Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2002, 12:46 AM   #61 (Print)
kronos80

Windows 98

Any word on if/when the server will work on 98?
kronos80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2002, 06:05 AM   #62 (Print)
josquin
root

New Version: 0.13 Available

Hey all,

I've made available on the usual site YAC 0.13. This version fixes the problem where the name would get corrupted in the call log. (Sorry about that!)

As usual you can download here:

http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

To make the download worth your while (besides the aforementioned bug fix), 0.13 contains one extra feature: Name Substitutions UI. You could always do name substitutions with YAC, but it required editing a config file. Now, you can easily add/remove names from the YAC user interface. From the YAC menu, click "Name Substitutions..." to get started.

For those that don't know, "name substitutions" is a way to specify a custom name of your choosing to be displayed for a phone number instead of the name Caller ID returns.

Thanks for the continued feedback and sorry for the call log problem with 0.12.
josquin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2002, 03:16 PM   #63 (Print)
Robin

The closest I've come to hacking my TiVo is installing a new hard drive, so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't.

Two questions:

I have a wireless Windows LAN already. It's my understanding that if I had airnet for the TiVo I could use YAC--no need to set up a linux box?

I've just switched to an ISP which supports v.92 and is sending me a v.92 modem, which means I'll have "Modem on Hold" and the ability to receive CWCID information while online. Any chance this would work with YAC? I'm guessing not (since I can't seem to find *any* software which works with v.92 except what's provided by the modem manufacturers) but it never hurts to ask.

"What Robin said. :D :up:" - Fofer
Robin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2002, 04:02 PM   #64 (Print)
Spence

Cool

I am using a BEST DATA v.92 modem with YAC and it works great.

Old 08-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #65 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by rsanborn
I have a wireless Windows LAN already. It's my understanding that if I had airnet for the TiVo I could use YAC--no need to set up a linux box?

Correct. The YAC server runs on your Windows computer which is connected to the phone line.

Once the server receives Caller ID info from a call, it forwards that info over the network (wireless or otherwise) to "YAC Listeners", which can be TiVos, other computers... whatever. The "Listeners" then display the Caller ID information as well, so you have it wherever you are.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:27 AM   #66 (Print)
Robin

Spence,

Are you saying YAC brings up CID info while you're online? That is *sooo* cool! I want my new modem *now*!

"What Robin said. :D :up:" - Fofer
Robin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-21-2002, 08:52 AM   #67 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

Here's a weird one. I added the IP of my firewall at work as a listener. I then set up a port forwarding rule so that it forwards TCP 10629 to my internal workstation at work. I installed the listener on my work machine and it actually does work! The weird part is that it gets *two* notifications in rapid succession (like 1/2 second apart).

This is a Linux 2.4 iptables firewall if that makes any difference. I ran tcpdump on the firewall and sure enough, it looks like the YAC server sends out two notifications in a row. Why would this happen with a remote listener? Is it also happening with LAN clients but too fast to notice?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #68 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

I worked around the problem by changing the firewall rule so that it only forwards up to 10 TCP packets per minute (for non-established connections). Basically the firewall will only forward a YAC notification once every 6 seconds at the most. I'd still like to know why multiple notifications are being sent, but I looked through the source and nothing looked wrong to me.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:38 PM   #69 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by Savard
I worked around the problem by changing the firewall rule so that it only forwards up to 10 TCP packets per minute (for non-established connections). Basically the firewall will only forward a YAC notification once every 6 seconds at the most. I'd still like to know why multiple notifications are being sent, but I looked through the source and nothing looked wrong to me.

Do other listeners get two notifications?

One possibility: most of the time, the internal notification that name and number have arrived from Caller ID stream come separately. The number comes first, then a few tenths of a second later, the name comes.

In order to not show UI twice in quick succession, YAC waits a period of time (MAX_WAIT_TIME in the code, by default I think 500ms) after each notification to see if it gets another notification before sending info on to the listeners.

It could be that your phone company has a pause of more than 500ms between the time it sends number and name, and therefore YAC is sending two notifications.

Have you looked to see if both notifications are identical, or perhaps the first is number only, and the second name + number?
Old 08-21-2002, 05:49 PM   #70 (Print)
Savard
TiVo-ized Aug 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by josquin
Do other listeners get two notifications?

One possibility: most of the time, the internal notification that name and number have arrived from Caller ID stream come separately. The number comes first, then a few tenths of a second later, the name comes.

No, the listeners on the LAN don't pop up twice. And the phone company sends the name and number in succession... there is no noticeable delay between the two.

If the YAC server does not get an acknowledgement from the listener does it try to resend the notice? I'm wondering if the port forwarding and two NAT layers between my work listener and the home server is causing some problems with TCP communication.

Old 08-21-2002, 06:27 PM   #71 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by Savard

No, the listeners on the LAN don't pop up twice. And the phone company sends the name and number in succession... there is no noticeable delay between the two.

If the YAC server does not get an acknowledgement from the listener does it try to resend the notice? I'm wondering if the port forwarding and two NAT layers between my work listener and the home server is causing some problems with TCP communication.

No, I launch threads for each listener, connect to the socket, output the information, and disconnect. I don't try to resend in an error case.

Sounds like your router is somehow forwarding the information twice. (Or maybe, you've entered the same computer twice in the listeners list?)
Old 08-22-2002, 12:16 AM   #72 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Quote:
Here's a weird one. I added the IP of my firewall at work as a listener. I then set up a port forwarding rule so that it forwards TCP 10629 to my internal workstation at work. I installed the listener on my work machine and it actually does work! The weird part is that it gets *two* notifications in rapid succession (like 1/2 second apart).
I have the same issue (double-notifications) on my ultra-plain LAN. It just never bothered me enough to bring it up. Checked the list, I'm only in there once. I have two listeners (different PCs) configured.

-- Rob

Last edited by DJRobX : 08-22-2002 at 12:21 AM.
DJRobX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2002, 07:41 AM   #73 (Print)
Juppers

You all aren't setting the server as a listener at all are you? If you are, I don't believe you need to do that.
Juppers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2002, 01:08 PM   #74 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Nope.

-- Rob
Old 08-22-2002, 08:23 PM   #75 (Print)
dbdevault

I installed YAC .13 yesterday........ first I tried it with a Sportster v.90 modem and could not get the callerid info passed through to YAC or hyperterm. So I swapped that modem out with a USR Courier V.EVERYTHING modem and voila.... it worked great. Installed the listener on another PC and all was swell. Now today for some reason when the phone would ring I would not get the bubble popping up on the machine running the server....... but it would pop up on the box running the listener agent. And the call would appear in the call log.
The only thing I've done to the machine in the past day is to download the XP java support from www.sun.com as I needed it for a work project. Not sure what could cause this issue. This is a really nice program....... very well done. Hopefully it will continue to evolve. My hat off to all the coders involved.
dbdevault is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-23-2002, 03:19 AM   #76 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX
I have the same issue (double-notifications) on my ultra-plain LAN. It just never bothered me enough to bring it up. Checked the list, I'm only in there once. I have two listeners (different PCs) configured.

Since I can't reproduce the problem, it's hard for me to know where to start. DJRobX, you seem to be able to debug through the code--perhaps you could take a look if you have a chance and let me know if you find anything incriminating.

I'll also try to reproduce on my LAN.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #77 (Print)
RxMan

DJRobX

DJRobX

Hey. I ordered the exact same modem that you did (from the same place). I am also running Win XP Pro. If you still have it, would you mind emailing me the driver that you installed? I am trying to eliminate as many problems as possible.

Send to RxMan@ziplip.com

THANKS!
RxMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #78 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Got my TurboNet card yesterday -- YAC is working GREAT on my DirecTiVo now. Thanks josquin for the software and DJRobX for the tips on the modem driver problem.

Old 08-25-2002, 01:42 PM   #79 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Quote:
Since I can't reproduce the problem, it's hard for me to know where to start. DJRobX, you seem to be able to debug through the code--perhaps you could take a look if you have a chance and let me know if you find anything incriminating.
Yep, the only trouble is that the YAC server is on a different machine that doesn't have VS.NET on it. As soon as I get a chance I'll install it on there. I'll see what I can find and I'll let you know.

-- Rob
Old 08-25-2002, 10:16 PM   #80 (Print)
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Double notification here, too.

I have yac installed on two PCs connected via a LinkSys cable/DSL router. The listener PC gets the double notification, the server does not.

The wierd thing is that if I do a listener test then both PCs only get one notify. It's only with real data that it doubles up on the listener.
Mars Rocket is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2002, 01:23 AM   #81 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by Mars Rocket
Double notification here, too.

I have yac installed on two PCs connected via a LinkSys cable/DSL router. The listener PC gets the double notification, the server does not.

The wierd thing is that if I do a listener test then both PCs only get one notify. It's only with real data that it doubles up on the listener.

I believe I have found a possible source of this bug via code inspection. I'm preparing to release a 0.14 with this bug fix. When it comes out, please let me know if it fixes your double notification problem.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:27 PM   #82 (Print)
Lightman

Tivo get name but not number

Getting the name on Tivo, but no phone number. When I receive one of the named numbers, then I get the name as I've entered it, but I get some other default number. I would think that if I was getting the name, then the port would be working okay. Could this still be a port problem or is something else likely ?

Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 PM   #83 (Print)
RxMan

Thanks to josquin and DJRobx. I have everything working. The service runs fine on my computer, but, the listener on my tivo runs sporatically. When I type YAC at a bash prompt I get no response. When I type yac &, I get some numbers and return to promt. It works fine right then, but, after an hour or so it doesn't work. Any ideas. I have some other scripts running, do I need to include this into those processes?
RxMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2002, 09:26 PM   #84 (Print)
gardavis

I tried to set up yac as a WinXP service using the srvany program from the Win2k Resource Kit. It seems to be set up but caller ID is not being displayed. The yac process is running under an admin account. Nothing is in the event log.

Any ideas? It works fine if started interactively.

Thanks,
Gary
gardavis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2002, 09:31 PM   #85 (Print)
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Re: Tivo get name but not number

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightman
Getting the name on Tivo, but no phone number. When I receive one of the named numbers, then I get the name as I've entered it, but I get some other default number. I would think that if I was getting the name, then the port would be working okay. Could this still be a port problem or is something else likely ?

Try using HyperTerminal on the PC you have the modem in/on and see what it's returning when a call comes in.

In HyperTerminal, type:

AT+vcid=1<return>

It should respond with "OK". Now wait for a call (or call from a different line) and watch what it reports, and post back here.

Also, look at your C:\Windows\ModemLog*.txt file and see what the modem is doing with the cid repsonses (i.e. whether or not they are recognized properly)

If you don't get an "OK" after entering the initial command above it could be that your modem uses a different method of turning on cid functions. Let us know and we can help find the right one.
Mars Rocket is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #86 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

gardavis: Have you set it up so that it can interact with the desktop?

One thing I noticed when I ran mine with srvany is that it came up and asked me to pick a modem again. If you ran it without the desktop enabled, it might be stuck waiting for you to answer it. I left the account alone as the system account and it's working just fine.

Another thing is to try enabling (or disabling, if its enabled) the modem sharing option.

-- Rob
Old 08-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #87 (Print)
gardavis

Quote:
gardavis: Have you set it up so that it can interact with the desktop?

No, I went the other route, to not interact with the desktop since the doc said if you set interactive, network support is disabled. However, I will try that option.

I did not change the modem sharing.

Thanks,
Gary
gardavis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2002, 12:51 AM   #88 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX
One thing I noticed when I ran mine with srvany is that it came up and asked me to pick a modem again. If you ran it without the desktop enabled, it might be stuck waiting for you to answer it. I left the account alone as the system account and it's working just fine.

That's a good point. YAC won't prompt to use a modem if and only if HKCU\Software\YAC\Device is a REG_SZ that matches the device string of one of your modems. Normally, the dialog sets this for you when you choose "always use this modem", but if you're running in some other user context, you would have to make sure whatever HKCU gets mapped in that context has the regkey set.

I could probably add a command-line switch like yac.exe -device "U.S. Robotics V92 Fax PCI" that would override the registry and make it easier to run YAC as a service.

Long term, I would still like to have an option built-in to run YAC as a service, but it's at least a few weekends of work.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:56 AM   #89 (Print)
josquin
root

Announcing: YAC 0.14

I uploaded YAC 0.14 for Windows tonight.

This release is designed to fix the duplicate notifications some people are reporting with listeners on their networks. There are no new features in 0.14.

If you have been seeing duplicate notifications, could you please install 0.14 and let me know if the problem is fixed? I'm definitely not 100% sure it's gone (since I cannot reproduce the problem myself), but I found something in the code that seems like it could be the culprit.

If you are not seeing duplicate notifications, you can stick with 0.13.

Thanks again for reporting problems, giving feedback, etc. You make it more fun to spend my nights making YAC better.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:06 AM   #90 (Print)
josquin
root

Quote:
Originally posted by RxMan
Thanks to josquin and DJRobx. I have everything working. The service runs fine on my computer, but, the listener on my tivo runs sporatically. When I type YAC at a bash prompt I get no response. When I type yac &, I get some numbers and return to promt. It works fine right then, but, after an hour or so it doesn't work. Any ideas. I have some other scripts running, do I need to include this into those processes?

When you run "yac &", you are telling Linux to run YAC listener in a background process. The second number TiVo is spitting out is the process identifier (PID) for YAC. You can see all processes on your TiVo by typing "ps x" without the quotes. This is expected.

There may be an easy way to tell what's going on. Make sure YAC isn't running on your TiVo (reboot if you don't know how to list and kill processes using ps and kill) and then type: yac -D

...run some test calls, and post the results here. This runs YAC listener for TiVo in a diagnostic mode that may help figure out what's going wrong.