrange the transfer of Captainship.

How do ya'll propose doing that? If it's a nominations and/or vote thing I hereby would nominate PAP if he is willing to take on the job.

-John
Old 06-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #76 (Print)
PAP

I'd be happy to do it, but I'd also be happy to defer to any of our more senior team members if they would wish to be captain. I'm just thrilled the team is growing again - if you haven't joined yet, please do so now!

Actually the project just today is entering a new phase - I just (automatically) downloaded a whole new module instead of the previous "THINK" engine - how we are getting one step closer to actual drugs to be used. The new engine is "LIGANDFIT" and it's PHASE2.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:21 AM   #77 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

3, 2, 1, BANG BANG BANG

PAP,

Check your PM, I'm going to forward the message from Martin about how to get a hold of him to change Captains. Thanks for taking the job on!

-John
Old 06-29-2002, 04:07 PM   #78 (Print)
PAP

Well the change has been made. I would like to solicit a new "team description" to enter on our page. I would put something like "Tivo is the best money I've ever spent" but I figure somebody else with more eloquence might come up with a bit better statement...

I did update the home page link, so it should be working now.

Another note: lots of difficulty connecting recently with UD. This seems to be related to all the updating they are doing. Don't get discouraged - just ignore the little yellow exclamation point - it will eventually connect on it's own.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:43 PM   #79 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Hey PAP, that's great that the switch has been made! I bumped the old "home page" thread with some info about the switch, check it out here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...2523#post582523

You may also want to either continue with the updates there, or possibly just start a new thread in the Happy Hour and call that home. (Right now it is in the U.K. Equivalent to the Happy Hour). I really don't have a strong preference either way.

My suggestion for a new tag-line for the team description would be;

TiVo Users, Fast Forwarding to a Cure for Cancer
or maybe
30 second skip, 30 second skip, 30 second skip, Cure!

But, like you I'll bet someone can do better

-John

Last edited by JohnJr : 06-29-2002 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:54 PM   #80 (Print)
GoldenTiger
Tivo Pony =)!

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian

Hrmm.. I don't know..

What the hell man! I didn't say that you *******, don't put **** into my mouth that I didn't say! A company that cures cancer deserves to be rich unlike an actor or baseball player.
GoldenTiger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2002, 01:18 AM   #81 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

GoldenTiger, mellow.... Ohm Ohm Ohm

Avian, he has a right to be mad... Please post your comments outside of the "quote". Even in bold, it's not understandable whom it's from.

-John
Old 06-30-2002, 09:12 AM   #82 (Print)
Francesco
Seņor Mambo

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Send a message via ICQ to Francesco Send a message via AIM to Francesco Send a message via MSN to Francesco Send a message via Yahoo to Francesco
Well, since getting UD Agent 3.0 I was finally able to connect with the server starting around the 27th (after a week of "backing off").

I have both the "reboot wipe" bug (work returns to zero upon rebooting, which I do a fair bit) and I have completed three units since the 27th, but with no results returned or points accumulated.

So last night I uninstalled the agent and downloaded/re-installed fresh, and now the system won't logon to "register" me, even though I'm an existing member... Mildly irritating.

I had had problems last year with earlier versions of the agent which prompted me to abandon the project. Everybody told me there was no way the agent was causing so much trouble on my Athlon 800/Win2K box, but once it was removed, the machine ran perfectly. I updated it to WinXP Pro early this year, and someone in another forum convinced me to rejoin the fight, as the new versions of the agent were rock solid... and for three months it was. Sorry to say, UD 3.0 is re-introducing some old issues and adding new ones. We'll see if they can smooth this soon, otherwise, I have other things to be concerned with right now than why my PC has become so sluggish and unstable.

Francesco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2002, 09:36 AM   #83 (Print)
Francesco
Seņor Mambo

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Send a message via ICQ to Francesco Send a message via AIM to Francesco Send a message via MSN to Francesco Send a message via Yahoo to Francesco
Update: finally got 3.0 registered and it appears I've loaded the LigandFit phase of the project. No idea what that's about (will read the release notes at the UD site later)...

Francesco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2002, 04:17 PM   #84 (Print)
PAP

We need some more members - thanks to all the newly active, we're moving up -- We want you!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #85 (Print)
JLWINE

Well, make that 280 members as I just joined.

Proud owner of:
DirecTV HR 10-250 powered by TiVo
Sony DirecTiVo 108hrs
Sony DirecTiVo Unmodified
TiVo owner since 09-99
DirecTv owner since 09-94
JLWINE is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2002, 05:13 PM   #86 (Print)
JohnJr
Right to Man

Welcome aboard JLWine!

Hey, I just got my driver's license. 16 years of CPU time

-John
Old 07-14-2002, 10:41 PM   #87 (Print)
drmcm

I mostly wanted to say hail to the new captain, PAP! And also thanks to the new folks for signing up. Always good to keep the team growing!

-Mike
drmcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2002, 08:10 AM   #88 (Print)
arkham999
Dazed and Confused

Send a message via AIM to arkham999 Send a message via Yahoo to arkham999
I waste my CPU cycles crunching on RC5-64 for Team MacNN. When RC5 winds down, I will probably look for another project, but until then I am sticking with what I have been on. My crunchers are:

1 P4/1.4, 1 G4/450, 1 P4/750, and part-time, a Celeron/366.

arkham999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2002, 08:38 AM   #89 (Print)
PAP

Can't wait to get ya' on our team! RC5 should almost be done, AFAIK!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:27 PM   #90 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

I just joined.. I had UD running on my laptop at my old job, but since I just got a new job, I gotta load it on my PC here.... P3 700 running XP, should be plenty..

Also going to load it on my Tbird 1.3Ghz machine at home, that is always on and sits idle probably 20 hours of the day.

Am I ever going to update my sig?
scottjf8 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post