TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #121 (Print)
polecat

Did you use anything special in the AT command for your modem?
polecat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2002, 08:31 AM   #122 (Print)
mdgaffney

The AT command used was listed earlier in this thread.
It was AT&D0&H0&I0&R1.
mdgaffney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2002, 06:07 AM   #123 (Print)
JBRU

Re: Tivo->modem cable

Quote:
Originally posted by dgrover
Philips HDR312, no modifications, version 3 software.
A common story: after a thunderstorm, no dialtone.

I had bought a 14.4k/Fax Viva external modem just in case. ($5 at the local college salvage.) Wired up a cable as follows:

Modem Tivo
2 "TD" <--- tip
3 "RD" ---> ring
7 Gnd <--> shield

4 "RTS" <--\
5 "CTS" ---/

6 "DSR" ---\
20 "DTR" <-/

The modem end is a db-25 male connector. The designations are for a "DCE" device, so the labels are correct--they're just backwards from a PC (a "DTE" device). I put the labels in quotes just as a reminder.

Very helpful post, hoping I can get some help for a specific situation.

I have a dead internal modem. I've been surviving for the last couple of months on an external modem connected to my Tivo through an RS-232 Serial Breakout Box loaned to me by a good friend. Well, my friend needs his box back (and is a bit ticked I've kept it this long) so I'm looking for alternatives.

My modem has a 9-pin connector and is connected through the box with DIP switches 2, 3 and 6 turned on and points 4 and 6 jumped on the modem side. A 9-25 pin adapter connects the Tivo serial cable to the box and a 25-9 adapter connects the box to the modem's cable.

I went looking for a 9-pin serial jumper box but found only a 25-pin jumper box. So I picked up a couple of appropriate adapters and set about to solder the jumper box to match the serial breakout box. I'm not a very good solderer, but I got things connected and tested with and Ohm meter with no stray connections. Unfortunately the darn thing don't work. No response from the modem when a call is made at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JBRU is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2002, 07:37 PM   #124 (Print)
Chad

I used a US Robotics Sportster Voice 33.6 modem, which did not have the aforementioned dip switch, but was up and running in no time. It also had the correct cable so there was no need to make a trip to Radio Shack for a Serial Port Adapter.

Thanks so much - this thread saved me a bundle!
Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-07-2002, 11:03 AM   #125 (Print)
jsheer

Re: External modem required hacking

I have version 2.5 on my SonySVR2000 and cannot the 14.4 modem to even communicate with the Tivo. Is this because of the version, or other setup issues, or do I need to try another modem? Is there anywhere to get an image of 3.0 so I can get the external modem if this is the case?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffshome
I have been able to get a 14 hour SA with a very dead modem working again. Here is what I learned.

This SA was hit by lighting and would not boot under version 2.0. It got stuck at "Almost there". Upon inspection the tops of several modem chips were blown off. This SA was shelved until I read that 3.0 could use the serial port.

I had to obtain a 3.0 image for the 14 hour SA and after imaging with mfstool 2.0 the SA booted. I tried to get a 14.4 US Robotics Sportser modem to work but my local pop would not support it. A test call and then the call to get the local phone numbers worked but my local pop required V.34 and hung up on the 14.4 modem.

The second modem I tried was a 28.8. It supports V.34 but the SA would not dial. Turns out the 28.8 was set to send number result codes instead of word result codes. TiVo would send "ATZ" and expected "OK". If it did not get "OK" it sent "+++ATH" thinking that it was still connected. I used the command "ATQ0V1X0" to "Q0" turn on result codes, "V1" send word codes & "X0" use basic result codes. I also sent the standard commands listed in this thread. The daily call completed and hung up but was not successful. It got stuck at loading data 80% or 85% and just sat there for days until I rebooted. The tclient log showed the following error:

Jul 23 12:17:45 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl: EXP_TIMEOUT
Jul 23 12:17:45 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl::LogStatistics Could not get modem stats. Trying 1 more time
Jul 23 12:17:57 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl: EXP_TIMEOUT
Jul 23 12:28:00 (none) WatchdogAction[105]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
<…continued…>
Jul 23 21:49:29 (none) WatchdogAction[105]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 34200 interval-secs

Seems the SA was still trying to access the dead modem even with ",#319". Searching the forums I found the following:

Since your modem is broken, you can just change the /dev entry for the modem to refer to the serial port.

mv cua1 cua1.orig
mknod cua1 c 5 67

I tried this and now the daily call and a test call completes successfully. I was only able to change /dev/hdc7 since I don't have a /dev/hdc4 after the restore.

I suspect that after a new software download I will once again have an original cua1 and will have to issue these commands again. Hopefully any new software will be changed to no longer try to access the internal modem when ",#319" is used. Hope this information helps in getting your external modem to work.
jsheer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2002, 09:29 AM   #126 (Print)
JDayTivo2

Send a message via AIM to JDayTivo2 Send a message via Yahoo to JDayTivo2
Question external modem NO SUCCESS

Hi Dan -- Unfortunately, I have had no success trying all the the following setting combinations on my US Robotics Sportster Voice 33.6 Faxmodem:
1)
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W0&WT
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W1&WT

2)
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1
ATQ0V1X0
AT&W0
AT&W1

My modem does not have the dip switches (not even on the PC board inside) to set "Terminal Override". Not sure how this would differ from &D0 command (DTR override) anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this specific modem model to work?

Also, the lights on my modem do not change, so I wonder whehter or not TiVo is trying to communicate with the external modem connected to the Serial jack. Is there anyway to test the connection?

Thanks

JDayTivo2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #127 (Print)
opusdsb

says not responding, pls help

I have read all through here and it has all been a great help, thank you. My Sony 2000 modem is out. I have a US Robotics 56K, used hyper terminal to enter modem commands (I am so novice it took me a few tries to figure out they are 0's not O's) and set dip switches per this string. I have tried ,#319, 311 and 396.

I hear the modem negotiate, so this must mean the Tivo sees the modem right? but it won't connect, says "service not responding"

I have tried to get new phone mumbers but even that section errors with same message. (website says the number I am using is current anyway)

Any ideas? thank you
opusdsb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-10-2002, 10:31 PM   #128 (Print)
Kommie2000

Note Viking Components 56K Modem works too

I have successfully used a Viking Components 56K external modem on my Phillips Tivo. Settings are almost the same as for the USR, except I used at&K0 instead of at&H0. Also, I had to set the speed of the modem using AT+MS=11 to lock it to 33.6. I'm going to try it at full 56k speed when I have some time.
Kommie2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-11-2002, 12:42 AM   #129 (Print)
Shag

Can this be done on a DirecTiVo? I don't seem to have a serial port, so I'm guessing not, but thought I'd check, just in case...

My modem was taken out recently, and it would be great if this would work for an easy fix...
Shag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-11-2002, 09:33 AM   #130 (Print)
thefontanellas

I also have a dead modem, and hesitate to seem ignorant, but I have a question about connecting the external modem. The serial port on the back of my Phillips HDR112 is just the small jack, like a headphone jack. How do I connect the modem to this port? Am I completely off base on this? I appreciate any help at all...thanks. Demian
thefontanellas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-11-2002, 10:44 AM   #131 (Print)
dees2

I am having a similar problem to opusdsb's. I have a dead internal modem (lightning, don't ya know) and have hooked up a new US Robotics 56k external modem to a Phillips 30 hr Tivo, running 3.0 software. Terminal override and Carrier detect dip switches are properly set. I've user the USR software to limit the modem to 19200 and set the proper hyperterminal commands as well. When I try my test call, it works fine. If I then force a daily call right after the test call, it usually works, too. Every once and a while I'll get service not responding but if I try again immediately after that error, it will connect and download. So I've actually gotten the external modem to work but only when I force the test and daily call back to back. If I leave the Tivo to its own schedule, when it makes the daily call it issues a "modem not responding" message. I then have to do the test/daily call dance in order to get program information. I've trien the #,319 and #,311 prefixes with EXACTLY the same behavior. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!)
dees2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #132 (Print)
jlc

It seems a few people are running external modems on their TiVo. I was wondering if anyone had a TiVo network card and Caller ID, and would like to try a TCP/IP Network Caller ID (NCID) server with the external modem. It uses TiVoCID to display the information on screen, and another client, that runs on Linux and Windows, to display the information on a PC. I use the NCID server on Linux, have tested it on the TiVo with one external modem (this group was a big help in getting the modem to work), but I have no experience using it that way. If interested, see JLC Caller ID Page for descriptions of the programs and screen shots ot the clients in use.
jlc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-12-2002, 09:18 AM   #133 (Print)
opusdsb

dees2 and thefontanellas

first, quickly for thefontanellas, yes it is the mini jack, my Sony Tivo came with a mini jack to DB9 connector cable to make this connection.

DEES2, please, please, please tell me exactly what you did. it seems you are a bit farther along than I am. You have at least gotten daily call data when you have forced it. I only have one day left! Can you tell me what you did with the USR (I assume you mean US Robotics) software? I did not even load this. I only used Hyper Terminal to try AT&D0&H0&I0&R1 and AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W1. I have tried the dip switches #1 and #6 in both positions. One final Q for diagnostic purposes, if the modem makes all the chirps and buzzes to negotiate that at least means the Tivo sees the modem, correct? Does it also mean that I can stop messing with the dip switches as these are only needed to get Tivo to see the modem?

thank you
Old 09-12-2002, 09:50 AM   #134 (Print)
dees2

opusdsb

Okay. I used the USR software at first because I couldn't get hyperterminal to respond to my keystrokes. I can't remember exactly what they call it but it is their modem management software. It has a nice graphic interface that lets you point and click many of the options that the AT commands enter manually. It also has a terminal mode that lets you interface directly with the modem like Hyperterminal. As far as dip switches go, I left all of them alone except for the Terminal override and Carrier Detect swithces which I did flip. Now I do get the "service not responding" message quite frequently but I simply keep calling until it picks up. Usually this only takes one or two more calls. Is this helping at all?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:14 PM   #135 (Print)
opusdsb

dees2

thank you.

I will try again tonight, but I have tried several times in a row before.

I will load the USR software and see if that helps.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #136 (Print)
dees2

opusdsb
One last thing. If the modem dials out but the service does not respond, the Tivo IS recognizing your modem and that's a good thing. If you didn't limit the speed you're connecting by, that might have something to do with the response issue. Be aware, however, that I'm a little fuzzy on how the max speed thing works so I could be way off base. It's just that a lot of the earlier posts say that 19200 is the optimal connection speed so that is what I limited my modem to by using the USR software.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:13 PM   #137 (Print)
opusdsb

success/Dees2

Dees2, thanks for the hand holding and effort. I could not get the USR software to even see the modem. Go figure! But through HyperTerm I was able to get it to connect. I do not yet know if it will make the call on its own, but it did the test call and the daily the first time I tried. I will let you know if tomorrow it makes the call on its own. For you, and anyone else here is exactly what I did.

Dip switch #1 and #6 down.

HyperTerm the following (each line followed by enter):
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1
ATQ0V1X0
AT&W0
AT&W1
AT&N10

The N10 forces max data rate to 19,200. Use Tivo dial prefix ,#319. That's it.

I really do not understand much of this, I am just a monkey at a keyboard, but I hope this helps someone.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:58 AM   #138 (Print)
Shag

Is anyone working on this for the current software release for DirecTiVos (2.5) by any chance? Would be great if someone was...
Shag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-13-2002, 07:22 AM   #139 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Re: success/Dees2

Quote:
Originally posted by opusdsb

Dip switch #1 and #6 down.

HyperTerm the following (each line followed by enter):
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1
ATQ0V1X0
AT&W0
AT&W1
AT&N10

The N10 forces max data rate to 19,200. Use Tivo dial prefix ,#319. That's it.

I really do not understand much of this, I am just a monkey at a keyboard, but I hope this helps someone.

The N10 actually didn't do anything. The two W's (W0 and W1) save the current configurations into "memory", so that when you power the modem up after connecting it to TiVo, it knows how to configure itself. Since you're adding the N10 string afterwards, it's not getting saved into the configuration.

The modem's speed is entirely controlled by the rate at which TiVo feeds it data, AFAIK, which is controlled by the dial prefix.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...sometimes I'm just a monkey at a keyboard, too.

--Chris

In-house:
Sony SVR-2000, 140 hours (WD 120GB), $199 lifetime sub and TurboNet
Philips HDR312, 167 hours (A: WD 60GB & B: WD 80GB), $249 lifetime sub and TurboNet.
Philips HDR112, 144 hours (A: Maxtor 120GB), lifetime sub. PPP over serial!
Philips HDR112, 144 hours (A: Maxtor 120GB), lifetime sub, removeable hard drive and TurboNet.
Philips HDR312, currently in pieces...'cause it's fun to mess with stuff!
That's three weeks of TiVo at medium quality, 24 hours a day.

Out on loan:
Philips HDR112, 116 hours. Currently on loan to Dad.

Actual mother-son conversation:
Son: "Hey, Mom. How's your Christmas present (DirecTiVo) working out?"
Mother: "TiVo rocks."
Nihilator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-13-2002, 09:58 AM   #140 (Print)
opusdsb

N10 and memory

per Nihilator's post

1) if I never unplugged the modem from AC will N10 command have an effect?
2) if I unplug or lose power now do you think the modem will still work?
3) is one of the "W" commands (W0 or W1) redundant or does it save into different memories?
4) thank you
Old 09-13-2002, 11:14 AM   #141 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Quote:
1) if I never unplugged the modem from AC will N10 command have an effect?
2) if I unplug or lose power now do you think the modem will still work?
3) is one of the "W" commands (W0 or W1) redundant or does it save into different memories?
4) thank you

<monkey>

1) "Other people have said" that TiVo performs an ATZ command on the modem, which clears whatever the current settings are and resets it to its default stored settings, probably in W0.

2) W0 and W1 are retained even when the power is off.

3) Different memories, and W0 should be the one that it reads on power-up and reset, but it doesn't hurt to write it to W1, also.

4) Thank the people who helped me get my external modem set up. I'm just sitting here banging away at a keyboard.

I hate to cut this short, but my mate is swinging on the tire and she knows what that does to me. I'm going to go over and pick mites off of her, and then see if she wants to split a banana.

</monkey>

Hey, somebody check my work!

--Chris

In-house:
Philips HDR312, 167 hours (A: WD 60GB & B: WD 80GB), $249 lifetime sub and TurboNet.
Philips HDR112, 144 hours (A: Maxtor 120GB), lifetime sub, removeable hard drive and TurboNet.

Out on loan:

Old 09-13-2002, 06:51 PM   #142 (Print)
jsheer

version 3.0 for SonySVR2000 please?

Well I asked nicely, and I can't seem to get anywhere.

1.Modem is dead. Never worked.
2.Considering Turbonet
3.Want to test the Tivo with external modem before dumping more money
4. Need Sony SVR2000 version 3.0 to test external modem.

Please, please, someone point me to an image...

Thanks...
jsheer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-13-2002, 09:51 PM   #143 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Check your PMs, jsheer.

--Chris

In-house:

Out on loan:

Old 09-14-2002, 08:46 AM   #144 (Print)
opusdsb

dees2

the setup I listed made the daily call on its own

the next test is to remove AC and see if it still works when plugged back in

I am still confused if the N10 command I sent after the save commands (W0 and W1) is presently in use. I believe this command will be lost if power goes out.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:43 AM   #145 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Re: dees2

Quote:
Originally posted by opusdsb
the setup I listed made the daily call on its own

the next test is to remove AC and see if it still works when plugged back in

I am still confused if the N10 command I sent after the save commands (W0 and W1) is presently in use. I believe this command will be lost if power goes out.

Your setup looks good. It should still work even after you power it down. The N10 command will be lost when you power down, but it's not a necessary command.

--Chris

In-house:

Out on loan:

Old 09-15-2002, 09:43 AM   #146 (Print)
cb942

External modem won't work

Hi, the modem in my Tivo died so I found the info on this link, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...l+modem+success and figured that was my best bet.... I have a usr external 56k v.90 modem with the same switch bank as described. I issued all the commands, which all replied with "ok". Entered dialing prefix ,#319, and tried it... but no good. The tivo error says "modem not responding". I never hear the modem come off hook or seen any lights blink.

Any ideas??? Help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Chuck
cb942 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM   #147 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Re: External modem won't work

Quote:
Originally posted by cb942
Hi, the modem in my Tivo died ... I have a usr external 56k v.90 modem with the same switch bank as described. I issued all the commands, which all replied with "ok". Entered dialing prefix ,#319, and tried it... but no good. The tivo error says "modem not responding". I never hear the modem come off hook or seen any lights blink.

Any ideas??? Help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Chuck

What's your setup? (TiVo model number) What version software is it running?

What commands did you send to the modem? What lights are lit on the modem, even when you're not trying to dial?

--Chris

In-house:

Out on loan:

Old 09-15-2002, 08:00 PM   #148 (Print)
cb942

More info

Sorry, I should have given more info to start with.
Sony SRV2000
Software is V3.
These command strings sent to modem via hyperterminal:
AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W0 and AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W1
Both of the above commands seemed to work fine, that is, no errors.
TR & CS lights are on. No light activity when testing.

I did notice one thing strange though but probably not related... at&v resulted in an error.

I have three girls in the house, one being my wife, that are applying gentle pressure...
Thank you,
cb
Old 09-15-2002, 09:03 PM   #149 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Are at&h0 and at&i0 part of USR's command set? I just looked up a reference that includes &k0 (the catch-all "ignore flow control" command), but I can't find &h0 and &i0. It may have been for the wrong type of modem, though. In any event, at&v should give you something.

Since I've only worked with Zooms, I can't speak with any authority about USRs. I can ask the stupid questions, though...

Are you sure you're sending the commands to the correct modem?

Are you sure the modem is connected properly to the serial port? Id est, you're using the serial control cable that came with your TiVo, which is connected to a DB-9 to DB-25 connector, which is connected to the modem, which is connected to the phone line in the "phone line" jack, not the "phone" jack?

What, exactly, is the model number of your modem?

--Chris

In-house:

Out on loan:

Old 09-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #150 (Print)
cb942

External modem won't work

Hi Chris,
The modem is a Sportster 00568602. I believe it would be just a newer model than the 33.6 described in the mentioned link.
The commands worked without any error and I've tried each separately too... at&d0, at&h0 etc. Serial direct to modem.

I did not have the serial cable that should have come with the srv2000 and had one made to go directly from serial port on Tivo to db25 for modem. I also tried inserting a null modem cable (laplink cable) in case the crossover was wrong. No response at all from the modem.... seems like even if it wasn't going to work due to some setting on the modem it should at least come off-hook, flash some lights or something.

Chuck
ps, I'm the one asking dumb questions here