Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2002, 11:22 PM   #1 (Print)
josquin
root

Lightbulb YAC: Yet Another Caller ID Program (for TiVo!)

I'm pleased to announce my first contribution to the TiVo development community: YAC (Yet Another Caller ID Program).

YAC is a distributed Caller ID system. It is not 'elseed', it does not use your TiVo's built-in modem in any way.

The main YAC component runs on a Windows computer with a Caller-ID compatible modem. It runs in the background and notifies you on-screen whenever a phone call comes in that includes Caller ID information.

YAC also notifies any "listeners" on your network. A listener is any device running the YAC "listener" software. When these devices are notified that Caller ID information is available, they display it as well. There are currently YAC listeners for Windows and for TiVo.

So, when a call comes in to my house, my three computers and my TiVo all show the Caller ID information simultaneously. Only my main computer has a modem connected to the phone line. I hardly ever have to go running across my house to get my phone anymore!

Let me know if you're willing to give it a try, and give feedback or report bugs in this thread if you find them.

I owe a debt of gratitude to 'elseed' for the idea (and for the robust on-screen rendering code); unfortunately, the modem in my DirecTivo wouldn't deliver consistent Caller ID info.

You can download version 0.10 here:

http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

Source code is also freely available. Let me know if you get it working or have other questions/thoughts.
josquin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #2 (Print)
jakeforce

I tried it out and it worked well. Also with just 3 line of Tcl code you can display any line of text with the YAC "client" running on the Tivo. (see Below)

#### put your Tivo's IP address below and run on a remote host
set s [socket 192.168.1.XXX 10629]
puts $s "Test Message"
close $s
####

Old 08-13-2002, 10:51 PM   #3 (Print)
gss

No go for me. I can select my modem from the list but the program does not respond to an incoming call. I can however use another callerid program called Call Trace without any problems with my modem.

http://www.digitalroom.net/calltrace/
gss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 04:15 AM   #4 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by gss
No go for me. I can select my modem from the list but the program does not respond to an incoming call. I can however use another callerid program called Call Trace without any problems with my modem.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what kind of modem you have and what OS you're running. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:17 AM   #5 (Print)
josquin
root

New Version: 0.11 Available

I posted a new version of YAC tonight, version 0.11. You can download it here: http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

Here's a summary of changes:
* Added support for Windows Me as a server.
* Added support for Windows 98, Me, and NT 4.0 as listeners.
* Fixed "grayed out" icon problem on non-XP computers.
* Fixed issue where an Out of Area name would cause the number to be likewise.
* No more "number leakage" between two quick calls.

Thanks for the many of you who wrote with bugs, suggestions, comments or thanks. I'd appreciate the many of you who requested WinMe support from the server or Win98 support from the listener to download this release and let me know if it works (I don't have those OSs to test on.)

There's no 0.11 upgrade for the TiVo binary, you should keep using 0.10 on your TiVo.

Thanks for all the comments, let me know how the new version works for you!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:21 AM   #6 (Print)
josquin
root

Re: New Version: 0.11 Available

Quote:
Originally posted by josquin
I posted a new version of YAC tonight, version 0.11. You can download it here: http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

Quick note: if you uninstall 0.10 before installing 0.11, the uninstaller will wipe out your YAC.INI file (including any listeners or replacements you set up). You might want to backup this file ahead of time (copy it out of Program Files\YAC and then copy it back in after you've upgraded).
Old 08-14-2002, 04:28 PM   #7 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

WOW! This rocks! It's like you read my mind - this is EXACTLY what I wanted to do (client/server LAN support and, TiVo) but never got around to doing it! The only thing you don't have that I need to add is VFD support to display the caller ID on my HTPC. But you've even made the source available so I can do that. I'm stunned. Thank you!

-- Rob
DJRobX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 05:06 PM   #8 (Print)
jixter

yep .. works Excelent!! worked on first try Thank you for finally putting out a quick easy caller id app. NICE WORK!!
jixter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 06:38 PM   #9 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

Minor bug to report.

Initial install went OK (Win2k with 3com modem). When I ran it for the first time, I selected my modem from the list and then checked the box to run with that setting every time.

However, I got an error that YAC could not open the phone line. Now, whenever I run YAC, I get that error and the program exits. I can't get back in to the program dialog to uncheck the box.

I uninstalled and re-installed, but it still exits with the same error. Did the install write something to the registry that I can go change to uncheck that option?

Thanks,

Steve

Running: TurboNET, Telnet, TiVoFTPd, TiVoWeb, & TiVoPHP!
TiVo Newbie Hacking How-To Guide
TiVo Community Theme for TiVoWeb
My Home Theater
stevejenkins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 06:42 PM   #10 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

A regedit search answered my own question.

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\YAC settings aren't removed during an uninstal.

Deleting the above key and then running yac.exe again fixes the bug I reported. You may want to update your uninstall script.

I'll keep trying to get this running - sounds like a great app!

Running: TurboNET, Telnet, TiVoFTPd, TiVoWeb, & TiVoPHP!
TiVo Newbie Hacking How-To Guide
TiVo Community Theme for TiVoWeb
My Home Theater
stevejenkins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 PM   #11 (Print)
DrewG

This is a great little program. I have installed it fine and I'm pretty sure it works as there are calls in the log, although I haven't been home to see it in action yet. The only feature request I'd add is a way to pull up the log from the system tray icon. It's a pain to dig all the way down to the directory and I like to keep my desktop shortcut-free.
DrewG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 10:29 PM   #12 (Print)
antalo

Re: YAC: Yet Another Caller ID Program (for TiVo!)

I have a little problem, but it is most likely operator error. I have an Ambient Ham modem, Windows XP Home Edition and a cable modem for interner access.
I installed YAC, it locked up my computer. It would not install on start up. I downloaded the .11 on top of the old one, tried to install it but would not because the old one was running. Tried to exit it, but could not. Tried to unistall from "Add/Delete" programs. Had a hard time doing it. Had to reboot first, because after reboot it would not run. Unistalled it, and installed the .11. You mentioned that some files would have to be moved before uninstall. Doesn't the .11 include those files also?
It did not put an icon into sys tray. Had to run it from "Programs" to get started. Right click on icon in sys tray brings up windows with "Select Modem on start Up" - I selected. Than, "Select Listener" I entered my other computer and TIVO.
My question is : Do I install the same software in the second computer too ?
I have Telnet and ftp com with my TIVO. Would you please spell it out exactly how do I transfer the software from my hard drive into the TIVO and hoe do I install it.
I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I can't find anyplace where I can get some info to learn it.

Thanks for your help
Antal
antalo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 11:36 PM   #13 (Print)
Agent_C

Ditto for me. Installs just fine... recognized my modem correctly, but just doesn't respond to incoming calls.

USR 56k Fax PCI - Version 5.0.2195 - (Hardware modem)

A_C

Quote:
Originally posted by gss

http://www.digitalroom.net/calltrace/
Agent_C is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2002, 11:54 PM   #14 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewG
This is a great little program. I have installed it fine and I'm pretty sure it works as there are calls in the log, although I haven't been home to see it in action yet. The only feature request I'd add is a way to pull up the log from the system tray icon. It's a pain to dig all the way down to the directory and I like to keep my desktop shortcut-free.

That's a good suggestion and I'll get to it in due time (or else someone else is welcome to take the source and add it).

In the meantime, I'm tracking down an issue 2 people are having where they claim to have TAPI-compliant modems but they don't work with YAC. We'll see how it turns out...
Old 08-15-2002, 10:32 AM   #15 (Print)
Agent_C

Red face EXTREME WEIRDNESS...

No only does your program not respond to incoming calls, it DISABLES THE CALLER-ID ON ALL THE PHONES IN MY HOUSE!

Terminating the program returns things back to normal. (I did 3 A/B tests to confirm this).

A_C

Quote:

In the meantime, I'm tracking down an issue 2 people are having where they claim to have TAPI-compliant modems but they don't work with YAC. We'll see how it turns out...
Agent_C is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2002, 04:32 PM   #16 (Print)
antalo

No matter what I do, the minute I run YAC, it locks up windows XP.

I hope you find a fix for it.
Antal
antalo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #17 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

Quote:

I have an older Supra 28.8 external modem that supports caller ID. I hooked it up to my XP machine and XP detected it as a plug and play modem (SupraFAX Modem 288 (336)). However YAC doesn't seem to display ANYTHING about incoming calls... no CID info and no indication of a call in the log file (the modem displays "RI" on the front display to indicate a ring though).

I opened the serial port in a standard comm app and watched the CID info display when I called the house.

Any ideas? I also have a USR 56k internal modem... maybe I should pop that in and try it.

Old 08-15-2002, 11:28 PM   #18 (Print)
gss

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what kind of modem you have and what OS you're running. Thanks!

I have a WinComm II 56k modem running on Windows 2000. The only other thing that might help you figure out what's going on is I have to check the "Manually decode caller ID data" option in the Call Trace program I mentioned in my original post. I have no idea what this option specifically does though.
gss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2002, 11:34 PM   #19 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

This program rocks!!!! It works perfectly with the USR PCI 56K Performance Pro modem I installed. This is better than the external Supra 288 anyway.... no power brick or serial cable.

I have it sending the CID info to another computer and two wireless TiVos. Thanks for the awesome software!!

Old 08-15-2002, 11:50 PM   #20 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

It's working great for me!

josquin: I made one minor change that you may think about doing - I changed LINECALLPRIVILEGE_OWNER to LINECALLPRIVILEGE_MONITOR in your LineOpen call. With it set as OWNER, I could not run your application alongside my voicemail software (it would never receive the caller ID).

I also had to make it run as a service (I'm lazy, I used the ANYSRVC.EXE hack) in order to play nice with voicemail and remote desktop.

As for the rest of your guys' problems, one thing you should be aware of, 56k PCI internal modems, in general, are *total* disaster, especially in Windows XP. I went through about 8 modems trying to find one that works decently with my voicemail software under XP. Every one I tried had it's own quirk:

The conexant HSF based ones tended to work well, but lacked caller ID
The conexant HCF modems (e.g. Creative Modem Blaster) couldn't answer the phone and would lock up the whole system
The ESS based ones did great quality voice and caller ID but would die when you used remote desktop and faxing wouldn't work.
The USR 5695 takes about 2 seconds between answering and playing the OGM (too slow) and is oversampled.

The best - and still not perfect - modem I've found happened to be the cheapest. A $12 PC-Tel based modem. Works almost flawlessly, except there's some clicking in the voice messages (which sometimes lead to overly long messages with nothing in them).

If you're having problems with lockups or caller ID problems try out a different modem!

-- Rob
Old 08-15-2002, 11:58 PM   #21 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX
one thing you should be aware of, 56k PCI internal modems, in general, are *total* disaster, especially in Windows XP.

Agreed, but I never have had any problems with the USR PCI Performance Pro modem (the one with an onboard DSP). I avoid Winmodems like the plague including the non-"performance pro" USR modem. Almost all PCI modems are effectively Winmodems as are (almost?) all USB modems. The Performance Pro modem works great in Windows 2000/XP and Linux 2.4.

But I don't use voicemail software.... I prefer voicemail from the phone company (although I hate the $7/mo charge... but it's still better than an answering machine).

Old 08-16-2002, 01:27 AM   #22 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
josquin: I made one minor change that you may think about doing - I changed LINECALLPRIVILEGE_OWNER to LINECALLPRIVILEGE_MONITOR in your LineOpen call. With it set as OWNER, I could not run your application alongside my voicemail software (it would never receive the caller ID).

I originally had it as MONITOR, but read an arcticle that posited that with many modems, you wouldn't get a notification unless you run with OWNER because of (you gussed it) bugs in the driver. It would be interesting to change and see if it adversely affects anyone.

I have most of the code done to run YAC natively as a service; however ideally I don't want to have to run it interactively for security reasons, which means config/UI needs to run separately. Not the end of the world, but given the srvany cheap trick, I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #23 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Quote:
But I don't use voicemail software.... I prefer voicemail from the phone company (although I hate the $7/mo charge... but it's still better than an answering machine).
I used to use Telco voicemail. $7 is way too much. Now I'm saving $7 a month and my voicemails are e-mailed to me (or my to my s/o, if the person chooses 2). So when I'm not home, all I have to do is check my e-mail on someone's computer to get my voice messages, neatly displayed with the caller ID information. Or, I can call in and get them if I don't have access to a computer, which for me is very rare.

-- Rob
Old 08-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #24 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Arrow WinME woes

Downloaded 0.11 from YAC website, installed to a WinME box. Tried to launch YAC, I get this:

followed by:

Figured maybe my modem didn't do caller id (this is on an older [1998] box that I don't think ever did caller id right), so I went and bought a modem that specifically says it does do caller id: the HiVal H56IP-00R. Installed it, tested the modem, it's all good (haven't been able to test its caller-id functionality yet) Launch YAC again, same thing as before.

On my newer PC, the modem definitely doesn't do caller id, but YAC still gives me a list to choose from:

...so I'm thinking it's something about WinME, that YAC doesn't correctly query for the list of modems.

Or something

Last edited by dr_mal : 08-16-2002 at 03:55 PM.
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #25 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

Quote:
I used to use Telco voicemail. $7 is way too much.

The main reason I use telco voice mail instead of an answering machine (or voice mail on the computer) is because it doesn't work when you're on the phone. Telco voice mail will pick up when you're on the phone instead of them getting a busy signal.

By the way, what software do you use to do voice mail on your PC?

Old 08-16-2002, 06:00 PM   #26 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Update: installed the HiVal modem in the XP box. I can select it from YAC's initial dialog box, but it doesn't respond to calls. I tried connecting directly to the COM port in HyperTerminal; the modem sees the name and number just fine.

CallTrace doesn't work for me either. I had someone at 604-464-xxxx call, first try CallTrace got nothing, second try it got 604-4 (that's it), subsequent tries got nothing. Second and fourth tries were with "Manually decode caller id info" checked.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:50 PM   #27 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Another update:

I think I see part of the problem -- now I need to know how to fix it

Looking at my modem's log file (c:\windows\ModemLog_NameOfModem.txt), I see the following when I get a phone call:

08-16-2002 17:45:13.733 - Recv: <cr><lf>RING<cr><lf>
08-16-2002 17:45:13.733 - Interpreted response: Ring
08-16-2002 17:45:14.296 - Recv: <cr><lf>DATE=
08-16-2002 17:45:14.296 - Interpreted response: DATE
08-16-2002 17:45:14.343 - Recv: 0816<cr><lf>
08-16-2002 17:45:14.343 - Recv: TIME=1
08-16-2002 17:45:14.343 - Interpreted response: DATE
08-16-2002 17:45:14.343 - Recv: 74
08-16-2002 17:45:14.343 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.389 - Recv: 5
08-16-2002 17:45:14.389 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.389 - Recv: <cr><lf>NMBR=25
08-16-2002 17:45:14.389 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.436 - Recv: 0
08-16-2002 17:45:14.436 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.436 - Recv: 55512
08-16-2002 17:45:14.436 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.483 - Recv: 3
08-16-2002 17:45:14.483 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:14.483 - Recv: 4<cr><lf>NAME=O<cr><lf>
08-16-2002 17:45:14.483 - Unknown Response
08-16-2002 17:45:19.686 - Recv: <cr><lf>RING<cr><lf>
08-16-2002 17:45:19.686 - Interpreted response: Ring

The number, 250-555-1234, is split into several lines as the modem reads it. So is the date (0816) and time (1745). Seems to me there was a simple fix for this sort of thing when I was trying to get a bash prompt from the TiVo and its login was split up like that...what the heck was the fix?

Thanks for letting me think this through in this thread, btw

Old 08-17-2002, 12:21 PM   #28 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Dr_Mal: Check out this page. It explains what you need to do pretty well:

http://www.talkingcallerid.com/ModemDriver.htm.

I had the exact same problem with my ESS based modem. Removing the <cr><lf> around the caller ID strings fixed it. Don't pay any attention to how it breaks it up into multiple lines. If you get it to detect the first part right, it figures out the rest.

Quote:
The main reason I use telco voice mail instead of an answering machine (or voice mail on the computer) is because it doesn't work when you're on the phone. Telco voice mail will pick up when you're on the phone instead of them getting a busy signal.

By the way, what software do you use to do voice mail on your PC?
Yep, I do miss that. But not $7/month worth. I think my TiVos use my phone way more than I do! I just don't spend that much time on the phone to begin with, so at one point I decided I was spending way too much on custom calling services and stripped off everything but caller ID.

I started with a program called TalkWorks Pro. This was on a Windows 98 machine with the first generic Rockwell ISA voicemodem I tried. It worked beautifully from the get-go. Another "bonus" was that it could receive faxes in addition to voicemail. All hell broke loose when I upgraded to an Athlon and was forced to get a PCI voicemodem (no ISA slots). I'm still looking for a modem that was as good as my original ISA modem, I guess that's why I'm so bitter about it... LOL!

TalkWorks was good but a little overkill, and was a bit of a pain if you changed modems. So, I switched to a program called IVM (http://www.nch.com.au/ivm/). It's a little more "raw", but it's clearly more of a "standard" TAPI application, and is more configurable.

-- Rob
Old 08-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #29 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

DJRobX: thanks a bunch! Stupid CR/LF Works like a charm now. I guess I need to get that TurboNet card so I can install the TiVo client!

Old 08-17-2002, 02:05 PM   #30 (Print)
josquin
root

Re: WinME woes

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
...so I'm thinking it's something about WinME, that YAC doesn't correctly query for the list of modems.

I only tested YAC server on Win2K and WinXP, but someone asked me to remove the version block to see if it worked in WinMe. I had my doubts, but all the APIs I'm using are supported in Me, so I thought it was worth a try.

It now seems likely that it's just busted as a server in Me. Given that:
1) I don't have any intention of installing Me.
2) Even if I did, the debugger I use doesn't run on Me

I think I'll probably require that the server run on 2K and XP again unless someone who has Me wants to take a look at the source and debug the problem.