View Poll Results: Did you get it to Work
Yes! 73 68.22%
No (please reply) 34 31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #121 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

billk I've got a hdvr2 that I reverted to the version that they ship with and the Ethernet works great. Once you get them talking to your LAN then you can have them do their dailly calls over the Ethernet and not worry about that part anymore. To prevent the upgrade when you are editing the bootpage you can add one flag that will keep from ever upgrading until you change it out.

-Mike

that's a standing offer - anything I can do, anytime. Jobeth66
I spit it out on the ground (oh, how I wanted to swallow!). InigoMontoya
Combat Medic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #122 (Print)
jerryv

Why?

The big question, which is not answered anywhere here, is why I want to do any of this. I've upgraded the hardrives on both my DirectTIVos: 214 hrs on one, 107 on the other. But whydo I want any of this?

The thing I'd like is to have my two machines networked so that they share To Do Lists, Now Playing , etc.

But please let me know what I can gain with Tivonet, Turbonet, etc.

Thanks!
jerryv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #123 (Print)
MichaelK

Re: what happens to units the upgrade to 3.2

Quote:
Originally posted by billk
Sorry if this sound a little slow. I have read this thread and am trying to understand a little more about 3.1 hdvr2's that have been ethernet enabled. It sounds like they then download 3.2 software, but that's been booby trapped to disable the ethernet. Are the units still useable in their tivo capacity? For how long, if so.
I ask because I have a fresh hdvr2. I have no phone line so it's never been updated. I have installed a larger drive as per Ingineers post and saved the barely used maxtor it came with. The only thing it can do is watch direvtv and pause live tv. I can't get it to connect with vonage for the test call, so no recording capability. I'm just wondering what I can do to enable more tivo capability. If I get it to ethernet capability will it work for at least a while, or does that 3.2 upgrade take it out immediately?
Bill

but i'm not sure in the first place why vonage wont work. (Thats VOIP- right?) I would assume that a modem connection would work over that - no? Have you fidled with all the phone line settings on the tivo- like dail tone detection, etc?

If Vonage definately wont allow for modem connections over their network, please post, I'd like to know.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 09:57 PM   #124 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Dialing over vonage sometimes works, to increase it's chances you need to slowdown the modem. To answer Jerry's question about sharing data, you'll have to wait for TiVo's new service and fork out the extra money.

-Mike

that's a standing offer - anything I can do, anytime. Jobeth66
I spit it out on the ground (oh, how I wanted to swallow!). InigoMontoya
Combat Medic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #125 (Print)
billk

Glad to hear there's still some hope.
Is "just set upgradesoftware=false as one of your bootparams to greatly reduce the risk.." what prevents the upgrade to 3.2?
Also, in the second part of Ingineers instructions for setting up the ethernet he says:
" Be sure to replace my IP address settings (blue) with your IP addresses for the TiVo, the Broadcast, and the Gateway (router). " My linksys will assign IP addresses depending on the order stuff is turned on(I think--dhcp). Does this mess up the IP address settings that I enter for the Tivo? Every time I've tried to get the linksys to assign static IP addresses to my stuff it's caused problems. What is the IP address for "the Broadcast".
Bill
billk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #126 (Print)
billk

connecing with vonage

I am looking at the ethernet again because I've been trying for a while to get it to connect with vonage's voice over ip service.
I have tried ,#034 and ,#019 and even ,#096 to slow it down. Still can't connect. I set "phone avail detection " to off and "dial tone detection" to off so I could listen in with another phone. It makes the connection, tries to negotiate whatever, but it just won't talk. I've considered that listening in might be a source of interference, so mostly I try it without listening in.
Do the ,#019 and ,#096 actually do anything on the hdvr2?
I have rearranged the cords so that they are not near any sources of noise, such as a powerbrick. I am still using the long cord the hdrv2 came with, though.
Bill
Old 01-19-2003, 10:45 PM   #127 (Print)
trubin

Quote:
Originally posted by fr3d
Does signatures contain a list of hashes or a list of encrypted hashes (eg signatures) if it is the encrypted hash couldn't the signature file from the combo unit just be updated to reflect the new binaries from the SA?

If thats not the case, e.g signatures just has hashes and the kernel has a built in signature of the appropriate signature file then I suppose your right.

Fr3d

the sig's are kept in the kernel(initrd), basically, and you can't change the kernel, because this will change its signature, if you could properly sign the kernel yourself, or use a properly signed kernel that has a vulnerability, then you are almost in...
trubin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 11:25 PM   #128 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by trubin
the sig's are kept in the kernel(initrd), basically, and you can't change the kernel, because this will change its signature, if you could properly sign the kernel yourself, or use a properly signed kernel that has a vulnerability, then you are almost in...

Trubin - if all of the signatures are in the kernel what is in the signatures file?

Here is my current understanding:
1. Bios has mac or sig of kernel in it, bios looks at mac/sig of kernel before loading.
2. Kernel makes sure all things it loads are signed (createprocess, loadlibrary, etc.) by comparing the hash of the file to the encrypted hash in the signatures file by decrypting each encrypted hash and comparing it to the hash it calculates.
3. Some code executed by the kernel executes digs through the filesystem to make sure that files not included in its original layout are removed (with special exceptions that are hard coded).

If the signatures file itself is not directly signed; eg the kernel does not contain a encrypted hash of the signature file (for this to be true the signature file would just contain hashes and not individualy encrypted hashes).

One should be able to add other encypted hashes to the signatures file. These encrypted hashes would have to gave been encrypted using the same key the other hashes were but this shouldnt be a problem since the SA is same architecure (eg same binaries can be used on both), the same keys were used (it looks like this is the case) and they both require signed binaries (they both have signature files.

Fr3d
fr3d is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-19-2003, 11:35 PM   #129 (Print)
stormsweeper
How *you* doin'?

Quote:
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
By the way, in case you didn't see this article, here's an amusing quote from Bob Poniatowski, a TiVo product marketing manager:

Riiiiiiight..

Umm, I think he as referring to the people using 30s skip, correct?
stormsweeper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM   #130 (Print)
trubin

Yes...
except
2) kernel does a hand-off with initrd, then initrd checks the OS partition once, via matching file signatures with the signatures of the OS files, then it hands the OS to the kernel. The hashe's are stored or in the initrd binary file, I believe, and it generates, on-the-fly, the hash's of the files presented as the OS.

Making a modification to any file on the 3.X OS will cause the signature to be invalid, this accounts for the Kernel, init.rd, and boot/launch scripts.

b.t.w. Was there more than one version, of the 3.X kernel released on the HDVR2?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #131 (Print)
MichaelK

Re: connecing with vonage

Quote:
I am looking at the ethernet again because I've been trying for a while to get it to connect with vonage's voice over ip service.
I have tried ,#034 and ,#019 and even ,#096 to slow it down. Still can't connect. I set "phone avail detection " to off and "dial tone detection" to off so I could listen in with another phone. It makes the connection, tries to negotiate whatever, but it just won't talk. I've considered that listening in might be a source of interference, so mostly I try it without listening in.
Do the ,#019 and ,#096 actually do anything on the hdvr2?
I have rearranged the cords so that they are not near any sources of noise, such as a powerbrick. I am still using the long cord the hdrv2 came with, though.
Bill

Not to muddy up this thread but maybe this helps the vonage problem-

i'm certainly no expert on VOIP, but it sounds to me like a similar problem that people have getting modem connections over cell phones or wireless phone jacks. It seems the analog-digital and back to analog conversion limits your connection speeds. Personnally i've found that part of the equation is the POP's (the phone number you are calling to make the modem connection) are set to only accept calls above a certain speed rate so if you can only negotiate 14.4 or whatever they hang up on you- presumably they are assuming you just got a bad connection and want you to hang up and try again. Anyhow, the way i've gotten around this in the past is just trying different dial up numbers till i found one that would connect at the slow speed i needed. Since you have vonage you can call anyplace for free- no? So i'd set the modem to connect at a low speed with the prefix trick and than start trying other numbers- maybe even other area codes. If you can figure out one thats in a rural area that would be your best bet, since they probably assume people could only get slower connections due to distances at those POP's.

I use my pcs phone as a 'modem' for my laptop. I cant use my regular access number to call in because of the above mess. By trial and error I found a number across the state that accepts the 14.4 connection the phone will allow, and since i have free long distance on the phone i just use that number no matter where in in the country I am.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #132 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by trubin
Yes...
except
2) kernel does a hand-off with initrd, then initrd checks the OS partition once, via matching file signatures with the signatures of the OS files, then it hands the OS to the kernel. The hashe's are stored or in the initrd binary file, I believe, and it generates, on-the-fly, the hash's of the files presented as the OS.

Making a modification to any file on the 3.X OS will cause the signature to be invalid, this accounts for the Kernel, init.rd, and boot/launch scripts.

b.t.w. Was there more than one version, of the 3.X kernel released on the HDVR2?

Yes there was a second version released, both did signature checking but one removed the ability to do the bootparams BASH_ENV hack.

I am confused which hashes are stored in inetrd??? Once again it looks like the signature file contains a list of actual signatures and since signatures have native integrity they may not have had the os (inetrd/kernel) check it explicitly. Given this one would be able to take other signed binaries form the SA and their associated signatures from the SA signature file and add/replace the respective signatures in the HDVR2 signatures file.
fr3d is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2003, 01:00 PM   #133 (Print)
trubin

as soon as you change the signature file, it no longer is properly signed.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:33 AM   #134 (Print)
Keven

Lost Ethernet Connection

FYI - I have two HDVR2s. I had thought that a software upgrade, I went from 3.1.U5-01-2-151 to 3.1.0-01-2-151, caused me to lose the changes I made (per Imgineer's posts).

But on my second HDVR2 I still show the original 3.1.UT-01-2-151 version, but after booting the TiVo several times (to check on various issues) I no longer have any Ethernet connection.

I suppose I could put the TiVo drives back in my PC and restore a few things, but it sounds like TiVo will send the software upgrade anyway (some have mentioned adding an option to the boot parms, but that doesn't seem to always work?).

So, I'm hoping someone else can find a way around this problem. There were some software enhancements to the Series 1 TiVos that were helpful and I'd like to get them on the HDVR2.

Keven
Keven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #135 (Print)
pdog
Whack MC

Re: Lost Ethernet Connection

Sounds like your /var partition was cleaned out. This happened to me to which is why I moved all the scripts into the read-only /dev/hda16 partition:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...5196#post905196

Quote:
Originally posted by Keven
FYI - I have two HDVR2s. I had thought that a software upgrade, I went from 3.1.U5-01-2-151 to 3.1.0-01-2-151, caused me to lose the changes I made (per Imgineer's posts).

But on my second HDVR2 I still show the original 3.1.UT-01-2-151 version, but after booting the TiVo several times (to check on various issues) I no longer have any Ethernet connection.

I suppose I could put the TiVo drives back in my PC and restore a few things, but it sounds like TiVo will send the software upgrade anyway (some have mentioned adding an option to the boot parms, but that doesn't seem to always work?).

So, I'm hoping someone else can find a way around this problem. There were some software enhancements to the Series 1 TiVos that were helpful and I'd like to get them on the HDVR2.

Keven

Old 01-21-2003, 06:47 PM   #136 (Print)
trubin

Re: Lost Ethernet Connection

Quote:
Originally posted by Keven

Keven

I wonder if its an obvious change, on the surface, of the problem, that can make it work?
Old 01-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #137 (Print)
brian873

> If the El Gamal verifies, the hash value that it was
> protecting is compared against one computed now
> over (2)+(3). If the hash compare fails, the boot halts.

How strong is the hashing algorithm used for this part of the process? Would it be possible to create code in (2)+(3) that is modified yet still allows it to pass the hashing check? Since the hashing is done by the tivo we should have the binary code that is performing the hashing. Same question applies to the hashing algorithm protecting linuxrc.. ?

Brian
brian873 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #138 (Print)
gregggreg

Quote:
Originally posted by brian873

How strong is the hashing algorithm used for this part of the process? Would it be possible to create code in (2)+(3) that is modified yet still allows it to pass the hashing check? Since the hashing is done by the tivo we should have the binary code that is performing the hashing. Same question applies to the hashing algorithm protecting linuxrc.. ?

Brian

I think MuscleNerd made references (and I have seen others too) to the hashes being SHA or SHA-1 which is a 160-bit secure hashing function. More unique than MD5 and pretty much impossible to change one bit of a file and not have the hash be completely different. This is pretty much the defacto standard of digital signatures today.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #139 (Print)
trubin

i.e. If greg got a hair cut, anyone could tell...
Old 01-22-2003, 09:54 PM   #140 (Print)
trubin

So, what are the differences between the two kernels that Keven spoke of?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #141 (Print)
ElectricLegs

Quote:
And to summarize all the hashes being computed, in order:

a) bootcode computes sha hash of most of itself and compares against the the value stored in the small section that isn't covered by the hash. If the hashes aren't equal, boot halts.

b) bootcode loads the boot partition in accordance with my post above. The hash in section (4) is protected by its El Gamal signature. If the El Gamal verify of (4) fails, the boot halts. If the El Gamal verifies, the hash value that it was protecting is compared against one computed now over (2)+(3). If the hash compare fails, the boot halts.

c) later on, the linuxrc uses the list of hashes contained in the initrd to verify most everything on the root partition. If a particular hash compare fails, the file is replaced. If any files have been replaced, a reboot is made.

The patches to the bootcode prom that disable (a) and (b) are out there, but they're not much use unless you can desolder your prom. With (a) and (b) disabled, (c) doesn't matter because we can just replace the initrd with one that doesn't do the checking. We can make this replacement only after (b) is disabled. And (b) can be disabled only after (a) is.

If creating a working prom and modding/disabling the initrd are our only stumbling blocks on the S2 and S2dTivo then we're mostly golden. Getting people a way to flash the prom on their own is then the major hurdle. I suggest a modded "getprom" on a SA that won't check the version or "magic number". It won't flash the S2 binary to a blank, S1 or S2 prom without the magic number error.

Socketing the prom is actually very easy with no special tools and getting bad proms fixed/replaced is not a problem either. (I can help you there) If someone's interested in taking care of getprom and "C" above many of us can play with the S2 boxes again.

I have a S2 SA to play with but need some help with the initrd at this point.
ElectricLegs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #142 (Print)
brian873

Ok here's an idea I had.. is it possible?

We have a signed working image that is hackable (The U5 image that originally shipped with the tivo). Using the BASH_ENV hack, we can run arbitrary code on that version. Only problem is, if we restore to that then we can't run the new software updates. Would it be possible to set up two operating system partitions ? (one with the U5 code and one with the -2-151 code) Use the U5 bootloader, and allow it to load the U5 os version. (since all this is virgin tivo code, it should signature verify fine). With a BASH_ENV hack, this runs our hackinit script, starting our custom software (tivoweb, etc). Part of our script then could kill the U5 tivo processes (leaving only the custom software and bash prompt running). Then the script remounts the new version os partition as the one to be used, and starts the new tivo software version. Thus we are running updated software, but the U5 boot loader was used initially allowing us to run hackinit.

Can this work? If so does anyone know a location for a U5 image so it can be tested (all I have unfortunately is a 2-151 image, since I foolishly did not backup my tivo before it got updated) If anyone has an HDVR2 U5 image, or knows where to get one could you please PM me? Thx.

Brian
brian873 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2003, 09:47 PM   #143 (Print)
jwixted

Send a message via ICQ to jwixted Send a message via AIM to jwixted Send a message via Yahoo to jwixted
Arrow Smoked my DHVR2!

Well, followed the instructions here, and backed up my virgin source drive. Didn't have another drive laying around, so I continued on with writing the image back to the source drive. Of course, there's a decompression error along the way, and I've been unable to fully restore the backup. (I know, I know, should have went out and gotten another drive...). Any suggestions on what to do now? Anywhere I can download a virgin image?
jwixted is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #144 (Print)
n2o

Card Check

Hi folks,

Has anyone looked at the location for the P4 card check?

(Before anyone gets anxious about hacker questions... I don't have access to P4 here in Canada so my sub'ed HU [using an expensive 3rd party in the US] has to do. :-) )

I have read the prom mod thread and it certainly seems that a hardware solution is being developed. Not too portable for many, but may cause a small cottage industry to jump up!

Nice work folks...

Nitrous
n2o is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-18-2003, 12:42 AM   #145 (Print)
billk

I've tried the bash upgrade many times, but no luck.
When I do bootpage -p I get something like what I typed in with bootpage -P, but most of the "\" are removed. There's a few other differences, I think. I've looked at it very carefully and used the ` and not the '. I also paid careful attention to the hackinit file. It looked like what I typed in with the cat command.
The serial cable correctly echos characters back, hyperterm is set at 9600 n 8 1.
What happens when I add power is that there's a quick flash of something white on a black background, but it rolls(like vertical sync is out) several times and then I get the "welcome. powering up" page. After about a minute, just about when the "almost there" should appear the screen does the rolling trick again and it's back to "welcome. powering up" then after about a minute it does the "almost there" and then gets the satalite info. Never do I get any kind of output over the serial line, nor does it respond to anything over the serial line. It works normally, though.
When I put the drive back in the pc and type bootpage -p /dev/hdc I don't get the modified one like I did before. Instead it's the stock "root=/dev/hda7". The hack directory is still there, though.
This is a HDVR2 that has never made it's initial call.
It is using software 3.1.0-01-2-151
Anyone have something like this that they have solved before?
I am running a new drive. The stock drive is stored away. I made the backup and restore when I was hooked to a fat32 system. Since then I use a different computer that has the only the cdrom as hda(ide0 master) and tivo drive as hdc(ide1 master). There is no other drive. Do you think that this would mess with the instructions in post #1?
Bill Knighton

Last edited by billk : 02-18-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #146 (Print)
TheD0CTOR

Ok, call me stupid, but I can't find the U5 image anywhere. My new hdvr2 came with a newer version. Can someone point me in the right direction for U5?

Thanks...
Doc
TheD0CTOR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #147 (Print)
jwixted

Send a message via ICQ to jwixted Send a message via AIM to jwixted Send a message via Yahoo to jwixted
TheDOCTOR: Check your PM...

DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 Samsung 120Gb 5400rpm | USB Ethernet | 802.11b Wireless Bridge | Telnet | FTP | TivoWeb
TiVo Series2 Samsung 120Gb 5400rpm

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.
-unknown
jwixted is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-04-2003, 11:15 AM   #148 (Print)
pdog
Whack MC

There's your problem.

Quote:

It is using software 3.1.0-01-2-151

Old 03-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #149 (Print)
kdfox

Send a message via AIM to kdfox
Question HDVR2 USB Port Power

Ingineer,

Great thread. This will be a classic as has been noted before. Very interested in the power to the USB port.

I'm using a tested Linksys WUSB11 wireless adaptor which gets its power from the port itself. As is now obvious, no power is the Directv answer to a problem we can only guess at.

Keep up the great work.

KD
kdfox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2003, 05:05 PM   #150 (Print)
kdfox

Send a message via AIM to kdfox
Question HDVR2 107 hours and USB Ethernet

Quote:
Originally posted by pdog
There's your problem.

Your signature line suggests you have USB Ethernet working with a HDVR2, is this true?
kdfox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post